Federal Paper Shells

Started by Fairshake, December 10, 2008, 06:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairshake

I've finally found some 12ga paper shells to load up with the Holy Black. I feel like a cat with his first mouse, now what do you do with it? Would like some input on what others have loaded. I load on a Mec Sizemaster. ???
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Dick Dastardly

You lucky dog you.

I like to load them with FFg Holy Black, non plastic wads and do a roll crimp.  http://precisionreloading.com/Rollcrimpers.htm  Scroll down and you will find a good tool for around Twelve Bux.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

hellgate

If the mouths are new (virgin cases) they will roll crimp nicely. The one problem with paper cases is they usually don't shuck out of the chambers like plastic empties do. The paper swells and doesn't have much rebound. Also if you shoot a several shot string the wax begins to melt out of the paper and they are not as easily extracted. I would use them for informal or non competitive shooting as they are slower. But for style points WHO CARES? Go for it.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

john boy

QuoteThe one problem with paper cases is they usually don't shuck out of the chambers like plastic empties do. The paper swells and doesn't have much rebound. Also if you shoot a several shot string the wax begins to melt out of the paper and they are not as easily extracted.
Hellgate - agree.  Is pure fact and the reason I have over 500 Remington and Federal once fired papers in a box and have never reloaded a one for CAS.  Even have 2 antique roll crimpers to use if I wanted to

I'm not a Gamer but a pain is a pain, regardless of what sport.
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Fingers McGee

Quote from: hellgate on December 10, 2008, 02:34:43 PM
one problem with paper cases is they usually don't shuck out of the chambers like plastic empties do. The paper swells and doesn't have much rebound. Also if you shoot a several shot string the wax begins to melt out of the paper and they are not as easily extracted. I would use them for informal or non competitive shooting as they are slower. But for style points WHO CARES? Go for it.

That's the reason I only use them in my 1887 Winchester, and then only when the temp is below 70.  above 70 degrees, they get soft and have a tendency to jam in the 87.  They work slicker than owl droppings when the temp is around 40.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Fairshake

Well pards I thank ya even iffin y'all bust my bubble. It seems as if I've been coming out pretty close to the bottom shooting these 45's so I guess I'll just go for the style points. When I was young all the shells was paper with rolled crimp and I had more than one that would'nt chamber when damp. These seem alot harder and slicker than the ones of my youth tho. But with the answers from the group above, of which I have the upmost respect I will go with the answers given thats for sure. Thank ya Gentlemen :( :(
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Fox Creek Kid

When I find once fired paper hulls I merely use my trusty hull trimmer & cut off the crimp. I then load them w/ just a card wad betwixt powder & shot.  ;)

Rusty Spurless

Ok I'll bite....

Whats the allure of paper shells??? Some pard kind enough to splain it to me?
Rusty Spurless

Dark Lord of Soot
Warthog
SASS #63360
NCOWS #3096
USFA CSS
STORM

Sgt. Jake

A pard gave me a 50 gal.bag of Canuck paper hulls ,very close to Canada,here. They were in very nice shape,so I loaded them up ,OK used them at amatch,MISTAKE. As Hellgate said they tend to stick,the wax,wax heck, Canuck must have used Epoxy,at the lunch break I spent it trying to clean my chambers out. I have them for other than match use,I learned the hard way.         Adios  Sgt.Jake

Noz

Quote from: Rusty Spurless on December 11, 2008, 07:18:50 AM
Ok I'll bite....

Whats the allure of paper shells??? Some pard kind enough to splain it to me?

It's easy. Same as brass, STYLE POINTS.

Rusty Spurless

Much obliged...

I'll stick with my Magtech's. They sound like allot less hassle  :)

Rusty, Whoz shotgun iz wuz & will be his worst gun  ;D
Rusty Spurless

Dark Lord of Soot
Warthog
SASS #63360
NCOWS #3096
USFA CSS
STORM

Dick Dastardly

Here's a clue for loading paper shells.  I  use a MEC Supersizer to hold 'em still under my bench top drill press.  The Supersizer squeezes 'em down to factory size as it holds 'em for crimping.  After I spin down the crimp, I take the shell and turn it around nose down and squeeze the other end.

My shells feed good and shuck out just fine.  I like the paper hulls cuz I like the way they load, reload and look.

Here's one thing you can do on roll crimped shells.  Take the overshot card and write the basics of the payload on 'em.  Then, when you look at the loaded shells you will be able to know what the load is from your notes on the overshot card just like they did in the old days.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Goatlips

I got hold of a batch of Federal Reds and an antique roll crimper, and came up with a PVC trimmer that worked better than Tom Bullock's brass washer method

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

I forget what size plastic pipe to use but just take a shell to the hardware and see what it fits in.  Cut a piece to the length you want, grind a hole in the side so you can keep the empty hull from spinning while you cut off the excess paper with a utility knife.  3/4 of an inch as I recall.

I heated my hulls in a warm oven for a couple hours, the wax redistributes itself and the moisture is driven out, which I think shrinks them a little.  A pard (here, I think) suggested using Mop N Glow floor wax to slick them up but I didn't see any difference.

I like the old timey way they feel in my hand, is all.  ;D

Goatlips

Dick Dastardly

I've got a Ballistic Products hull trimmer, but I've not used it since I started shortening my shot shell hulls with my band saw.  The band saw is the quickest way to go if you have any amount of trimming to do.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

john boy

Dick and Goatlips ... them are some excellent ideas!  Guess, I'll have to pull out the box of papers and give your suggestions a try for 2009!  Thanks for sharing
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I do what Goatlips done.  Only without the thumb aperature.  Good Idea though;  I might try it, but pressing down on a mouse pad works pretty good.

The pipe is white, o/s dia about 1 ", and inside is about 3/4 ".  It is sold in lengths in the Plumbing department.  My hardware guy found a short bit of scrap by the cut-off table.

For 16 gauge go to the Electrical display and look for the gray stuff.  There is an elbow fitting that has a straight section that is just long enough.

On the main question.  I am set up to load Federal paper, but don't do it for competition.  I took some out rabbit hunting last winter with my old Husqvarna underlever model 20.  Even when in only OK shape, they roll-crimp quite well with the drill press mounted Lyman roll head.  I rub a parrafin candle over the outside in an attempt to recondition them.  I work the wax in by hand with a dowell inside.

I reloaded on my MEC GRABBER, but had to change the decapping pin to 16 gauge.  The 12 gauge decapper has a shoulder to staighten out the folds of plastic hulls, but swells paper into a flare that softens the case mouth.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Hoof Hearted

Hey DD

Your a gadget guy ;) Ever think about trying a Thermagic Hull Conditioner?

There is a write up in Rifle magazine (page 14 of this pdf):
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20245%20partial1.pdf

Warning! This will take forever on dial up...........
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Hoof,

Good looking outfit, but a mite spendy for me.  My plastic shot shells don't last real long cuz the Holy Black burns holes in 'em.  My 10ga is the worst of 'em.  The only factory hulls I've been able to find are Federals and they are not cheep.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Always can use another toy on the bench, but I'll wait on that one.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

WOW!  Only 5 easy payments of $120 and you get the entire RIFLE series!

For the small number of paper cases I am likely to load, I`ll spend the $80 bucks + shipping + Duty + Taxes, on powder & shot.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Sir Charles deMoutonBlack on December 12, 2008, 06:04:19 PM
WOW!  Only 5 easy payments of $120 and you get the entire RIFLE series!

For the small number of paper cases I am likely to load, I`ll spend the $80 bucks + shipping + Duty + Taxes, on powder & shot.
Sir CdeMB

I'm not following ya here.............I was recommending the Thermagic Hull Conditioner. They say it irons out crimps and rough burnt plastic (on the inside) as well as redistributing the wax and uniforming paper hulls. If I remember it was about $80 for one gauge.
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com