Puma 92

Started by arkansas tom, December 13, 2008, 08:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkansas tom

hoping someone can help me out. My last two cas matches my rifle stovepiped, just in one stage each time.
took out follow spring and made sure is was clean and working smoothly. checked my oal of 45 lc I am running a consistent 1.58.
any ideas? and thanks in advance.

Four Eyed Floyd

Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

litl rooster

did you check the oal on the ones that caused the problem?  If they are not crimp tight they maybe driving back into the case causing the oal to change, becoming a little shorter and nt chambering properly

A problem I sometimes occur is not cycling the levers on my guns like I mean it.  Saying this I mean I just half hearted lever and don't put enough of my backside into it. The empty will clear or just hang there and the next round gets short stroked
Mathew 5.9

Four Eyed Floyd

My 38/357 used to stovepipe a lot and still does if I try to cycle it too fast. Had my local Smith slick it up and it made a difference, but still Steve is the expert on the 92. ;D And a great guy very helpful!
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311

Bow View Haymaker

I'll second the Cycle it like you mean it.  don't baby it. The '92 action works best when worked with AUTHORITY. 
Don't now if this is the root of  your particular problem or not but just my $.02
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Marshal Will Wingam

I had a Puma 92 that Steve Young worked over. I agree with the pards here that he's the man to send it to. Mine would work really fine all the time. It was smooth as silk. If you haven't had it slicked up yet, send it to Steve anyway. That's the best money you could spend on it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Texas Lawdog

Let me add myself to the list of Steve's satisfied customers. I was fortunate to be able to deliver mine personally because we both live in Texas. I picked it up on my next visit. It was the difference between night and day. Those 92s don't like the 38 spls, they prefer the .357s. That may be part of your problem also. I use Cowboy load .357s in my 92 and it works like a champ.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Compass Will

How many times has your Puma been shot?  I had the problem with my .45, dealer said "don't bring it back until you shot at least 200 rounds through it".  He was right, the problem went away by then.
SASS 79000

Bristow Kid

Mine was the oppisite I had problems with it the more I shot it.
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Texas Lawdog

I shot a couple of boxes when I first got it. It was used and the guy told he had put 200 rounds through it. I had already decided to take it to Steve when I bought it. I still recommend shooting 357s in it.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Four Eyed Floyd

I shoot 38's in mine, but, I load Big Lube bullets which make the 38's the OAL of 357. 8) I shot about 600 rounds in mine when I got it and it was a little easier, however there is nothing better than slicking it up to be able to really use it. ;D
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311

Bristow Kid

After looking at Steve's web site I do believe I will order his video  I am learning gunsmithing anyway so it'll be another teaching aid for me. 
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Four Eyed Floyd

I have it and it really helps. 8)
Four Eyed Floyd