Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

santee

Great work, y'all. What is the purpose of a kidney belt? Back support?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Santee,

Prior to 1958 Harley's had no suspension at the rear wheel, just springs supporting the seat. Kidney Belts did give the rider some back support.   On this particular motorcycle there is a spring in the frame. http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/HD%20Museum/100_0525.jpg">
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ace Lungger

Howdy Johnny,
I lowered my 78 FLH with the shortest shocks, and then made heavy steal mount going back 3", realy got it low, but only had a 1 1/2" shock travel, it was ruff!
Later Bud!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Bad Hombre

Howdy Boys...Thanks for the kind words!!
Johnny, the Ladies Rodeo 1900 thru the Great Depression is were the photo, I used to make that belt, came from.
For the same reason the Harley riders wore them!
To protect their internal organs.
Weight lifters too.
The belt provides great back support and the weight distribution, removes any weight pressure on the hips.
Cinched up tight, it actually buts pressure on the lower back.
It works!!!

BH
"Them guns ain't old son, they're experienced"

Gun Butcher

I posted pictures of this rig while it was in the stamping stage and then I was out of town for a while. But, anyway here is the finished product.
  Pattern is based on the holster shown on pg. 87 of Packin' Iron.

The stamp is one I made myself.  I haven't got the hang of taking pictures like some of you do but here they are for (hopefully)your enjoyment.      Gun Butcher       ???
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Marshal Will Wingam

Looks good, GB. You really captured the essence of that holster. Good work. I like the stamping at the angle you did it, too.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Johnny McCrae

Wow GB,

That is some beautiful work you have posted. Nifty design on the Holsters. Many thanks for sharing this with us
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Forty Rod

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on May 24, 2009, 09:14:29 AM
Howdy Santee,

Prior to 1958 Harley's had no suspension at the rear wheel, just springs supporting the seat. Kidney Belts did give the rider some back support.   On this particular motorcycle there is a spring in the frame. http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/HD%20Museum/100_0525.jpg">

My dad had a "kidney belt" in the late '20s up until WWII for anything done on a horse and used it when he was a lumberjack.  It's made of saddle weight rough-out bull hide and has three belts/buckles to close it.  I wish I knew what had become of it.  It would just about fit around my thigh (Dad wasn't a very large man), but I'd like to have it anyhow.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Bad Hombre

That's a great looking rig GB !!!!!!
That billet hiding back there is cool !!!!
Great design, great stamping, Dang good picture too!!

BH
"Them guns ain't old son, they're experienced"

Ace Lungger

Howdy GB,
One word AWESOME :o :o I realy like that rig!! Nice lines on it!! keep it!!
And thanks for Sharing
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Gun Butcher

Thanks to all for your kind comments ,now I have 4 rigs for one set of guns. I think I need some new Ideas or it's back to the rifle building for me.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

JD Alan

CB 316, I'm doing real well. I got back to leading worship this week, with guitar, as well as preaching. It plum wore me out, but it felt good.

GB Very nice work. The solution is obvious, more guns! Oh well, there's the expense and all that.

BH, very nice rig for your wife., I hadn't thought of a built in back support. Kidney belts were standard equipment for riding dirt, at least in the 60's and 70's when I rode. We didn't have as much suspension as they do now. I have a back rest on my Harley, or I'd never ride, 'cause my back wouldn't take it.

I use a Gold's Gym leather weight lifting belt at the range between stages when my back is acting up, so now, thanks to BH, I have a new possibility.

I haven't noticed Horse Pen doing any posting lately. Anyone know how he's doing?

Thanks for sharing, JD   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

How do BH  ;D

What a good idea for some one with a bad back, and smart of you to do it , I think we have all had back problems in our years, and know how painful it can be, for a lot of folks it's something they have to go through 24/7, and that can be rough, I know your wife must really appreciate the support this belt must give her.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

RollingThunder

LOL, Padre!

I used to own a '69 Triumph 600 chopper. Hardtail rear, 42" spring front. 8.5' long. John Deere Construction Yellow.

Ex-wife made me sell it.

Should have traded her in on a new model right then and there.

Anywho -- most of ya'll have seen this one, but I thought I would put it on here for posterity.

I got really lucky because the fat rolls on the cow were in this area, as was a big scrape (seen half-way down the barrel). I didn't mind the scrape, honestly, it's just a knockabout rig I did in a few hours. But the color and how it made the fat rolls turn out, well, I sorta like that look. Just kinda different.

Hoka ya'll!
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Marshal Will Wingam

The finish on that one is really nice, RT. It's a good holster. I made one recently that had a blemish across the middle but it was a knock-around holster, too, so I can identify with that. Thanks for the pics.

Dalton Masterson

Heck, thats just character oozing out of it! Love it as it is!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Canelo Kid

Howdy,

Nice work from everyone! I figured I'd get some of my latest up since I'm back to my tools now.

Hope ya like 'em.  ;D
My new RV rig started:

My new Wild Bunch holster:

I guess I'd better go back and read how to insert images a tad smaller. Sorry.  :o :-\

Safe trails,
CKid
BWSS  USA #04
BCSS #40

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice work, pard. I like your basketweave. It does well on those. That's a fine Wild Bunch rig, too. Thanks for the pics. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

cowboywc

Howdy
Those are good lookin holsters.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

RollingThunder

I agree. Really nicely done. Like the Wild Bunch too1 :D
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com