Peasemaker: arms of the Old West

Started by HorsePen Henry, November 07, 2008, 11:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HorsePen Henry

As you fellas know, I have been reading Peacemakers here lately. I get all got up in the color pix instead of readin' sometimes.
Anyways, I thought I would share some pix of a couple a Peace makers I have built. I am working on some leather for these out a brain tanned deerskin like in the books. These here ought to take a bear in the back of any old van.  ;D

Both of them are .58 caliber. If I run outta bullets in the one I can grab another'n. ;D

Whaddya think Kid,
X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Gun Butcher

Horsepen, you been holding out on us..... ;) I am on my fifth rifle now and it has been in the works for about 2 years.
Been trying to get the hang of engraving but I have run into a wall.  who would a thunk that sharpening an engraving tool just the way it needs to be would be so hard.
Anyway, those are both beautiful pieces and truly bearslayers extordinre.
Are those german silver wedges, tenons and nosecap.  and that tiger stripe is great.  Well done pard  8)
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Dalton Masterson

Beautiful HorsePen!! I always wanted to build one, but never have. Someday. Georgeous work. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

Those stocks are downright amazing! Fantastic woodworking and all around craftsmanship. Once again I stand amazed at what people can do! Nice work, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ace Lungger

:)HP, Them there rifles are sure Purdy :o :o
Thanks for sharing
Later Greg
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Horse Pen  ::) :o 8)

Beautiful firearms you have there, I made a Santa Fe Hawken 54 cal. back in 84, it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot , your metal and wood came out great, and the wood to metal fit also looks spot on too, thanks for sharing this with us. What else are you hiding down up in dar. ???

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Those are really works of art, pard. Truly beautiful. Thanks for sharing those pics.

Let's see, a nice leather hard-shell case would look very good for those.  :D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

HorsePen Henry

Thanks fellas!! I take all of these compliments as high praise from such fine artists as yerselves. I just like tinkerin' with all kinds of stuff. I have always loved building the guns because I get to do wood and metalwork combined into one artform. Plus I get to shoot these artforms.  ;D Engraving isn't one of my strong suits but I don't mind giving it my best shot when I have to get a longrifle engraved.
I am glad you like the Hawken rifles! It will be awhile before I get ta show off the scabbards. I am not a very fast beader.  :-[
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Horse Pen,

Beautiful work! It's a genuine pleasure to to look at those beautiful rifles. Can't wait to see the scabbards you will make for them.

I have a dumb question. Are those scratch built? Someday I would like to make a muzzle loader for deer hunting.

Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

Not a dumb question at all Johnny, IMO. I was wondering the same thing. No matter what, HP did a great job with it.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

kid sheleen

Man, HP, that's some bee-you-tee-full work right there!  I reckon any bear that runs acrosst you is gonna end up salted and smoked for sure! :D  Did you give 'em a name yet?  Rifles that fine have to have a name! :D
kid
www.circlemleather.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello Johnny & JD

You can build these rifles from scratch or you can get them in kits of different degrees of being finished, the Santa Fe Hawken I made came in an all most done package, I still had to fit some of the metal parts, finish the metal parts and brown all the metal parts, it takes a little time, but would be a great Winter project, and a ton of fun to build, and you can surely use these rifles to hunt with, you even get to lap the the bores  and put a crown on the bore mussle, then your ready to go to the range and get the sight adjusted, I never did get mine right, I ran out of time to deal with it and never got back to it again , seeing Horse Pens,has woke up the desire to get that rifle out and make it work, only this time I think I'll look into getting some better sights on it, and we'll see how it does. Again thanks for sharing your Beautiful Rifles with us Horse Pen, it makes me feel good to see Beauty's like these.  ::) :o 8)

Take care Pards :D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

ChuckBurrows

HP makes all of his guns from scratch (he buys the barrels and locks) - just found out one of his .54 Hawken lhalfstocks is on display at the NRA Firearms as an example of fine modern makers.......congrats mi amigo who is multi-talented artist - he is also a silversmith abd painter..........he don't toot his horn too often (although he also plays flute!) but here's a link to some of his paintings
http://americanindianartbrokers.com/Secondinebo.asp

For those of ya'll that would like to try your hand at making a Hawken from a kit - the best kits available, bar none, are supplied by Don Stith www.donstith.com

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

HorsePen Henry

:-[  I misspelled Peacemakers in the title!!! ;D :-[
Oh well. A small detail.
Both of these rifles are all scratch built in that I build them from parts that I buy from this one and that one. Mostly I use the old Ron Longs parts from way back 30 years or so ago. You can still get his triggers and locks from Track of the Wolf. I like the Getz or Rice barrels. The stock wood I get wherever I can find a chunk that looks good to me.
Thanks for all of your fine compliments.
Hats off to y'all,
HP
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Horse Pen

WOW, you've been holding out on us pard, thanks to CB, and those links, we can see just what a wonderfull Artist you are, and your talented in so many things, my Hats Off to Ya Pard, and what a great job with those rifles, especially for making them from scratch, that must really take time and patience, not to mention a study hand and know how.

A special Thanks to your good friend Chuck Burrows for sharing all this with us, Don I feel like I know you a lot better now.  :D

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Interpreting the spelling on these forums is almost half the fun! 

"Atz whacha get with our international members, as well as those who were smart enough to earn a good livin' without the niceties of gramma & spellin'!

"Johnnie!  Where's your grammar?"
"She's at home takin' a nap, Miz Smith"
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on November 08, 2008, 01:58:40 PM
Howdy Horse Pen

WOW, you've been holding out on us pard, thanks to CB, and those links, we can see just what a wonderfull Artist you are, and your talented in so many things, my Hats Off to Ya Pard, and what a great job with those rifles, especially for making them from scratch, that must really take time and patience, not to mention a study hand and know how.

A special Thanks to your good friend Chuck Burrows for sharing all this with us, Don I feel like I know you a lot better now.  :D

I'll have to give ol' Chuck a holler tomorrow and call him a "bucket mouth"!!!  ;) ;D Naw, not really. I am just funnin' him and he knows it. He is a good friend.
Thanks guys for all the kind words. Enjoy the pictures and all.
Much appreciate ya,
Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

ChuckBurrows

Well I've been called a bucket head before (I wear a size 8 hat).............

Besides that's what's called advertising courtesy of Wild Rose Advertising Agency, Leather Cafting, and Knifemaking, Unltd - and like Gus we don't rent pigs......... ;D
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Dr. Bob

Somehow Chuck, that's real reassuring! :o ::) ;D

Horse Pen,

Ya take the cake for modesty.   He introduced himself as an art teacher at Haskell!  Talk about understatement!!!!!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Mogorilla

Wow, those are true works of art.   I had a Hawken in my teens and a buddy had a flinter, great guns both of them and I miss them.  25 years flew by, may have to start saving my pennies for a flinter of my own.   HP, if you get a nasty email from my wife, you know why!   ;D

SIZE 8??!!!  Holy cow, people use to laugh at my 7 3/4 when I tried to buy hats.   Do you have to make you own hats Chuck?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com