Why domost of you guys stamp on a Marble Slab

Started by Ace Lungger, December 27, 2008, 12:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

I know most of you guys that turn out high quality work use a marble slab to do your stamping. could someone explain why and if there is a cheaper sub.
Thanks ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboywc

Howdy Pal
The marble or granite slab is to give the stamp the best impression.
When I go to schools to teach I take 3/8 masonite cut into 12 x 12 pieces. Works just fine, just a little noisy.
You can find some real good deals at your local monument company. They always have broken or misengraved
headstones.
I know guys that use a solid steel plate to stamp on but you have to keep plastic wrap over it as the bare steel
will leave black marks on the wet leather. That's why the stamps are chrome plated.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

WC is right about granite or marble being best. You are looking for something that won't bounce and is a solid surface with no give. I have a piece of slate that works fine for large pieces. It was a teller window counter in an old bank. The edges are a little chipped but the middle is fine. I picked it up at a stone cutter's for about $20. Any large flat slab of hard stone will work. If you could find a piece of granite left over from a counter you'd have a good one. Since some granite has flaws in it, you may crack a thin piece but a standard counter thickness should do fine. For small work, I use an old marble cheese cutting board about a foot square. It was worthless for a cutting board but it's great for leather. When I stamp with my maker's stamp or any other large stamp like that, I use a small anvil to back up the leather since I would break my marble or slate.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Counter top marble or granite work fine for light tooling work but don't use 3-D or alphabet stamps or
you will break it. Also. check the back side and make sure it flat and level or it will break.
I'll post pix later.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

santee

I found a piece of stone left over from a kitchen installer near where I work. Although not as thick as the Tandy one, it seems to do the job.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ace Lungger

Thanks  Guys,  i made a small anvil and soaked the top with laquer thinner, and when dried I sprayed it with clear poly. But i wanted to get the right thing, thanks for all the tips!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

JD Alan

I notice that Will Ghormley uses a 4 inch piece of stone when using his 1 and 1 1/2 inch flower stamps. I've not found a piece that thick, but I'm still lookin. Then I'm going to have to hire someone to carry it around! 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

ChuckBurrows

Like WC said - For thicker slabs go to the folks who make gravestones - they often have broken chunks, etc. mine is marble - 16" x 18" x 4" approximate and yep it is heavy - cost was about $30.00. I use a piece of silent poundo board underneath and the slab is not polished either, just sanded smooth. In fact I prefer it that way since when I ding it up I just drag it outside and sand it off using 220 grit - I do this about every two years - figure in maybe 50 years I'll have sanded off and inch or so.........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Buck Stinson

I have two large pieces of rainbow granite that I use here in my shop.   One piece measures 1 5/8" thick and 20" X 30" and I have this one mounted at my tooling bench.   I picked this one up at a monument works to replace a piece of marble that was in bad shape.  The other piece is mounted at another work station and it measures 2 3/4" thick and 25' X 18".  This piece was actually savage material that was being removed from the front of a bank, as part of a remodel project.  The sidewalk was covered with dozens of large perfectly cut slads of rainbow granite and I bought one piece that was 25' X 36" for $25.00.  It weighed nearly 250 pounds and was  impossible for me to manhandle by myself, so I took it to a local monument works where they cut it in half.  This  gave me the 25" X 18" piece I needed.  I then sold the other chunk to a friend who was in the saddle business.    I've used marble and not had good luck with it.  Some marble can be easily split with the grain and the surface can chip.  Even thin pieces of rainbow granite are very difficult to break and it will not chip.  This is why it is used most often as counter top material.  Any monument works or counter top contractor should be able to help.

Adios,
Buck

Forty Rod

Quote from: JD Alan on December 27, 2008, 09:32:17 PM
I notice that Will Ghormley uses a 4 inch piece of stone when using his 1 and 1 1/2 inch flower stamps. I've not found a piece that thick, but I'm still lookin. Then I'm going to have to hire someone to carry it around! 

Make a nice tooled carrying case for it, maybe a padded shoulder strap, a pocket for tools...etc.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

JD Alan

That's a good solution there 40 Rod, except maybe some wheels for the weight! Sorta like a rolling briefcase.

Forty Rod

Shoot, just add a pocket big enough for a couple of cans of spinach and Popeye it over a shoulder.   ::)

(Y'know, the weight never even occurred to me.  That sucker would be about as heavy as a Buick, wouldn't it?   :o)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Dalton Masterson

I just use the Tandy marble square for now, BUT there is a nice old tombstone at work, that I have been eyeballing. It must be a misprint and been fixed, as the guy on it was 130 some years old when he died. I need to get ahold of the Veterans Affairs and find out about the guy and get permission tho. He was a Civil War vet. My boss said they just dropped it off one day, assuming we would dispose of it.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Heck, Dalton. That would be a cool thing to have anyway. Shoot us a picture if you get it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

Can't be sure, but I'd lay odds a Civil War vet would appreciate someone using his headstone to help produce quality leather goods. It speaks to the hard work and craftsmanship of people from America.

HorsePen Henry

I doubt that old vet cares what ya use his marker for. ;)

Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Dalton Masterson

It is a cool old military headstone, with the Company of NewYork Arty and info on it. I think it would be just the right size for my bench, but will be heavier than hades. If it works out, I will have to post some pics. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

R.T. Rangebum

I went to a gravestone "store" and asked for a piece of scrap, they told me that the carving was done elsewhere. They asked what I wanted it for and I told them to use for leather carving and the manager said that he had a few mistakes outside. We went outside to the back of the building and lined up along the fence where 10 or 12 stones in the weeds. I picked one out and asked how much, the manager said help yourself they are of no use to us.  The stone I got was rough surfaced on the side opposite the lettering, this smoothed out easily with an orbital sander and 80 grit pads. The stone works great, deadens any noise, and does not move.
Rangebum

Lefty Newhall

Over the years, out of necessity I have stamped on a variety of materials. When I have had no access to a nice granite slab I have made a wooden frame/form and poured in some concrete with some scrap rebar for re-inforcement. When I have only had a thin peice of granite and wanted a thick chunky slab, I have done something similar and then inlaid my thin granite into the concrete.

Some buddies place their stone into a framework that has sand in the bottom. Minimises bounce when it all packs down. Most prefer the stone to be set flush with the bench.

Lefty.

cowboy316

I found an 18"x 24" piece of granite 3 " thick threw that grizzlys tools for 41 bucks thats my next investment after i get my tooling table built lol
                  Cowboy316

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com