-

Started by Seth Hawkins, December 22, 2008, 06:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think, folks?  Is there any chance that Uberti will make a Richards Type I conversion ring for the Type II?  I mean a true Type I conversion ring - complete with the lip that extends past the rear of the cylinder.

Yes
No
Yeah - but it won't have the proper "lip"

Seth Hawkins

Mako

Without the proper lip and probably several other features that will be incorrect as well.  Why would they start making accurate replicas now?

Actually a Type I is different enough they would have to gage the market using the demand for the Type IIs.  They will already have the ejector housings and barrels they just have to make the conversion ring, firing pin, bobbed hammer, etc.  Hmmm it might be more than they want to do.  But they will probably come up with some sort of a kluged up pistol they will call a Type I.

~ Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Pettifogger

No. The market is so small they would loose money.  Uberti has to be able to use as many common parts in their guns as possible.  When you look at the total number of cowboy guns sold, and then create a subset of conversions of cap and ball guns, the numbers sold don't even make a bump in total gun sales.

Sgt. Jake

Howdy    After almost two years of waitin, I still dont have my type II s,not holdin my breath.     Adios  Sgt. Still Watin on type II s Jake

Fox Creek Kid

1. As Pettiforgger said, the market is small + the vast majority of CAS shooters are the Marlin & "Rooger" bunch.

2. The economy is going to get worse, hence less money for recreational guns. The market now is for "black" guns, i.e., assault style weapons.

3. CAS style shooting peaked a few years ago & is on a downward trend IMO and will continue to do so.

However, who knows with Uberti. Three years ago if you'd have told me there was going to be a Type II I'd of thought you
insane.

Sgt. Jake, I've had Type II's since Dec. 2007 and they have been available on the Internet since then so I don't understand your wait, unless you've special ordered something.  ???

Abilene

1.  Most of these types of guns made by Uberti (OT's, Richards-Masons, Type II's) were developed for Cimarron.

2.  Mike Harvey has no desire to make a Type I.

3.  Never say never  ;D

Long Johns Wolf

Why not? Uberti had a go at other projects with a much smaller market potential like the Thuer (& I don't propose a discussion why that project was killed).
Let's be optimistic despite the lousy econony on both sides of the pond.
Having said that...
Merry Christmas to all pards & pardettes.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Mako

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on December 22, 2008, 10:35:21 PM
Sgt. Jake, I've had Type II's since Dec. 2007 and they have been available on the Internet since then so I don't understand your wait, unless you've special ordered something.  ???

FCK,
I had been trying to get a pair of Type IIs since they announced they were going to make them.  I have been on waiting lists at Texas Jack's, Buffalo Arms, a very large local gun store and I have called Cimarron myself on and off for two years.   You have seen my posts on this forum where I have asked the people here if they knew where a pair was available.  I watched the online gun auction forums like a hawk and when they showed something that looked promising I inquired and found it was a "mistake," this happened twice with the same dealer.

They have not been available on the internet, or any place I knew to look because you saw how fast I got a pair when someone finally knew who to contact to get the stashed guns.  Abilene posted on the other thread that they now have some on the books.  I contacted Cimarron less than a month ago and was told the next shipment wouldn't be until January or February and to put an order in through the large stocking dealer here in town. They suggested I order any models I was willing to accept and they would fill what I got first. So I did, I ordered 8 pistols, two pairs each .44Spl and .44Colt in 5 1/2" and the same in 8".  Nothing was sent; nothing showed on the computerized inventory lists that the dealer's access, Cimarron said they had none.  That was until Kiowa Jones Contacted them, and then all of a sudden they had them.  Maybe they just came in, but it seems odd that the standing orders for my 8 pistols were passed over to send two pairs to Kiowa Jones for two new orders. 8 pistols don't count the 2 pairs I have on order with Buffalo Arms, or the pair at Texas Jacks.  I have yet to receive a phone call from any of them.

I know exactly how Sgt. Jake feels.  I'm just glad to have one pair I'd take another because who knows if there will be many more, but I want people like Sgt. Jake to get theirs first.

Well that was my rant for the night.  I'd love to have a Uberti Type 1.  That is why I actually want at least a second pair of Type IIs.  I figured I could make a recoil shield ring, use the loading gate and other components, I also wanted the .429 caliber barrel so I can shoot standard bullets.  But if they almost have everything they need to make a reasonable facsimile of a Type 1, I'd love to buy one from them.

Merry Christmas,
Mako

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Mako on December 23, 2008, 07:57:14 PM...Well that was my rant for the night.  I'd love to have a Uberti Type 1.  That is why I actually want at least a second pair of Type IIs.  I figured I could make a recoil shield ring, use the loading gate and other components, I also wanted the .429 caliber barrel so I can shoot standard bullets.  But if they almost have everything they need to make a reasonable facsimile of a Type 1, I'd love to buy one from them.

Merry Christmas,
Mako

Mako, Karl Nedbal mailed my 1st Model ring last week that he made for me. I sent him my Type II ring and gave him the dimension for the rebated part of the cylinder. It should be here any time. I will naturally do a test fit before the nickel job (to match the rest of the gun) and before anchoring the new ring. I will take some photos and post them. I'm so excited I may have to wear Attends for a few days!!  ;D :D ;)

Sgt. Jake

Fox Creek Kid   I made the mistake of ordering them in 45 colt and in 5 1/2" barrels. Around this past feburary Abilene pm ed me to ask,and Abilene I appreciate you checking.The only verision Uberti hadnt done yet was you guessed it,the 5 1/2" 45 colt,the way things are now,well Id like a pair,but Im not holding my breath. If I had known I would have ordered 8" and still been happy,but theirs no bird in my hands.      Merry Christmas  Sgt.Jake

Major 2

I can RELATE to Mako & Sgt. Jake

I ordered mine in Feb. of 06 yep ! 06 before they were even to hit our shores in the of summer 06.
I was told about every 2 months , "maybe another 60 days", all the way up to Shot 07 (Jan 07 ) where I spoke directly to Charles Hudson. He said they might be there when they got home.
Sense I'm a stageing contractor for Shot Show Orlando..he asked "I expidite Cimarrons Load out when the show closed"..Did did..he agreed to call me when my guns were shipped...he didn't

I ordered 8" in 45 Cal.  granted after I understood they would be offered in 44 I said I go that too (44 prefered ) but still 8"
In the mean time I found a pair of Type I's (they are not matched , The Kenny Howell has a Dovetail front sight and the USFA has the standard 60 front sight , but I don't care)
Shot is about 3 weeks out I have several Clients/exibitors so I'll be on site again...
and I still don't have a TYPE II...so thats what ? 3 years ?
when planets align...do the deal !

Mako

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on December 23, 2008, 08:37:21 PM
Mako, Karl Nedbal mailed my 1st Model ring last week that he made for me. I sent him my Type II ring and gave him the dimension for the rebated part of the cylinder. It should be here any time. I will naturally do a test fit before the nickel job (to match the rest of the gun) and before anchoring the new ring. I will take some photos and post them. I'm so excited I may have to wear Attends for a few days!!  ;D :D ;)
FCK,
EXCELLENT!!! that's exactly what I was thinking of doing.  I have an ASM I believe you already know about but it is not what I consider match quality.  I used to have a '60 now I just have the  '61.

I can understand your excitement.  I also think it might be cool to have something very few others have.  I like Seth's pair, but I don't envy him having to use the heeled bullets.  I also want a pair of Type 1s so I can "cheat" a bit on the rear sight notch width and get a nice open sight picture.  Not so much that anyone would notice unless I pointed it out (except maybe for you and a few other aficionados  ;) ).  The notch on the hammer gets a bit delicate if you open it up for a nice wide CAS range front sight.

The problem is now how do I choose what I will shoot at a match?  My Open Tops go un-shot, I sold a pair of R&Ms that were not being used .  My Navy models feel unloved and I had been using my slickest pair of '60s almost exclusively.  Now I have a new pair of Type IIs.  Either I need to shoot a match each and every weekend and alternate, or get my kids to shoot them.

I'm looking forward to your photos.

Have a Merry Christmas,
Mako

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com