PROCESS FOR FINISH

Started by Justino Caballo, December 11, 2008, 10:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justino Caballo

HELLO PARDS,

I JUST WANTED TO POSE A QUESTION TO YOU INFORMED FELLERS. I AM TRYING TO LEARN THE LEATHERCRAFT ART VIA BOOKS AND THIS FORUM. THUS FAR I HAVE MANAGED TO HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME FRUSTRATING MYSELF AND WASTING GOOD LEATHER. MY QUESTION IS THIS, I CUT MY LEATHER,TOOL IT (OR NOT DEPENDING), STITCH IT UP THEN PUT ANTIQUE ON IT. I THEN SPRAY IT WITH SADDLE LAC. AS I HAVE PROGRESSED I NOTICE THINGS LIKE BURNISHING EDGES THE IMPORTANCE OF CUTTING CLEAN EDGES. IF I CUT THE EDGES EVEN AFTER I STITCH IS THIS OKAY? SHOULD I CHANGE MY THE STEPS IN FINISHING MY WORK? PLEASE HELP ME OUT A TAD! :-[ :-[ :-[
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF

Marshal Will Wingam

Welcome to the forum, JC. I often trim up my edges after stitching if they don't line up exactly. I usually leave a little extra on the back side of a holster where it gets stitched so after I sew it, I can trim the back to be exactly the same as the front. Where the trimming is done, you will need to touch up with dye. Remember, the finished product is what matters and there's more than one way to get the job done.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ned Buckshot

On holsters I normally cut the stitching line a little further in, stitch it and then use a drum sander chucked into a drill press and sand the edges smooth and square. Then edge and dye the whole thing at once.

I came up with this after many frustrating attempts at trying to cut the edges smooth and even. Works well for me.

Good Luck! ;D

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

cowboywc

Howdy and welcome
I do all color and finish before sewing. I trim, edge & slick. Then I add edge dye and wet mold.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Cutter Carl

I like the drum sander in the drill press also.  Quick and easy to control.  I don't use it on the mouth of the holster, only the seam.   I make sure the mouth is clean and true before I sew.
NCOWS #3053
SASS #79783
Cracker Cow Cavalry - Florida's 1st NCOWS Posse
CCC - Marshall
Eagle Scout 1980

Wiley Desperado

I dye before I sew ( always by hand) I hand sand the stich edge then I slick all edges and last I apply my finish.  The reason I apply my finish last is because I don't want to seal the leather until I have seen the finished product just in case I want to make a final touch-up of some sort.  As for edge kote sometimes I use it sometimes I just dye the edges depending on what look I want.  Very Last I wet mold by wetting the inside of the holster only.  I don't know if this is the right way but so far it works for me.

Justino Caballo

THANKS ALL!

I HAVE BEEN WATCHING AND READING TRYING THIS FORUM TRYING TO SOAK UP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. IT IS REAL GREAT TO BE EXPOSED TO FOLKS WH NOT ONLY KNOW BUT ARE WILLING TO SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE.

LOOK FOR MORE IGNORAMUS QUESTIONS IN THE FUTURE! ;D

Ned Buckshot

Howdy and welcome Justino!

The only ignoramous question is one that is not asked so please ask away!!!!!  ;D

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

JD Alan

Hey Justino, I've had the corner on newbie questions, so it's nice to have someone else to help ask the how to's

Seriously, all of these guys have been fantastic about helping new guys, and it's been deeply appreciated.

Welcome, Good luck, keep practicing, JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Justino Caballo

THANKS TO ALL AND THANK YOU JD.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com