Does anyone besides R&D do conversions?

Started by Daniel Nighteyes, December 26, 2008, 08:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Nighteyes

I've had a beautiful pair of brand-spanking-new Uberti '61 Navies for about a year.  I bought them to have them converted into cartridge guns, complete with loading gate and sleeved barrel.  I also want to keep the loading levers, in order to maintain the guns' overall profile.

I had originally intended for R&D to do the conversions, but have lately reconsidered.  So, does anyone know of someone else who does good work in converting Navies to cartridge guns?

Tabaquero

Howdy Daniel,

I have heard good things about Armsportllc.net. Mr. Millington's work is covered in Dennis Adler's book on conversions.
Hope this helps you out.

Regards,

Tabaquero
SASS Life #24092
SCORRS
STORM #293
White Mountain Regulators
NCOWS #3250
NRA Life

Pettifogger

The only ones that sell "kits" are R&D and Kirst.  Millington is absolutely good stuff, but is more custom and takes time and more money.  R&D sells cylinders to use with sleeved barrels.  You can buy the sleeve and have a local gunsmith install it.  The Kirst cylinders only come bored straight through for use with the original barrel.  After all the problems people have dealing directly with R&D and after looking at the ejector mechanism Kirst has, I decided to go with Kirst.  Very nice quality and the ejector is first rate.  I use soft lead hollow base wadcutters that you can get from any reloading supply house.  In the future, I may look for a heeled bullet, which is what the originals used.

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Pettifogger on December 26, 2008, 10:18:36 AMIn the future, I may look for a heeled bullet, which is what the originals used.

Here ya go!  I looked these fellows up some time back. The top table is for heeled bullets.  For loaded ammo, scroll down about halfway. http://gadcustomcartridges.com/#heelbase

Pettifogger

Yep, got them marked for bullets and molds.  Now, I just need to find someone that makes a heel base bullet crimper that will work in a progressive press.  I shoot to much to crimp one at a time in a single stage press or hand crimper.

Pettifogger

Will do.  I think the guns will work better with bore diameter bullets, although they work OK as is with the hollowbase wadcutters.

Hoof Hearted

Pettifogger

Give me an email and I'll get you all set up and answer all yer questions. Yes I use Bernie's stuff ;)
GAD custom also uses Bernie's stuff (moulds for sale and bullets from those moulds) and yes Bernie is more gentile!~

I am preparing a photo article for this here website to be placed on a few of the forums, but I can get you started before then.

buckoff@alltel.net

Good on ya!
HH
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com