Spacing edge stamping

Started by Wiley Desperado, January 02, 2009, 09:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiley Desperado

When I edge stamp, lets say a shell stamp, I just pick a starting place and go and hope for the best, some times it works out even on the spacing and sometimes I have to squeeze one in or stretch one out if you know what I mean. Now there must be a better way so would some of you share your spacing techniques, thanks in advance.   

Springfield Slim

If it is a holster with a loop I plan it so the stamping starts and ends under where the loop will be. If not, I  just do what you do. I don't try and over engineer it, it is a handmade piece and there will be errors.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

cowboywc

Howdy
When I do any border stamps, I work from both ends to the middle. When I have a space about the size
of 4 stamps left I set the stamps in lightly to see how they fit. If I need to stretch or squeeze it's not as
noticeable as with just the last stamp.
Hope this makes sense.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

I've been spacing the last 4 or 5 like you do, WC except it never occurred to me to do it in the middle. It's always worked out, but I can seehow if it didn't, it would be best at the middle rather then an end. Thanks for the great tip, WC. I'll mend my errant ways.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

HorsePen Henry

Ditto on what Will and WC says. I do the same way on silver or leather. Fools 'em everytime. One a my buddies said," if it looks right it's right. "

Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Wiley Desperado

I knew ya'll would have some good ideas thanks for the tips. 

JD Alan

Good ol' Chuck Burrows does that on his excellent DVD on holster making. MAN, is that ever a help for a rookie to go back to.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com