Antique Lacing Horse

Started by outrider, January 01, 2009, 08:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outrider

Howdy Pards,

I am just back from a junket to Iowa.  Unfortunately, my other half had an allergic reaction to something and we had to cut our trip short and return early.  However before that happened we were in an antique shop in Ottumwa, Iowa and I spotted something over in the corner with other things piled on it.  Low and behold it was this old lacing horse...so after some dickering we bought it.  While talking with the owner of the shop I was informed that I had just missed out on an original H.H. Heiser holster and belt.  Needless to say my jaw dropped a little but the gentleman took my card and promised to let me know if any other antique leather comes across his counter.

Please excuse the messy work shop...it usually is not that dirty
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

will ghormley

Hey Outrider,

Nice score on the stitchin' horse!  It's hard to come by full size stitchin' horses in useable condition.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a great horse, Outrider. What a find. I notice that the clamping strap is leather. That would be much better than my horse since it uses a cable with no stretch to it. The leather would hold the item better. I may have to convert mine to use a leather strap or something similar, perhaps conveyor belt material. Thanks for posting the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

I saw an older one at the Leather show in Pendleton, Oregon, in early November. The seller had a price tag of $550.00. I don't know if it sold, since I left the show with two full days yet to go. A very nice find, WC. Even if it wasn't useable, it's a great conversation piece, and a fine thing to desplay. 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Gun Butcher

Well Outrider, you obviously have a fine eye for antiques, but, I don't think you have a good grasp of a " dirty shop". ::)  LOL, if you ever saw mine when I have a couple of rifles in the works and two or three other projects hanging fire you would probably start a committee to get me drummed out of the club ;D

Very nice find  :D 

Gun Butcher
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

RollingThunder

Well didn't the sun shine on the southbound end of a northbound dog there! Very nice! My saddler-buddy built his, because he couldn't afford a brand new one, and couldn't find a used one he liked.

Great catch!
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Dalton Masterson

Nice find! There is one in a local antique shop here, but its marked at 400 and change. Thats a lot of other stuff I can get before that. They come up on auctions all the time around here too. Havent been able to nab one tho. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

outrider

Dalton,

This one was marked at $160.00....got him down to $100.00 even...I think it was worth it
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Dalton Masterson

SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: outrider on January 02, 2009, 06:52:47 PMThis one was marked at $160.00....got him down to $100.00 even...I think it was worth it
I think you stole it, pard. That's a really good buy. ;)

If that's an indication of how he prices stuff, you may get a great collector's grade holster from him one of these days.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Wiley Desperado

Outrider you did good thanks for sharing.

cowboywc

Howdy
That is a god price. Most of them I've seen have been $125 or higher.
I'm still waiting to find one like this for a good price.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com