I quess us Kansas boys don't know what you out west call a bowie knife

Started by Ace Lungger, November 05, 2008, 03:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

:)Howdy Pards,
well I thought my knife sheath was big, I mdae a holster for a gentleman out west and also I bowie knife sheath, the holster fits like a glove, but the sheath was to small! So i made him a new ane and need to ship tomorrow. Mine is the small one!
I haven't been doing much leather, but I know what a real Bowie Knife sheath looks like now :o :o
Later ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

ChuckBurrows

Heck Ace them are just babies - here's one I'm building now.......

In case you can't read it the blade is 12 1/4" long by 2 1/2"

Here's teh piece of antler for the grip - overall length will be about 19"

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Texas Lawdog

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Mogorilla

Hey Ace,
I too am working on one, it is about the size of Chuck's.   I am reshaping an old corn knife.   Best part about making a knife is knowing I will get to make the Sheath as well!!!   It will probably take me half the winter, so I will post pics in a month or two.

Sgt. Jake

Ace   Nice work,Chuck  Now thats a KNIFE !!                             Adios  Sgt. Jake

Ace Lungger

thanks Jake,
CB, the blade on my sheath was 11" . See it shows you, I don't know much about this stuff!The only reason I used the same stamp, on that sheath is it matches his holster I made him!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

JD Alan

Nice toothpick Chuck!. Thanks again for making your excellent holster DVD.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

ChuckBurrows

JD - glad you liked and even more glad it helped out.

ACE - was just a pullin' yore leg. BTW - nice work on the sheath.

For those folks interested in Bowie knives in all their permutations I can HIGHLY recommend
"The Bowie Knife Book" by Norm Flayderman - it's available on www.knifeworld.com and runs about $70.00 - sounds expensive, but you get 520 pages chock full of the most gorgeous photos (most in color) of all types of Bowies and their sheaths - at that price it's cheap. For those who can't afford it go to you local library and ask to do an interlibrary loan.....also check around on AMazon, etc and you might find a less expensive price........
aka Nolan Sackett

Marshal Will Wingam

Cool sheath, Ace. Nice work. It sure outsizes your other one. ;)

That's some knife you're making, Chuck. I'm headed for the SFO gunshow this weekend. I'll look for that book. Flayderman sure puts out some good books.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Here's what abebooks has to offer.  Apparently they don't have the flayderman book.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?tn=The+Bowie+Knife+Book&x=55&y=13

Ouch!  $1595 for a measly book?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Ace Lungger

Sir Charles,
I would have to save for 20 years to buy that book! I can't image a book costing that much! must have 24 cart gold leterring?
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

ChuckBurrows

Sir Charles - That's a completely different book. That one was a private printing of IIRC 1500 copies quite some time ago and the initial cost was $495.00 a copy.

The one I mentioned is a recent printing and may only be available from the link I posted.
aka Nolan Sackett

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Yeah Chuck;  I Know!  Abebooks don't have that book, probably too new.  They are a resale broker.

I thought the results of my search was so "rich", I had to pass it on.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Ace Lungger

:)I have bought some nice knife made out of S.S. , But since I got hurt I cannot get out and walk the timbers for antler drops. And the bad thing , you only get 1 good part  per anteler. I am hopeing to buyy some fresh kill don't know how well they will work.
You all have a nice weekend coming up!
Later ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dr. Bob

Sometimes I get lucky when I'm searching on the WWW! ;D  But not very often! ::) ::)
Try this ABE link:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Flayderman&sortby=2&sts=t&tn=bowie+knife&x=39&y=11

I just searched Flayderman as author and bowie knife in the title and there are several in the $73 range. ;D

The Bowie Knife - Unsheathing an American Legend is the title.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ace Lungger

Thanks Bob, But those are out of my price range. Who would of ever thought how high everything would get? I would love to buy some Damasus knife blanks, but they are so high priced, that i can't buy them, and have them set around. This winter, I am going to design my knife sheaths to look more 1800's, I have just been to tight to buy the stuff I need to make them look like they should.
CB, sheaths are just out of this world, and I hope in no way he gets mad, if I try to copy some of his stuff! There is NO WAY I can make anything that NICE, but just copying some of his design's. If I can make something that looks sell able, maybe I can put something on ebay, and at least get my money back so I can play more! With my life status, I just can't go out to far and buy a lot of stuff, just to have lying around! Don't care about making much money, because I don't want to sell something that someone might buy from one of the guys that make there living doing leather work!
I am NOT SAYING that I can even make anythng that would compare to these Pards that make there living doing leather! But there are people like me, that would love to have something made by CB or WG or CowboyWC and the 100 others on here, but my class of income people will never be able to buy that quailty of workman ship! There is no way I could list all the Pro's on this forum that I would like to have a peice of there work!
TW made me a couple peices, that are my Pride and Joy!! The workman ship is AWESOME, and he made them just for me, from his heart! I am pleased with most of my work, not all!! But I allways see the mistakes I make, if only I could beat it into my head, my work would be better!! My biggest problem, is getting into a hurry! I can blame some of that on my liminted amount of time that I can set up! But that is just a cop out, because I have no dead lines, to get anything done. Also, I can't get it threw my thick skull that I cannot do things that I used to do. And if there is something I can do, it takes 10 times longer because of the back! So I get mad and that makes things worse!
You all have a nice weekend
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

ChuckBurrows

QuoteBut there are people like me, that would love to have something made by CB or WG or CowboyWC and the 100 others on here, but my class of income people will never be able to buy that quailty of workman ship!
Heck Ace I can't afford my own work!  ;D I seldom have time to make something for myself.......

QuoteCB, sheaths are just out of this world, and I hope in no way he gets mad, if I try to copy some of his stuff!
Personally I'm of the opinion that imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery (at least when done with respect and not just copied to make a sale).
When I first started on this path I unabashedly and unashamedly copied the work of those I considered masters - it's how I learned. Over time I found my own muse, but I am still inspired by the work of others - the one thing I do and think it is only right is to pay homage to those who have inspired me by noting their influence.
In the long run no matter how close one might copy my work my work will still be imbued with my "spirit" and yours with yours..........

As for your last comments - all of us who care about our work can point out every little glitch we've made - we are our own worst critic and "hurrying" is too often our bane.......
Like you I have some pretty serious back problems, both low back and neck, that create limitations - been dealing with them for almost 30 years and yes they are frustrating, but learning to deal with them and have patience can actually be a plus. I do have deadlines and thank the good Lord that my customers are understanding, but it still causes me stress - on the other hand that stress is not good for me or my work so I have had to learn how to work around it and just do what I can do when I can do it.....

A gent once said about my work - "you have captured that elusive Zen concept of perfection within imperfection" and everytime I get upset I remember that and also remember that only the Creator can produce perfect work.......
aka Nolan Sackett

Ace Lungger

CB,
Thank you so much for your words of wisdoms! I hate that you have suffered with your problems for such a long time! And I thought 6 years was bad :o I have spent all my life from 15 years old up untill this time, with a mentor. i allways found comfort and compassion being around gentleman that were a lot older than myself! For it was, they had so much knowledge, and that knowledge didn't come out of text books it came out of lifes experences. 5 years ago I lost my last mentor, the kindness man I ever knew! And of course it couldn't of came at a worst time in my life, I had just lost my sister to breast cancer, I had just hurt my back, and then for him to pass! I know in my heart that they are in a better place now.
And now I have 2 new mentors, one this forum and the other my pal TW. In my option, that is what is wrong with the young people today, they have all this high tech stuff and feel that they don't need us older people!! Nothing can take the place of real life experences!

Thanks to all of you on here!
Have a good weekend!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com