Color Case Hardening Inquiry?

Started by Doc Sunrise, November 09, 2008, 06:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Sunrise

I realize the reason for hardening inner parts, but was there a real purpose to the Color Case Hardening of externals, such as the frame & hammer?  Did guns that were in full Blue or Nickel get their frames and hammers hardened?  Or was this external color case hardening just for aesthetics?

Grogan

Seeing that the purpose of Case Hardening really was to HARDEN the (outer surfaces of the) steel, I'm guessing that they were.

The "colors" just came along as an added feature which allowed the makers to not have to further finish the metal with additional bluing etc.

BTW CCH's "colors" worst enemy is SUNLIGHT (U.V. rays)!  :o  FWIW ;)
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Grogan on November 09, 2008, 12:29:58 PM
Seeing that the purpose of Case Hardening really was to HARDEN the (outer surfaces of the) steel, I'm guessing that they were.

The "colors" just came along as an added feature which allowed the makers to not have to further finish the metal with additional bluing etc.

BTW CCH's "colors" worst enemy is SUNLIGHT (U.V. rays)!  :o  FWIW ;)

Actually, the Colt SAA frame was made of iron until 1882.  ;)

Grogan

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on November 09, 2008, 03:38:27 PM
Actually, the Colt SAA frame was made of iron until 1882.  ;)

Yes, that's right (as were ALL the Colt Percussion revolvers, preceding the SAAs)

Iron in the 1840s & 1850s revolvers, and BETTER (stronger) Iron in the 1860s vintage revolvers.

But just like the Percussion revolvers they were ALL Case Hardened, and it wasn't just for "looks".
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Doc Sunrise

Thanks for the replies.  I had a feeling it was more than looks, but the nickel and full blue guns threw me off.

St. George

You can plate over case hardening.

As to a full-blue Colt - most likely that'd be a re-blued weapon, done often, but usually very late in the history of the piece, when the finish loss was significant, and to make for a quicker sale at a time when 'original finish' meant a worn appearance, and 'shiny' made the case for a newer-looking piece.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com