Aircraft

Started by Arcey, January 05, 2009, 12:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Horse Bailey

"Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing" says the old Pilot's Axiom.

I feel the same about my lessons in a Cherokee 140 or 180.  I'm sure I could do a thorough pre-flight and get it off the ground and fly around.  Landing, on the other hand ... Like you, I KNOW I'd get it down.  One way or another.

It's kinda like old Bill Dana used to say in his Jose' Jimenez's  "The Astronaut" hilarious comedic skits.

Asked about landing by the Interviewer, Jose' replies; (In his dialect, of course) "I am going to be landing in Nevava - in de state of Nevava.  I am conveenced that they will get me back to earth ... ... just ... how far into eet?  That's what I'm not conveenced about !!" 

(Interviewer asks;)  "Surely they've made some provisions to break your fall ?!!"

(Jose')  "To break my Fall ??  Chure ... Nevava !" 

[Nevava = Nevada; conveenced = convinced.  For those who might not unnerstan' waaay south of the Rio Grande dialects
;)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Arcey

Ain't thought of Bill Dana in a long time. Thanks for that.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Steel Horse Bailey

Glad to help.  Now, I have to make a last minute munchies run before I head out to the NCOWS 2013 National Shoot.  I'll be talking a lot of airplanes with our own aviation enthusiast Jimmy "Texas Lawdog" Reed while there!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Arcey

Have ya a memorable time. One with a pile of fun in it.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

litl rooster

I went over to the Manassas Airport last week to look at Fifi, it was $600 for a ride in her. I am sure it is an experiance of a life time. But way to rich for my experiances :o

I always said you give me enough runway I can get a light plane off the ground someone else better land it.

Mathew 5.9

Major 2

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on June 04, 2013, 06:45:40 AM
I figger I'm past 61, nearly 62 so I ain't gonna worry much about it.  I'll prob'ly kick the bucket long before that asbestos brake dust, asbestos tank heater insulation, and other asbestos-related crap develops into meso-whutthe-heckia.  I got enough issues right now that them sawbones couldn't tell iffn sumthin' new comes around.
;)

'Course, I'd rather NOT have them issues in the 1st place!

I haven't yet had a chance to fly in ever'thin' I wanted to!  If some AT-6 or an SNJ (Navy AT-6) comes to town to take rides an' I can shoehorn my fat arse into one of the seats, I'm gonna be sorely tempted!  (Or it could be a twin-control biplane like a Stearman, or maybe a Mosquito ... well, you know.)  I'm goin' UP!

I gave up on a ride in a twin-seat P-51 back about 17 or 18 YEARS ago when we were at one of the Kissimmee airports and they had "10-20 min." (guaranteed!) rides fer ONLY $1500!  A bit rich for my blood.  Or bloody pocketbook, as the case may be.

;D

Jeff. it's a might more $$$ these days P-51 Mustang $3,250 an hour ($700 an hour for the T-6 Texan).
when planets align...do the deal !

Texas Lawdog

SHB and I did have a great visit at the National Shoot. The weather was hot and muggy. The restoration on the "Flying Banana" is coming along along fine.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Steel Horse Bailey

Indeed!  My guns shot better than I can, the weather was pretty good ('tho the sun & humid-idity was more than uncomfortable for ME) and I had a great friend to pass the time with.  My wife woulda listened to about 2 minutes of mine  & Tex LD's conversation and said:   "You two are like a couple old hens.  Do you guys EVER talk about ANYTHING besides airplanes & guns???!!!????"

;D

Texas Lawdog

We did talk a lot about  guns, old planes, and tanks. We had a good visit. We live too far apart to see each other very often. We keep in touch by phone and internet. We have a lot of interests together and always have a good time being together. Jeff is a good friend.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Major E A Sterner

Any one who is interested in flying on a Ford Tri Motor can go here to see where they will be over the summer,Only $75 the day of the flight...

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/fordtrimotor/
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Texas Lawdog

Major, That is a reasonable price for a ride. I wish they were nearer to my home. I would book a ride.   

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Major 2 on June 07, 2013, 08:11:14 AM
Jeff. it's a might more $$$ these days P-51 Mustang $3,250 an hour ($700 an hour for the T-6 Texan).

Looks like I'll NOT be going in the immediate future!

:(

:'(

Texas Lawdog

SHB, When I win the lottery,  We can book rides as much as we want.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on June 13, 2013, 02:14:54 PM
SHB, When I win the lottery,  We can book rides as much as we want.

Awesome!  Thanks!

Four-Eyed Buck

Fifi and a Mustang are in Akron at the moment. Saw a blurb on the news tonight. She's at Akron Municipal airport which is next to the Goodyear blimp dock ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Texas Lawdog

The P-51 is probably "Gun Fighter", which usually travels with "FIFI".

Four-Eyed Buck

Had a parade and concert at the East Sparta homecoming last night. Since I don't march, I waited at the band stand for them to get done on the route. While waiting, i checked in at the American Legion's tent for a while. There was an old fella sitting behind the table with an aircraft pin on his cover. Asked him if it was an F-6 and he said yes, he flew them off the Antietam during WW II. He also had some time in SBD's and FM-2's. That made my night! An honest to gosh Hellcat pilot! I thanked him for his service and got to shake his hand ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Texas Lawdog

Those WW 2  vets are getting fewer every day. It is great that you were able to visit with one.

litl rooster

So are wing walkers.       

20130623/US--Air.Show.Crash/
Mathew 5.9

Texas Lawdog

Roo,  Wing walkers are an endangered species.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com