herman oak leather

Started by Justino Caballo, December 16, 2008, 10:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justino Caballo

I WAS LOOKING INTO BUYING A SIDE OF LEATHER FOR HOLSTERS AND THE LIKE (9-10 OZ?) AND IT SEEMS HERMAN OAK LEATHER IS THE BEST, ACCORDING TO POSTS. I WOULD LIKE A LITTLE HELP TO DECEIFER THE FOLLOWING;  Backs: Add 99¢
Moss/Pasted Flesh: Add 25¢
Buffed/Sanded Flesh: Add 20¢

ALSO IT SAYS MINIMUM 10 SIDES OR BACKS? HOW DOES A NOVICE ATTAIN A SIDE OF THEIR LEATHER?
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF

Justino Caballo

WELL I GUESS IT WAS A DECENT QUESTION

ChuckBurrows

Justino -
There are retailers that sell Herman Oak, but at a premium price. On the other hand Wickett and Craig leather is just as good and will sell you one hide - it is the only leather I use these days.

they have a website www.wickett-craig.com or you even better call them at 1-800-826-6379 ext 222 is Glen Proud. Right now they have their 8/10 oz Tooling sides (24 sq ft average) on sale for a flat $90.00 plus shipping - I just bought some - very nice and price worked out to be $3.25 a sq ft. Otherwise they also are now offering 8/10 oz double sholders (not on their website yet) which average out at 14 sq ft.
Utility grade is very good or you can upgrade to Standard, but IMO the utility is the "best" buy......
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

JD Alan

That's great info Chuck. Oregon Leather in Portland sells Herman Oak, and I was going to check out their prices this week. OL is spendy to begin with, so I don't imagine their prices are going to be any better on Premium leather. On the positive side, I don't have to buy 10 sides, I get to look at it before buying, and there isn't any shipping.

I appreciate the info, and I'm sure Justino does too. JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Golliger Leather sells Herman Oak retail. You can get one side at a time if you wish. They're good people to deal with.

http://www.goligerleather.com/

I haven't tried Wickett & Craig, but I intend to.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Justino Caballo

THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE MR. BURROWS. I WILL DEFINATELY TRY THE WICKETT AND CRAIG. YOUR WORK IS TRULY AMAZING STUFF AND ANYTHING YOU RECOMMEND IS WHAT I WILL TRY.

Buck Stinson

I've tried  leather from every tanner in the U.S., but for the past  30 years, I've never used anything other than Hermann Oak.    As a holster maker, I buy direct from the tannery, 10 backs at a time every month.  I have them do a several special things to my leather, which makes it very expensive, but unique to the products I offer.  I can tell you that saddle skirting works better than holster leather, you probably don't want the pasted flesh and the $0.99 for backs means, they charge you that amount per foot, to cut off all the fleshy leather below the rib cage.  In other words, ALL of the leather in a back is usable.  I do not order the flesh side buffed or sanded.  It may work very well for you, but I choose to have another step done on my leather rather than the buff/sand.  Folks can say what they want about other tanners, but any man who has spent his life making saddles, will tell you Hermann Oak is the best.  I agree that it would be way too expensive for the hobbiest, but if you're making a living selling the best leather gear, use it once and you'll never buy any other leather.

Adios,
Buck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com