1875 outlaw grip

Started by Mississippi Sam, October 23, 2008, 05:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mississippi Sam

Good afternoon all! 

I am interested in picking up an 1875 outlaw, but I'd like to get my mitts on the grip to see if it is a fit first.  Since the 1875 is a bit more difficult to come by than the 1858, I was wondering how similar the grips are to give a test squeeze.

Thanks all!

Steel Horse Bailey

I have an 1858 and an 1875:  They feel roughly the same to me. 
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Mississippi Sam

Steel Horse Bailey

You're welcome.

Did you find one, yet, Sam?

I know where one is here in Indy at a VERY good price.  The dealer took it in trade.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Mississippi Sam

No I haven't, but I'm always a sucker for a good deal.  Can you send me the info?

Daniel Nighteyes

Let me chime in on the opposite side.  I have a (Pietta?) 1875 Outlaw in .357, and a pair of (Uberti) 1858's.  The grips do not feel similar to me.  The 1875 feels "longer" from trigger to backstrap than the 1858's, and the curve in the 1875's grip doesn't feel as comfortable.  Of course, your mileage may vary considerably.

Here's the '75:

Here are the '58's:

Harley Starr

Can there be one piece grips for the 1875?
A work in progress.

Old Top

Sixgun,

No as the grip is part of the receiver and you are not able (short of a bandsaw) to take it off as you can with the Colt and the Colt clones.

Old Top

I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Daniel Nighteyes on October 31, 2008, 09:02:12 AM
... I have a (Pietta?) 1875 Outlaw in .357, and a pair of (Uberti) 1858's. 

Fine shootin' irons, Dan'l.

As far as I know, the ONLY 1875 Remingtons have been from Uberti and the occasional Hartford Armory.  No Pietta.  Pietta has made MANY 1858s (actually 1863s).  I don't know where Uberti came up with the stoopid "Outlaw" name they use.  Maybe because Frank James is well-known to have favored one.  It's stupid, if ya ask me, and does a terrible injustice to a fine firearm.

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on November 15, 2008, 04:21:07 PM
Fine shootin' irons, Dan'l.

As far as I know, the ONLY 1875 Remingtons have been from Uberti and the occasional Hartford Armory.  No Pietta. 

Yep, that's the reason for the question-mark!  All I know is that my '75 has a pinched-post front sight (it is crooked, BTW), whereas all the Ubertis I've seen have a front blade sight.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Daniel Nighteyes on November 18, 2008, 07:15:34 PM
Yep, that's the reason for the question-mark!  All I know is that my '75 has a pinched-post front sight (it is crooked, BTW), whereas all the Ubertis I've seen have a front blade sight.

I suppose we could actually refer to the Uberti 1875 replicas as being of what, three types?
Lets see there are the first types (let's fill in the production dates) with the correct or original type of cylinder pin latch. Probably with the "pinched post" type front sight.
Secondly we have the "pinched post" sight type with the cross pin latch (aka Colt type).
Then Third we have the blade type front sight and the cross pin latch.

We should start a pinned post where we can accumulate the dates that these changes occured and any additional changes that are note worthy ;D
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

ColonelFlashman

The designations for the Remington Cartridge Model Army Revolvers as years are thus.

Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE USMH;
Colonel 17th Lancers Staff Political Officer;
Staff Corp Commander & D.o.P. Command Staff
WartHog, Pistolero & Mounted Shootist
:uk:  :usa:  :canada:  :dixie:  :ausie:

Curley Cole

Why howdy Col. Flashy, how the heck you been? Haven't seen/heard from you in an age...

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com