Lining a holster/belt

Started by Rayban, October 21, 2008, 06:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayban

How important is it to line a holster and belt...is it all about looks??
Do you lean towards a lined rig, or are you unimpressed with it?
The belt I'm about to make is already 1/4" thick skirting leather, so how much thicker do I want the belt to be??
Just would like to know your thoughts on this.... ???

Marshal Will Wingam

I prefer the feel of unlined belts. I don't like a stiff rig. It's too restrictive when bending over to pick something up. As to the holsters, I like to make them single layer, also. Although there were lined ones, unlined ones are more true to what most holsters were like in the 1800's.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dalton Masterson

I agree with what Marshall said. I also think that some linings make the holster feel sticky in some situations. I know you can silicone the heck out of anything, (I wont and dont), but I find the single layer allows a pistol to slide out easier, once broke in.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

knucklehead

lined or not its mostley the prefrence of the person wearing the belt and holster setup.

that said i have made both. i prefer to make my rigs lined.
i think the lining adds to the look of the rig. to me it looks more finished.

i use 8-9 ounce leather with 1-2 ounce lining.
if the holster is wetformed right then you should not have a problem with the gun sticking.
i have had no problems with my gun sticking in the lined holster.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

kid sheleen

Almost all the work I do for myself and friends is lined.  While it does make the leather a bit stiffer, if you size the pattern right it actually makes the gun come out easier, at least for me.  And I oil the inside of the holster well so it makes it slicker.  And the lining provides much better protection for the gun, so it doesn't rub the bluing off as quickly.  The Marshal is certainly correct about there not being many lined holsters in the old west.  I also wet lace my cartridge loops almost exclusively and a belt lining covers the back nicely.  I use 8/9 ounce also but my linings are usually 3/4 oz.  Stiff, yes, but it works for me.  And truthfully, it's a matter of preference, like most anything where you have a choice. :)
kid
www.circlemleather.com

springfield

I prefer unlined. Looks more authentic to me, easier to make, and I don't have to worry about tearing out a lining. I used the same pair of 44-40 pistols for 4 years and I barely wore the blue off the front edge of the barrels. Never did buy the wearing off the blue theory, certainly not enough for me to worry about it. 

swordboy

reblueing is as easy as scrubing down your gun and painting it with perma-blu ...... re-finished a piece or two my self ..... and a few knives ....... messy messy messsy
the line between genius and madness may be a fine one ,but theres a big brick wall between crazy and stupid

Rayban

Quote from: kid sheleen on October 26, 2008, 10:21:20 AM
Almost all the work I do for myself and friends is lined.  While it does make the leather a bit stiffer, if you size the pattern right it actually makes the gun come out easier, at least for me.  And I oil the inside of the holster well so it makes it slicker.  And the lining provides much better protection for the gun, so it doesn't rub the bluing off as quickly.  The Marshal is certainly correct about there not being many lined holsters in the old west.  I also wet lace my cartridge loops almost exclusively and a belt lining covers the back nicely.  I use 8/9 ounce also but my linings are usually 3/4 oz.  Stiff, yes, but it works for me.  And truthfully, it's a matter of preference, like most anything where you have a choice. :)

...and a sewing machine, right?? ;D

kid sheleen

:P Nope!  No machine.  Wish I did for the belts for sure.  But I'm just a poor old retired(more or less) country boy on a basically fixed income so I can't afford even a used machine.  Besides, God is teaching me patience, although I try to keep my virtues to a minimum, they're easier to keep track of that way! ;D
kid
www.circlemleather.com

Rayban

Quote from: kid sheleen on November 02, 2008, 09:55:35 AM
:P Nope!  No machine.  Wish I did for the belts for sure.  But I'm just a poor old retired(more or less) country boy on a basically fixed income so I can't afford even a used machine.  Besides, God is teaching me patience, although I try to keep my virtues to a minimum, they're easier to keep track of that way! ;D

I hear ya Kid....Sir.....the winters are long and cold here in Mich......lots of time to line a belt/holster rig....may have to give it a go....
nice web site too. 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com