Gomph-Hackbarth Tool Special

Started by David Carrico, December 20, 2008, 05:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Carrico

Not sure if I can post this, this is just FYI. I'm not a paid spokesman, but a satified customer of Gomph stamping tools. I have a good selection (but could always use more) of his tools. I recently received his 15 Basic Stamps, made from 1018 steel. His stamps average $35-$60 each. This basic stamp set is only $125 plus $5 shipping, $145 after Jan 1. This set includes 1 Border Stamp, 1 Veiner, 3 Smooth Bevelers, 1 Camouflage, 3 Backgrounders,  2 seeders, 1 Mule Foot, 1 Oval Seeder, 1 Smooth Pear Shader, 1 Smooth Bruiser. $10 each for U.S. handmade tools, not imported Crafttool junk, can't beat it! Send an express note to Santa!
Have a Merry Christmas!
David Carrico

Gomph-Hackbarth Leather Tools
10754 N. Martineau Road
Elfrida, AZ 85610
520-642-3891
Hackbarthtools@hotmail.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the info, David. Does he have a website? If so, maybe we could get it put into our thread on quality stamps.

Here's our thread: Sources for Quality Custom Stamps

I sent him an email to see if he has a website.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello David

This sounds good, like Will said a web site would be good, so we could see what he has to offer, thanks for letting us know about this person, we can always use another quaility tool and stamp maker. 8)

Merry Christmas to you and your family David  :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

OK, I'm a tool freak at heart. ;D I talked with Ellis for an hour this morning to get a feel for what he offers. In the end, I just ordered a set to see what they're like. He guarantees them unconditionally so that means a lot. He's going to get them off to me today so I'll have them in a few.

David Carrico

I'm sure that was an interesting conversation! Ellis is quite the person to visit with!  I don't think he has a website, but he has a catalog. I usually make a copy of the page and circle which one I would like to order. His baskets stamps are, in my opinion, the best. I always wondered why my basket stamping wasn't as clean and crisp like the professionals, until I started using his tools. Let us know how you like your stamps!

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: David Carrico on December 23, 2008, 09:34:05 AMI'm sure that was an interesting conversation!
That's an understatement. ;D He's a very entertaining fellow. The saddle maker I worked for as a young man told me stories about Charles Tandy and a guy who worked for him. That guy was Ellis. It was good fun talking to him to hear a different side of the same things I heard years ago.

You're right, no website. He is sending a catalog, though. I'll let you know about the tools after I get them.

Marshal Will Wingam

The tools arrived today. Heck, I just talked to him day before yesterday. That's quick service.

The tools are first rate. I particularly like his veiner, that will get some serious use. He has an outstanding border stamp that's in the set, too. All the other stamps seem to fill in where my selection was lacking for the most part. These stamps are certainly worth the money.

JD Alan

Thanks for the feedback Will. I plan to call him tomorrow. JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

I just got to use some more of my new stamps. The bevelers are really nice. I'm making a Frank James holster and got to do a whole lot of beveling. Both sides of each line, at that. I also like the shorter length of 4" on the stamps. They're easier to use and have less of a tendency to bounce. Ellis said something about the length being determined by the shockwave that travels through the tool when you strike it. I can believe that. I'm thinking about shortening my other stamps. LOL, that ought to take a good afternoon.

JD Alan

The shorter length makes sense to me, better control. Beveling is the hardest thing i've found to do so far. Will, can you tell me which beveler you purchased here? Thanks, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

JD, the only Hackbarth bevels I have are the ones that came with the introductory set. One is an undercut beveler and the other two are what I used today. I also have a few others that I've made or picked up along the way. I have one that I use that has the back ground toward the ends in a taper that gets along a pointed area without marking the adjoining piece. That you will have to make yourself. It's easy to see what needs to be taken down when you get into a place that needs it. Tandy used to make some for figure carving that were like that. There are also triangular ones to get into those pointed corners as well.

ChuckBurrows

Quote from: JD Alan on January 04, 2009, 08:47:25 PM
Beveling is the hardest thing i've found to do so far.  JD

JD - a little "trick" after using the beveler to smooth and even things up you can use a spoon modeling tool - the spoon modelers are some of my favorite tools and IMO are some of the most under used tools.......
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Marshal Will Wingam

You're right, Chuck. I don't make anything without using a spoon on it. It's so automatic I don't even think about it. Thanks for mentioning that.

cowboywc

Ellis said something about the length being determined by the shockwave that travels through the tool

Howdy Pal
Ellis is feeding you a line. He's saving money on steel. He gets more tools per rod length.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: cowboywc on January 05, 2009, 04:01:39 PMEllis is feeding you a line. He's saving money on steel. He gets more tools per rod length.
LOL. Whatever the reason, I like the length better. I'll have to put a new wheel in my grinder when I'm done. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com