Sharpening Box Cutter Blades

Started by JD Alan, November 18, 2008, 09:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Here's another Newbie Question!

All over this site I've read how important it is to sharpen blades of all kinds. Last night I cut out three holsters, and I can really understand the value of a sharp knife.

I used a box cutter knife from Tandy, and while the blades are sharp, I wouldn't want to shave with one! Any directions as to sharpening one of these would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a AS brand trim knife, and it's as dull as a hammer right out of the box . Not sure what to do with it either.

On a positive note, I'm able to get my swivel knife blades pretty sharp with a strop and some red rouge. Thanks for all the help I've received from the Pards on this great forum, JD   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy JD

I just strop my utility knife and all my straight edged knives with red rouge, if you have a dull edge and it won't come back with stropping , then it's time to put it to the stone , Tandy sells a sharpening tri-stone kit, and they also sell an angle unit that will help with your swivel knife blades. with your trim knife I chose to go with the trim knife that tandy sell that you can change out the blades, the blades are sharp as ^%$ and only need to be stroped as needed. With your utility knife , the extra blades a cheap, so if you can't get them to sharpen just change the blade, you can always go back to them and try to get the edge back when you have more time, but I just 86 them , their too cheap to worry about, and I have to have a super sharp knife when cuttung out my leather. hope this helped.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

kid sheleen

Hi JD,

I use single edge razor blades to cut out most of my stuff.  I get 10 of them at Wally World for $1.67.  You have to hold them up straight but they cut great.  For tight corners I use an X-Acto knife.  The blades for both are cheap enough that I don't waste time sharpening much of any thing.  For my swivel knives and head knife, I strop them on rough side coated with white jewelers rouge. :D
kid
www.circlemleather.com

JD Alan

Thanks 10 Wolves and Kid Sheleen, I appreciate your advice.

So Kid, with the single edge, you're just holding onto the metal top of the blade, and not using any other device to hold it? I seem to remember a small holder for those single edge blades, so maybe that's what you're talking about.

Thanks again, JD

Dalton Masterson

I hit a lot of antique shops around and about, and lately have been noticing the old razor sharpeners. Basically you clamp the blade in, turn the handle, and the strop part rotates around sharpening the blade.
I have been tempted to pick one of these up and try it for sharpening my blades.
They look pretty easy to run, and I suppose with a good cleaning/refreshening of the strop portion they would work pretty good.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Springfield Slim

I just pitch the utility blades, it is cheaper to by new ones than to waste my limited time. Also you might want to try the new serrated blades, seem to work better in thicker leather. Plus you can't sharpen them, so it eliminates THAT problem.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Marshal Will Wingam

I have one of the super fine Kratex wheels mounted in my bench grinder that I use to put a rough edge on. After that, I strop it with jeweler's rouge. I also strop frequently while cutting just to keep the oils off the blade so it doesn't drag. The side benefit of that is that it is always sharp enough to shave with.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Quote from: JD Alan on November 18, 2008, 09:31:05 AM
Here's another Newbie Question!

All over this site I've read how important it is to sharpen blades of all kinds. Last night I cut out three holsters, and I can really understand the value of a sharp knife.

I used a box cutter knife from Tandy, and while the blades are sharp, I wouldn't want to shave with one! Any directions as to sharpening one of these would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a AS brand trim knife, and it's as dull as a hammer right out of the box . Not sure what to do with it either.

On a positive note, I'm able to get my swivel knife blades pretty sharp with a strop and some red rouge. Thanks for all the help I've received from the Pards on this great forum, JD   

Howdy JD
I resharpen all my blades including X-acto and  scalpel blades.  I have a super fine stone from a fabric store
for scissors. Works great. Also extra fine wet/dry sandpaper works.
As for your ASB Trim knife I'm suprised, Mine was razor sharp out of the box. I use my fine stone on it also and
then strop.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

JD Alan

I hadn't thought to look at a fabric store for a sharpening stone WC, that's a good idea. I'll have to check out a wheel for my grinder, thanks Will.

Thanks to all who responded so far

JD

kid sheleen

Quote from: JD Alan on November 18, 2008, 12:01:29 PM
Thanks 10 Wolves and Kid Sheleen, I appreciate your advice.

So Kid, with the single edge, you're just holding onto the metal top of the blade, and not using any other device to hold it? I seem to remember a small holder for those single edge blades, so maybe that's what you're talking about.

Thanks again, JD

I have a handle for the single edge razor blades that my wife gave me 15 years ago when she left her receiving job at a major chain grocery store.  I haven't seen one like it anywhere lately, I don't know where she got it.  I think they quit making them when they came out with those breakable point box cutters they have now that never break where they're supposed to.  Sometimes for long straight cuts, like to make an edge for the strap cutter to follow on a large side, I use a 48" strait edge and an angle head utility knife. :)
kid
www.circlemleather.com

JD Alan

Is it flat and silver grey, looking like a somewhat oversized wrapped piece of gum? That's the type of box cutter still used in grocery stores around here. It holds a single edge razor that you can push out to expose the blade. I bought a box of 12 today for about 6 bucks, at the local cash & carry grocery supply.   

cowboywc

Quote from: JD Alan on November 18, 2008, 02:38:57 PM
I hadn't thought to look at a fabric store for a sharpening stone WC, that's a good idea. I'll have to check out a wheel for my grinder, thanks Will.

Thanks to all who responded so far

JD
The stone I have is from "GINGHER"
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

JD Alan

Thanks for that info WC. I'm going to be near the Fabic Depot (Monster size store in Portland) tomorrow, so I will check that out.

Much appreciated, JD

kid sheleen

Quote from: JD Alan on November 18, 2008, 05:56:42 PM
Is it flat and silver grey, looking like a somewhat oversized wrapped piece of gum? That's the type of box cutter still used in grocery stores around here. It holds a single edge razor that you can push out to expose the blade. I bought a box of 12 today for about 6 bucks, at the local cash & carry grocery supply.   

That's exactly it.  I didn't know they still made 'em or where to get any, but mine works great! :D
kid
www.circlemleather.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com