Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 783784 times)

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1020 on: May 17, 2010, 07:20:28 PM »
Got this from a Pard, It's going on Memorial day weekend in Ct.

http://www.discoverymuseum.org/

Oops, wrong link, here's the correct one...The first one has some cool stuff too

http://wingsandwheelsct.org/Wings.html
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1021 on: May 18, 2010, 01:19:22 PM »
Thanks Major. They made some Corsair's here in Grand Prairie during WW2.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1022 on: May 19, 2010, 01:40:52 AM »
I am still amazed at the fact that these WW2 aircraft are 70 years old. It is a testiment to the loving care that these unpaid volunteers provide to keep these planes flying.   "Lest We Forget".
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #1023 on: Today at 09:09:08 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #1023 on: May 19, 2010, 06:08:07 PM »
Indeed!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1024 on: May 19, 2010, 06:41:22 PM »
There's a big article in this month's CAF Dispatch about our  B Model P51. It's painted in the colors of the 99th Fighter Squadron. It is flowen by the son of a Tuskogee airmen. He is a Capt. with Delta Airlines.

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #1025 on: May 19, 2010, 08:46:41 PM »
I got a call earlier from a shooting Pard who waned to let me know that a mutual friend of ours who was a SASS member passed away on Sat. He was 87 and flew C47's into China, India and Burma during WW2. He was also a very talented gunsmith who was always willing to help out with any kind of gun problem. If you know any WW2 Vets, thank them while you still can, we're losing more each day.His Alias was Deadly Don and he will be missed.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1026 on: May 20, 2010, 07:19:34 AM »
My sincere thanks for his service, Maj. May he rest in a wonderful ‘n hard earned peace.

A l’il more on the weekend’s show. With a short video.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/05/love-vintage-warplanes-grows-annual-event
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1027 on: May 20, 2010, 07:49:03 AM »
That was a great video, Arcey. I know that a good time will be had by all this weekend at Pungo.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1028 on: May 20, 2010, 11:39:07 AM »
That'd be right up my alley, Arcey. Vintage air craft and big band music ;D ;) 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1029 on: May 20, 2010, 05:53:17 PM »
The Planes of Fame Museum is going to have a F 86 demonstration on the first weekend in June. Their F 86 will be airborne as well as some former pilots from the Korean War will be there. I get emails from the POF outfit notifying us of their get togethers. I will try and pass on any info that I can about these things if any body is interested.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1030 on: May 21, 2010, 08:21:35 AM »
Hope they get a crowd, boys. What I’ve passed along is, to the best of my knowledge, all that’s been said ‘bout it. Asked ‘bout advertisin’ back when Tom ‘n I took a tour. Told me they didn’t do any.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1031 on: May 21, 2010, 08:28:15 AM »
They need to put out an internet newsletter about the Museum. I hope it works out for them. It costs a lot of money for fuel for those planes. The CAF has Fina on board for sponsorship for the AirSho each year.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1032 on: May 22, 2010, 04:23:47 PM »
The place is on a two lane road. Not enough folks to mess up traffic. Lookin’ as I went by there was a crowd of folks in there. Pile of tents. Airplanes parked beside the runway. Got me a spot couple hundred yards either way of a quarter mile from the end of the runway.

Right at 1330 a P-40 busted from behind the trees, *alls-to-the-wall. She stayed straight south ‘til she was outtah sight. Scared the hell outtah my l’il Japanese truck.

A few minutes later a high wing thing lookin’ like a big Cessna went up. Sounded like it needed a big chug of Geritol.

Next one up was FANTASTIC! A white airplane with a red cowl ‘round a radial ‘n she was screamin’. Weren’t off the ground much ‘n the pilot stood ‘er up on ‘er right wing-tip, did a 180 degree turn, leveled ‘er off into a climb north bound. Still well within sight when he banked ‘er to the east headed towards the ocean front.

Thinkin’ she was the plane modified to resemble a Japanese bomber ‘n used in Tora, Tora, Tora. The maneuver was so quick I didn’t get a glimpse of a meatball. That particular plane doesn’t belong to the museum. She’s on indefinite loan in exchange for maintenance ‘n indoor storage.

Then nothing. Waited ‘bout twenty minutes. Figgered if they were gonna throw three up at a time every half or full hour I’d head on back to Kempsville.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1033 on: May 22, 2010, 04:36:06 PM »
Was over in the industrial area right on the west edge of the Lincoln Airport the other day, ain't been over there in several years.  Was a C-119 there for years with out engines used for storage.  It's gone, I hope it went to a good home where it will be restored.  Next time I'm in the work dept and one of the guys from LAA is there I'll have to quiz them and see what they know.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1034 on: May 22, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »
Found this ad the other day, kinda neat old plane:

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1035 on: May 22, 2010, 04:58:26 PM »
For several years the Tora Tora Tora boys weren't members of the CAF. They finally organized their own CAF Squadron. I never get tired of those old planes. They are really my first love. I love the sight and smell of them.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #1036 on: May 30, 2010, 06:46:03 AM »
Got an early morning air show this am.  Weather it's near 70°-cloud less- wind 2 to 3mph to the SE. Got a Hot air ballon about 200' off the deck and a Briggs and Straton engine wiith a seat and a wing circling him. It's still too early for the Air Circus to get out. Just right for the private owner operators.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1037 on: May 30, 2010, 09:27:07 PM »
Down at Ambush At Mill Creek in Norco this weekend and saw the Northrop "flying wing" sail by almost overhead.  Only about 5 miles from Planes Of Fame at Chino.  
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1038 on: May 31, 2010, 09:42:20 PM »
Forty, When I was at the POF museum, the flying wing was in pieces around the museum.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1039 on: June 01, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »
They have one, a single seater I think, up and running.  Has maybe a 40 or 50 foot wingspan is all.  I've seen it flying a couple of times in the last few months.  It's been more or less complete since the late 90's, just waiting for some stuff to be built, rebuild, repaired, tuned, etc.

Might have another one.  Seems I heard they did, but won't swear to it.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com