muzzle crown

Started by Capt. JEB, December 11, 2008, 05:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. JEB

I have two ASM c&b's with no muzzle crown, does it make a difference on these revolvers as it does on rifles?
Commander Cavalry
Department of the Atlantic
Grand Army of the Frontier

Fingers McGee

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Pettifogger

Most of the old rilfes had no crowns either.  Even see a crown on any 66 or 73 rifle?  (Carbines had crowns, but not the rifles.)  They shot and continue to shoot just fine.

Delmonico

As long as everything is straight and even no problem.  The crown is there to protect the rifling at the end more than anything else. :)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Capt. JEB

I didn't think so. Been messin' with my mil surps lately and noticed the c&b's didn't have one.
Commander Cavalry

Paladin UK

FWIW....

When I first started.............. `tinkerin`.......... the first barrel I shortened was on this Uberti #58....

I also had been told that iffn I didn't crown the muzzle end I would have horrendous accuracy,  :o well, I decided to chop it in any case, and the #58 although it was now a full 2ins shorter shot nigh on exactly the same at 15 yds as it did with the original length!!

I told that bloke what I`d done and the results and he jest said `I wuz lucky` It wasn't till a year or so later I got talking to a `proper` Gunsmith at Bisley and I also learnt the truth behind the myth regardin ... Crownin  ::)

Paladin (Whats plain tuckered out after that!! ;) ) UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Capt. JEB

Thanks for the replys. I won't worry about it.

Unless the groups are off, then I got something to blame it on!!
Commander Cavalry

Adirondack Jack

Unless ya ding the muzzle, ya don't need a crown.  HOWEVER, a crown is asthetically pleasing, and a nice crown can be achieved by the average kitchen table gunsmith.  Here's how:

Get ya a LARGE brass screw with a 'mushroom" head (not a huge dome, but a shallow rounded head), and a tube of valve grinding paste.  Chuck the screw in a low speed (probably cordless) drill, load the head of the screw with compound and commence to gently working the muzzle.  Make sure ya rock the drill motor side to side a bit so yer brass screw doesn't get a track cut in it, and go slow, checking the results often.  Pretty soon ya will have a nicely polished crown cut into the muzzle.  clean er up real good to get rid of the grinding compound.

OR, ya can buy a fancy crown cutter with a proper pilot for the caliber, and cut a 'proper" crown. The cutters ain't cheap, so ya can't justify one for one or two guns.

Now if ya like, ya can compliment that work with a slight chamfer on the outside of the muzzle as well, using fairly fine, brand new, sharp 220 wet or dry paper wrapped around a stick like maybe a paint stirrer.  The outside cut is purely for looks.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Noz

Quote from: Adirondack Jack on December 14, 2008, 05:37:20 PM
Unless ya ding the muzzle, ya don't need a crown.  HOWEVER, a crown is asthetically pleasing, and a nice crown can be achieved by the average kitchen table gunsmith.  Here's how:

Get ya a LARGE brass screw with a 'mushroom" head (not a huge dome, but a shallow rounded head), and a tube of valve grinding paste.  Chuck the screw in a low speed (probably cordless) drill, load the head of the screw with compound and commence to gently working the muzzle.  Make sure ya rock the drill motor side to side a bit so yer brass screw doesn't get a track cut in it, and go slow, checking the results often.  Pretty soon ya will have a nicely polished crown cut into the muzzle.  clean er up real good to get rid of the grinding compound.

OR, ya can buy a fancy crown cutter with a proper pilot for the caliber, and cut a 'proper" crown. The cutters ain't cheap, so ya can't justify one for one or two guns.

Now if ya like, ya can compliment that work with a slight chamfer on the outside of the muzzle as well, using fairly fine, brand new, sharp 220 wet or dry paper wrapped around a stick like maybe a paint stirrer.  The outside cut is purely for looks.
That's the kind of stuff I love to see. How to do something cool with nothing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com