Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RollingThunder

Apparently I'm the unlucky fella who gets to post after TyG's incredible saddle. Oh well. Can't all be as good as his, but we all do try our best, and that's what counts, right?

So here's the never-ending project (mainly because a whole mess of emergencies stuck it on the back burner here and there).

These are my friend Prairie Rose's chinks. Leather supplied by the one, the only, Jack Baumgartner (Saddletramp - my good friend, mentor, and just a good egg). Modeled by my neighbor's daughter, Sam. No, the chinks didn't fit her, but I had to get them on someone for these pics, and Sam was the only female available aside from Tori, and Tori is 9.

The photos aren't very good, but I'll upload some more later. This at least shows them off, so Michelle could see what is headed her way.

There are 3 separate flowers on these chinks. Two on the left hip, one on the right. The conchos are two-tone brass and nickel, and the billets, chapes, and straps are all sueded latigo splits. The back lacing is Dr. Jackson Black Latigo. All the stitching is hand-sewn. There is one concho of a "Prairie Rose" on the back of the billets.

The color is a mixture of Briar Brown highlight and EVOO. Tried not to get it too red, because if it was darker it might have looked a bit like ... well ... rodeo chaps. LOL.

The back panels are reinforced with the same 9 oz. leather as the hip and thigh plates, and held in place with sueded latigo splits hand-sewn to enclose chap snaps. The D-Rings are reinforced with double thickness body hide, and are bleed-knotted to the body of the chinks through 9 oz. leather thigh plates and 7 oz. leather conchos with natural-finish edges. All leather edges are hand-burnished with oil. The finish on all leather pieces is Eco-Flo Super Sheen.

Here's a close-up of the Rose between the two belt panels.

And here's a detail shot of the left-hand side's floral tooling. Be gentle, I'm not that good. LOL

Enjoy!
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

cowboy316

RT
very well done there pard love the tooling and the all around design one word comes to min SEXY
great job pard keep up the great work
    Cowboy316

Dr. Bob

RT,

I sure pity the feller that has to follow you!  WOW those chaps look great!! :o ;D ;)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

RollingThunder

Careful cowboy, that one's 17, and her daddy is handy with a shotgun. LOL. Not to mention she's like a niece to me.

Thanks for the kind words, both of ya. I appreciate it.

cowboy316

whoa there RT LOL im married and got a step son thats 18 not to mention i was refering to the chaps but reply does make a guy fell young again LOL
Cowboy316

Marshal Will Wingam

Well, RT, you've outdone yourself on this one. Those look great. What a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Howdy RT
That's a good lookin pair of Chinks. Nice work.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

cowboywc

Howdy RT
That's a good lookin pair of Chinks. Nice work.
WC

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Everyone,

I'm on my annual Sturgis trip and this is the first time I've had computer access in many days. In the meantime there has been a lot of great leather work posted. My compliments to everyone for a job well done.

I took some pictures at the Custer Battlefield in Montana and the Buffalo Bill musuem in Cody, WY. I'll post some slide shows when I get back
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Nice work RT, pretty model too

TW  :D ;D

Howdy Johnny, sounds like you had a great trip, I'll be looking forward to seeing your pictures

TW  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

RollingThunder

I agree Johnny! Can't wait to see them!

Don't sweat it 316! LOL.

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on August 06, 2009, 06:07:45 AMI'm on my annual Sturgis trip and this is the first time I've had computer access in many days. In the meantime there has been a lot of great leather work posted. My compliments to everyone for a job well done.

I took some pictures at the Custer Battlefield in Montana and the Buffalo Bill musuem in Cody, WY. I'll post some slide shows when I get back
Glad to hear you're having a great time, pard. Looking forward to your photos. We'll see you when you get back.

Ace Lungger

RT,  :)
Those chaps are AWESOME, I realy like the way  the carving flows with the design of the chaps, just the right amount of carving to set them apart from the average!!
Thanks for Sharing!!!

Howdy Johhny,  :)
I am glad that you got to go to Sturgis, It is Beautifull county up there, I like Spear Fish and Deadwood, I plan on going back up there one of these day!!
Have a good time and a safe ride Home!!!

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Wiley Desperado

Very cool chinks RT like every thing about them, never made any chaps or chinks but you give a fellow inspriation might give it a try one of these days.

cowboywc

Howdy All
Made this belt yesterday, finished it up a few minutes ago. Still have to go to the silversmith to get the tip off the old belt.
WC

cowboywc

Detail pix

Gun Butcher

Very nice looking chinks RT. I don't see anything that I don't approve of ;)

Wc, as always nice work pard, thats gettin to be your signature style of carving and it do look good on anything.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Marshal Will Wingam

That's some fine belt work, Wayne. It'll be interesting to see how some of us do now with your influence. I know my work will be a little more interesting. Thanks for sharing.

FEATHERS

G'Day RT,I really like those chinks & I love the way you used those concho's (I posted this pic a while back)these were my 1st effort with a pair of chaps for my daughter.Great job Feathers

RollingThunder

Heck, Feathers. Those put mine to shame, and then some!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com