Ink marks on finished leather??

Started by Deadeye Don, December 30, 2008, 06:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye Don

I received a gift from my wife of a Jesse James rig made by a well known maker for Christmas.  Nicely done rig with the exception of numerous what appears to be ink lines on the finished product.  It looks as if the leather maker drew marking lines of some sort and then forgot to erase them prior to dying the leather.  Is this a normal thing to do?   I was pretty surprised.  I thought I would get your take on this before calling him.  Thanks.  Regards.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

JD Alan

If it's the well known guy I think it is, he's one stand up guy, and easy to talk to.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Deadeye Don

Quote from: JD Alan on December 30, 2008, 08:25:43 AM
If it's the well known guy I think it is, he's one stand up guy, and easy to talk to.

So are you saying it is kind of sloppy workmanship?

JD Alan

Not at all. I'm saying I believe you can talk to the guy, and he'll be straight with you. From what I can tell on this forum, if you ordered something from any guy here, and had a problem, they'd work hard to make it right for you. 

JP Anderson

I work in wood, leather and steel and one of my favorite layout pencils is a Berol Verithin Silver # 753. I originally bought one as advised by the experts for welding as it won't contaminate the weld like a graphite pencil. I use it on everything as it's easy to erase and if you forget it tends to disappear after finish anyway. You can get them at art supply stores and some welding supply outlets. Down side your layout can rub out if your not careful.

On leather (besides the # 753) I also find a scribe will mark the leather temporarily.

That doesn't answer your question though. I think it depends on the artist and their style. Show it to a few people, don't mention your concern, and see what they say.

I just finished carving the grips on my 1860 Army and when I got done my wife pointed out they didn't match the carving I did on my holster! She was right.............

John P. Anderson
Havre, Montana

Deadeye Don

Ok let me phrase the question differently.  When you guys make a leather item do you make sure there are no ink marks left on the item before you finish it and send it out?   

JP Anderson

This is just a hobby for me but if I put on my other hat I'd say it doesn't sound like something a typical professional would let out the door. Without high quality pictures it's just a wild call and other factors may be involved. Maybe the plan was a dark stain that was changed to a light stain?

Here I am a greenhorn and I already stared a fight,

JP

Deadeye Don

I am going to take pictures and send it to the maker.  I have bought other product from him and this is just plain weird.

Ace Lungger

DD, It isn't a common thing to leave ink marks, some of us have been taught to use a red ink pen, in case you mess up a little, if dyed Black or dark brown it will hide! But if the maker of your rig left a lot of ink marks, I am sure the maker will redo it at no charge! There again, if I new the details, it would be easier to help you out! Is there anyway you could post a pic of these problem area's? As was mentioned earlier, I think any professonal will make it right! Like I mentioned earlier I don't know the details? Even when I have made something for free, unless explain in advance, I would redo it! I didn't make your rig, because I am not a well known maker and just still a newbie! We have discussed things before, nothing to do with leather, but if you want to pm me, if there is anyway I can help, I would be glad to!
I hope that I have helped!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Deadeye Don

Thanks very much Ace.  I will email him pictures and see what he says.  He has told me he doesnt use ink in his shop.  All I know is there are straight lines on the leather where there shouldnt be any.

cowboywc

Howdy DD
I only will use ink on the back side of leather, never on the grain side. My patterns are traced with a fine awl.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

ChuckBurrows

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Deadeye Don

Marshal Will Wingam

Wow, Don. Those lines are really where they don't belong. I can't imagine why they're on it. There has to be some error in sending you that. The maker should set it right with you. Let us know how it goes.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Don I understand why your upset, it doesn't make any sense to have ink lines where they are, I do like WC,  red ink or a fine  scratch awl , let us know how this turns out, everything else looks good from what I could see, too bad this happened.

Regards

tEN wOLVES   ::) :o :(
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Deadeye Don

This is the response I got from the maker.

"I remember that holster now. Those are range marks in the leather, probably barbwire scars. They didn't show up until the holster was oiled. They are natural marks in the leather."

I have asked him to make me a new one.   He has agreed.  I will send the holster back to him (at my expense apparently).  Does the explaination make sense to you leather experts?

ChuckBurrows

Yes it does make sense - now whether it made sense to ship you the holster is another thing - just me but I would have sent a pic and asked first since to some customers it would have been OK and to others a no no - neither way is really right or wrong - just different strokes. FWIW - most of the pros I know will note that such range marks may occur and then assume that the customer understands that, not always the best thing but it happens....
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

JD Alan

OK, I'm the greenest guy on the planet when it comes to leather, but that sure looks like blue ink pen from the pictures. I use to chase cows on horseback through my teens years, but I never saw one carrying a BIC!

Seriously though, I have a VERY high regard for Chuck Burrows, so if he says it's possible, then bless God it's possible.   

Marshal Will Wingam

The explanation does make sense. I made a leather item recently that had a line right through the middle. There was no indication before dying that something would show. Glad you're getting one that will be to your liking.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ace Lungger

MW,
you are 100% right, i have also ran acrossed that my self, becasue you realy can't see it untill it is dyed? But mine was out of that scrap leather I was buying! And I have notice that Tandy is stateing on there sale hides that look before you buy, might be brand marks barb wire scrathes, ect. But, even though I am still a newbie, I would not send out a peice that showed any flaw in plain site unless a discount agreed upon with the customer.
Later Greg

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com