Pale Rider?

Started by John William McCandles, December 11, 2008, 07:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint

Where does the barrel top come to when hand tightened?  It should come up with the front sight at 10:30 or 11:00 o'clock, viewed from the muzzle, to provide the proper torque to stay tight.  It's a steel frame, so can take the torque OK.  I have in hand a brass framed Rem Pocket with the barrel removed, it is hand tight with the front sight at 10:30 o'clock, so the steel frame should be fine at that.

As Hoof Hearted said, you can move the barrel's shoulder back to take up another turn in the barrel, it will be one thread pitch shorter.

I had a Navy Arms 44 that shot loose the first time I used it, apparently left the factory without the correct torque, hand tight put the front sight at 12:00.  I degreased the threads and locktited the barrel in, and it's fine after several years of shooting, both as cap & ball and conversion.

As Bull Schmidt mentioned, I have seen gunsmiths make a thin shimwasher to put between the barrel shoulder and the frame to bring the torque up to spec.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

John William McCandles

Quote from: Flint on December 13, 2008, 01:51:41 PM
Where does the barrel top come to when hand tightened?  It should come up with the front sight at 10:30 or 11:00 o'clock, viewed from the muzzle, to provide the proper torque to stay tight.  It's a steel frame, so can take the torque OK.  I have in hand a brass framed Rem Pocket with the barrel removed, it is hand tight with the front sight at 10:30 o'clock, so the steel frame should be fine at that.

As Hoof Hearted said, you can move the barrel's shoulder back to take up another turn in the barrel, it will be one thread pitch shorter.

I had a Navy Arms 44 that shot loose the first time I used it, apparently left the factory without the correct torque, hand tight put the front sight at 12:00.  I degreased the threads and locktited the barrel in, and it's fine after several years of shooting, both as cap & ball and conversion.

As Bull Schmidt mentioned, I have seen gunsmiths make a thin shimwasher to put between the barrel shoulder and the frame to bring the torque up to spec.

I'm coming up at between 12:00 and 1:00 when hand tight.
The shim may work. if it was at 12:00 I believe the loctite would do. If the shim doesn't get it I'll file the face to get one more turn out of it then file the forcing cone for the cylinder to barrel spacing.
Thanks.
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Coyote Hunter

Hey JW, Might work you up a deal for this one I have, you may be able to make two into one....you have a neat holster I'd like to have for lisa's cut down Remmie...
"The Lord Is My Shepherd, The Bible is my guide, My horse is my partner, Mr. Remrington's on my side."

Member of the American Frontier Reenactment Guild
SixGuns Entertainment, Inc. www.sixgunsonline.com
T & L Ministries as the Circuit Rider Bro. Beauregard http://saddlebagpreacher.blogspot.com

John William McCandles

Quote from: Coyote Hunter on December 13, 2008, 07:06:14 PM
Hey JW, Might work you up a deal for this one I have, you may be able to make two into one....you have a neat holster I'd like to have for lisa's cut down Remmie...

CH
How yea doin' Pard?
Which holster might that be? We need to get together before the next meeting. Jaunuary is a long way off.

Regards
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Coyote Hunter

That soft tooled one for a 4 3/4 " barrel pistol....
"The Lord Is My Shepherd, The Bible is my guide, My horse is my partner, Mr. Remrington's on my side."

T & L Ministries as the Circuit Rider Bro. Beauregard http://saddlebagpreacher.blogspot.com

John William McCandles

Quote from: Coyote Hunter on December 13, 2008, 07:33:34 PM
That soft tooled one for a 4 3/4 " barrel pistol....

Oh, Ok we can most likely work somthing out, or she can just use it. That's the first rig I bought for CAS. Used it alot when I rode with the Alpine Outlaws out in California.
Are you planning on converting that one for Lisa?

Regards
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Coyote Hunter

When I get some money...I guess when Nancy Palosi gives me my part of the 700 Trillion dollars  ;D

It will do for now without a conversion, just seeing as she's an announcer, but I wanted to get her gressed up so she doesn't feel left out of the pictures and stuff. If she can borrow it, that would be fine.  I give you the gun anyway, I've got enough around here without have a broken one in the way. It's just in my way. It's a Pietta, so you'll and looks good externally, just put the innards from yours into it and it should work fine.

Coyote Hunter

Man, there I go with the brain disconnect again, can't even understand my own posts... ::)  life ends at 50... :'(

John William McCandles

Quote from: Coyote Hunter on December 13, 2008, 08:10:06 PM
Man, there I go with the brain disconnect again, can't even understand my own posts... ::)  life ends at 50... :'(

Well I hope not I only have 6 or 7 months to go and I'll be there too.
I sent you an e-mail.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Gaucho Gringo

In Dennis Adlers book "Metallic Cartridge Conversions" there is a picture of an 1863 Remington New Pocket Revolvers with a regular style trigger guard. It is on page 67.
.357 Taurus Gaucho, .22 Heritage Rough Rider, 2-Pietta 1858 .44 NMA Remingtons, Euroarms & ASM .36 1851 Navies, .31 Uberti Baby Dragoon 4", 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, .43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, .44 Uberti Colt Walker, .36 1862 Pocket Police 2 1\2"

John William McCandles

Well I got the '63 squared away.
Don't know if anyone would be interested but I've decided to stick with my Cimarron '60 R&M's and Colt/Millington '49 conversion and need to sell this Remington pocket and the Pietta 5 1/2" NMA which is new and never fired. I have the boxes for both.
If anyone is interested e-mail and I'll give you my price.

Regards
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk