slimjim holster with a flap ... ideas for an 1851 navy cart conv

Started by Dakota Widowmaker, October 23, 2008, 09:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota Widowmaker

I am about to do a gated conversion to my 1851 and wanted to get a new holster for it.

I am thinking about making a rather simple slimjim but with a flap.

The thought had crossed my mind to just swing by Cabela's and get one of their $18 ones and add a flap.

Have any of you leathersmiths out there seen something like what I am describing?

The holster would have the flap attached by 3 or 4 snaps on the back, but just use a stud to hold down the flap on the outside.

I would likely put a small cant to it. I like a cross draw. Rides better when I sit down between shoots.

Marshal Will Wingam

I've seen a photo of a half-flap holster with a skirt added at a later date. I've never seen a flap added. Many people cut the flaps down or completely off.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Trailrider

Quote from: Dakota Widowmaker on October 23, 2008, 09:58:05 AM
I am about to do a gated conversion to my 1851 and wanted to get a new holster for it.

I am thinking about making a rather simple slimjim but with a flap.

The thought had crossed my mind to just swing by Cabela's and get one of their $18 ones and add a flap.

Have any of you leathersmiths out there seen something like what I am describing?

The holster would have the flap attached by 3 or 4 snaps on the back, but just use a stud to hold down the flap on the outside.

I would likely put a small cant to it. I like a cross draw. Rides better when I sit down between shoots.

It can certainly be done.  Depending on the size of the snaps and the resulting thickness, it might get bulky between the belt loop and your side.  I suggest using screwposts instead.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Ned Buckshot

If you can get ahold of "Packing Iron" there are many designs like you are looking for.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com