Lightning or Henry

Started by Wild Will, November 15, 2008, 05:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Will

My local dealer has a USFA Lightning and a Uberti Henry in stock.  This will be my only cowboy rifle at present.  Which one would you get and why?  Getting both at this time is not an option as I have been blowing my gun buying budget lately.

Thanks
"If you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
- Tuco

Captain Rob Page

I do not own a lightning but I have shot one and it is a very fast system. I do own a Cimarron Henry and I like it more than any other CAS rifle that I shoot.  My Henry is in 44WCF and a friend has one in 45 Colt. I think that if I had to choose, it would be tough, but I would go for the Henry.

Pettifogger

If this is going to be your only Cowboy rifle don't get a Lightning.  They are interesting guns and I have nine of them from various manufacturers.  Bottom line is that IF you get one that works they can be fun.  HOWEVER, finding one that works reliably is a crap shoot.  If you want reliability get a toggle link.  For your first and only CAS rifle I would get a 66 or 73 before a Henry.  The Henrys are neat but are heavy, you have to be careful loading them as you can get an ammo detonation if the follower is dropped after the last round is loaded and the barrel gets hotter than heck if you shoot black powder.  It is, however, a much better choice than a Lightning.

Major 2

No Brainer here  ;)

Henry
( be aware of what Pettifogger say's about loading but not afraid. )
Besides we have our own Child board here at Cas City  ;D
I use these two   
when planets align...do the deal !

August

I agree with everything Pettifogger said.  Outgrowing rifles is, for SASS shooters, like children outgrowing shoes.  Except, rifles are a lot more expensive than shoes.  If you start with rifle that you'll never outgrow, you'll save a lot of money, get faster sooner, and get attached to your gun -- which has all kinds of intangible value.

Get a '73.

Marshal Sam Holland

I have never owned a Henry, but I did own anAWA Lighnting when I first started. Mine was okay. I have seen many that will not operate correctly. I have a local pard, that has one in 38 (AWA) after a couple of trips to a gunsmith, his runs great. We even kid him by calling him "Ole Lightining" when he carries it to the stage to shoot. I have seen two or three Taurus Thunderbolts, and have yet to see one run good. I will agree with everyone who has replied...get a good lever action and you will a keeper...
Just my thoughts...
Mississippi River Rangers
Plum Point Posse
Bold(retired law dawg)

Dirty Brass

Quote from: Pettifogger on November 16, 2008, 09:07:42 AM
If this is going to be your only Cowboy rifle don't get a Lightning.  They are interesting guns and I have nine of them from various manufacturers.  Bottom line is that IF you get one that works they can be fun.  HOWEVER, finding one that works reliably is a crap shoot.  If you want reliability get a toggle link.  For your first and only CAS rifle I would get a 66 or 73 before a Henry.  The Henrys are neat but are heavy, you have to be careful loading them as you can get an ammo detonation if the follower is dropped after the last round is loaded and the barrel gets hotter than heck if you shoot black powder.  It is, however, a much better choice than a Lightning.

Not to steal a thread, but is this a common occurance with the Henry? I've only just bought one this year, and I've shot quite a few rounds through it (by my standards anyhow) and haven't experienced this yet. (hope I never do!) Is the spring tht powerful that it can set off primers, or is it a problem of high primers? All the bullets I've seen and used were FP and didn't appear to be able to contact recessed primers. Thanks in advance, and now back to the original thread. I vote Henry, but also would prefer a '66 or a '73. I have a deep fondess for both of mine. :)

Major 2

I'd like to add ...I also agree with Pettifogger  :)

There is a bit more to be aware of shooting a Henry.
I.E.
* the follower and the so called Henry Shuffle ( course you a can use a Spacer stick )  ;)
* being aware of the spring loaded follower and load carefully
* The Barrel does get warm with BP (gets warn with fad powder too) but it's not bad, and it cools between stages
* loading on the clock for the extra shot should the stage require it is not as fast .
But there are some advantages too...

all three are Toggle bolts ..
* the one piece Henry Barrel is stiffer ( a bit heaver ) but it adds to a stable barrel for accrate shots.
* Jams ( if they Occur ) are easy to clear with the external follower
* COOL Factor and STYLE points  ;D
* and 15 rounds baby !

If speed is your gold , Yeah , the 73 gets the nod

I've owned 3 Henry's ( I foolishly sold my first, needed cash ) but these two I have now are keepers..
I enjoy my Persona of circa 1871 , The Henrys & Open Tops are my passion.
Speed is not a need, I just enjoy shooting the Henry  :D

Major 2

Brassmagnet
"... is this a common occurrence with the Henry?

NO ! But possible
I've shot Henry's since 1981 ..I never witnessed it first hand , but was present on another stage at a shoot where
it happen once.
The results were from a reload with high primer and a RN Bullet, both preventable and slipped follower allow to slam down...also preventable
The Owner/loader was slightly burnt and nicked in the hand, a fellow shooter ( and friend of mine )
received a wound in the flesh of the midsection (stomach) required minor surgery)
The Henry Magazine was damaged, but a replacement barrel repaired all trace.
The Owner a wiser man, preaches safe loading if he see one in use. However, he sold his gun as a result.

Granted the improved Henry and the 73 are more user friendly ( also have the lever lock out safety fire dealy bob )
However , The question was Henry or Pump action lightning 

Then, The Henry is the better choice, IMHO

Dirty Brass

Thanks for the feedback. I'll rest a little easier, but now know to be very careful  ;)

Major 2

Just don't drop loads vertically down the magazine
I elevate the muzzle about 10-15 degrees from Horizontal

Pettifogger

Quote from: Major 2 on November 17, 2008, 04:07:57 PM
Just don't drop loads vertically down the magazine
I elevate the muzzle about 10-15 degrees from Horizontal

+1  When you are at the loading table cradle it in one hand and load with the other with the muzzle held at a slight angle and let the rounds slide down the tube slowly.  Never load by sitting the butt on the ground and letting the rounds drop straight down the tube.

Major 2

And grasp under the the swivel barrel tip to keep the Keeper from slamming down when you revolve it closed...
that way your hand will stop the keeper and you can ease it home a top the last round.
use these steps and you will have no issues with loading.

Wild Will

Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for your replies.  I believe I will go with the Henry.  I like the idea and the uniqueness of the Lightning but with the issues that have been discussed, I believe I will go with the Henry.  BTW I did think about the '73 but have always liked the looks (the style factor) of the Henry.  I actually went to the dealer on Sunday and the Henry was gone :(.  I guess I'll have to order one, not a big deal.  Also, thanks for letting me know about the possible issues with loading and I'll certainly make sure to follow everyone's advice.

Will
- Tuco

Pettifogger

One other thing, if you ever plan to shoot BP get the Henry in .44-40.  The .44-40 seals the breach much better than the .45 and keeps fouling out of the action.

litl rooster

If your looking to be a speed demon I agree with the others, there's other first guns to work better and give you a fighting chance.  if your looking for style and not worried about the clock. Both the Lightning or the Henrys are fine guns. Taking in all the pre mentioned issues that have been presented on them.  < They are facts.  However they both can be made to work.

here's my better half back in the spring making one work

Mathew 5.9

Pony Racer

LR does she know you are posting here video everywhere??

Hehehehe - just funning you.

The Henry looks cool - if I get another toggle link, I own a 73 and 66 - it will be a milspec style Henry.

I have been intrigued by the lightning but have never purchased one due to all the issues.  I may still get one in 38 one of these days.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Henry4440

Quote from: Wild Will on November 15, 2008, 05:19:06 PM
My local dealer has a USFA Lightning and a Uberti Henry in stock.  This will be my only cowboy rifle at present.  Which one would you get and why?  Getting both at this time is not an option as I have been blowing my gun buying budget lately.

Thanks

A HENRY!!!!!!!!!!!
Why?
Take a look

;)

Wild Will

- Tuco

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Wild Will on November 17, 2008, 09:20:19 PMI believe I will go with the Henry.  I like the idea and the uniqueness of the Lightning but with the issues that have been discussed, I believe I will go with the Henry.  BTW I did think about the '73 but have always liked the looks (the style factor) of the Henry.  I actually went to the dealer on Sunday and the Henry was gone :(.  I guess I'll have to order one, not a big deal.  Also, thanks for letting me know about the possible issues with loading and I'll certainly make sure to follow everyone's advice.
Very good choice. I've had a lightning. It was professionally worked over by one of the best. I still didn't work right at any kind of speed. The toggle link rifles can, and will, keep up with you as you get faster. My personal choice is the '73, but a '66 or Henry will perform equally well. You will have loads of fun with your Henry.

Those are some fine pics, LH. Thanks for posting them. Nothing looks nicer than a dolled-up Henry.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com