56-50 oversize bullets

Started by Herbert, December 02, 2008, 06:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herbert

I need  opinuns on how much oversize a bullet can be in armi sports rifle i have a rapine 520375 mould that drops .520 bullets using lyman no 2 alloy when i size to 512 it nealy removes lube grooves this bullet shoot very well in original spencer unsized and holds enough lube for blacknpouder but maybe to big for armi sports unsized even though it fits chamber ,any opinion would be apreciated

French Jack

I use the Lyman 515139 cast with 1-30 alloy in my Armi Sports, as cast it mikes .517+/-.  I size to .515 and it does well for me.  I have shot it as cast with no problems either.  Since the case is tapered, it allows the unsized bullet to seat and chamber.  I cannot say what would result from a larger bullet, however, if it would chamber I would try it.  With BP, you are not going to have pressure problems.
French Jack

Fox Creek Kid

Herbert, you need a different bullet (mould). I heartily recommend the Rapine 350-T especially made for the Italian Spencer. I shoot mine "as cast" (about 0.513) and they carry a ton of lube. I wouldn't hesitate as Ray at Rapine is no Spring chicken and wants out of the business.  ;)

Herbert

I have a rapine 350 T on order but in meantime I am trying to sort out rifle whith a bullet that has worked before

Hoot-3rd Ga

Herbert: I use a .518" Lyman hard lead cast bullet sized to .516"  I lube with SPG in a Lyman lubrisizer. I have no issues with fouling or leading. I would suspect that whatever you can seat in the case on top of a full case full of black powder and chamber easily would not be too big to go down the barrel safely. This never applies to smokeless loads or jacketed bullets!!!!! It is my experience that originals have a much smaller bore than Armisport reproductions.   Hoot - 3rd Ga

Herbert

that makes me feel beter i yoused .520 bullet and got much beter acuracy and it seemed to cary enough lube still think 350T bullet will be beter i carnt get the lyman bullet to group too short for twist i think

Gimpy Gus

Herbert,

Earlier this year Montana Presion changed their molds for their .515  360gr bullets. It has a flat base,3 grooves,and actually weighs in at 374grs. Lubed with SPG. My hunting load is 42gr of Swizz 3f, compressed 1/8 "+, 1grease groove exposed. OVL=approx. 1.58" Mv=1113 fps  50yd 3 shot groups =1.5". I'm shooting the Armisport carbine.

GG

ps I'm using Win. large rifle mag. primers.

Fox Creek Kid

G.G., I had some Montana Precision bullets back in Jan. - Feb. 2004 just after I bought my 56-50 Armisport carbine and then they were Smith carbine type bullets (similar to Lyman 515139 w/ three tiny grooves). They didn't shoot worth a da_ _ in my carbine and fouled out after a mag tube worth of shots. Not enough lube IMO for where I live. Do these "new" ones have more lube capacity?

Gimpy Gus

FCK,

I don't think so, but I'll pull a few Smith bullets in the next day or so and check.

GG

Herbert

whot is lenth of bullet i am trying to get longest posible bullet that will still function and get a reasnoble amount of pouder in

Gimpy Gus

Fox Creek Kid,

To my eyes the grease grooves on the new Montana Precision 360gr. .515 do look to be a tad wider and .010 deeper than their older version which was designed by Ray Rapine for the Navey Arms .50 Smith carbine. I've been only shooting Swiss for hunting loads and therefor wiping after 3 and 5 shot groups. For CAS I've been using up the last of my Black Mag3. Go all 5stages with out wiping and no misses but targets are big and close!

Herbert,

The above bullet is .768 in. long and weighs 374gr. The Ten-X factory load was using a 350gr bullet that was .724 in. long. I believe it was hard cast and .512 in diameter.

GG

GG

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com