Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outrider

Dalton,
Thanks for the compliments

One thing I have found is to make the front portion of the pancake about 1/4" longer than the back section.  This will give you a little pre-forming to the bocy curvature.  The other thing to watch is slot alignment.  I used to do the front slot first then the rear slot after I put the two pieces together.  With these new slot punches being so uniform I now do both and then align as I am putting the two sections together.  It seems to work out better for me.  Another nice thing about pancakes is that you can do a basic design and then retro fit to many different guns by re-aligning the stitch lines.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Dalton Masterson

Thanks for the tips Outrider! I started one for my Vaquero a year or two ago, and it got deep sixed quickly.
WIll have to try one for my 1911.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Gun Butcher

Outrider, that is a very clean looking rig and thanks for the tips on putting one together.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ace Lungger

Howdy Outrider,  :)
That is a very clean neatly done pancake holster! I beleive, I have enough on my plate at this time, and maybe someday I will try my luck at it!
Thanks for sharing!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

outrider

Dalton,

This is the one I was thinking of.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Dalton Masterson

OOOOOOH! :o I like the looks of that!
Thanks, Outrider!
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

Outrider, what a great looking holster for that auto. The basket stamping is great.

Dalton, thanks again for steering me to this forum last year, it sure has been a blessing. JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Dalton Masterson

Its been great having you here, JD! Glad you enjoy it.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

That black basketweave does look good, Outrider. The retainer is a good design to keep the hammer from falling when you don't want it to. Will that holster also allow it to be holstered with the hammer down as well?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Very nice Outrider, makes me want to run out and get a 1911, I think you have these pan cakes down to a science, Well Done Pal. ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

RollingThunder

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that 1911 is at full safety when it's cocked like that, isn't it?
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

outrider

The 1911 has two safties.  one is in the grip frame and the other is a mechanical that loaks the hammer and the slide.  That holster is designed to carry in the "cocked and locked" position.  The strap going between the hammer and the firing pin is actually a third safety..

You can also use this design to carry with the hammer down on an empty chamber.

JD...how ya feeling there pardner?  Hope all is getting back on track.  Thanks for the compliments on the pancakes...actually I started making them 30 years ago....before I did western style holsters.  Once I made a pancake for a friend who had a S&W Model 459 9mm with a trigger guard mounted laser sight...kind of bulky but it sure worked.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

cowboy316

ok guys heres a little holster i whipped up today for a small semi auto i just pullt it off a picture i had not sure what exactly it will fit but its a cute little thing made to match my belt and knife sheath LOL
enjoy guys
      Cowboy316

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the information, Outrider. that's a nice design.

Cowboy, that one looks really nice. It's a good match for the sheath.

Ace Lungger

Hody CB316,
That is a realy nice looking pancake holster!
Keep up the good work fellows!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents  :D

Just finished the Slim Jim cross draw holster to go along with the Mexican one loop I made earlier, I dyed it the same as the other , in Cowboy Coffee ( cold of course) and adorned it with brass and nickel spots and a silver concho, and finished the same as the other, this is truely one comfortable rig to wear, I can't say enough for the comfort that you get from a money/gun belt.

Hope you pards like it

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

More pictures

TW  ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

Boy that sure makes a beautiful rig, TW. Did you put any iron in the coffee to darken it? I didn't have that great success with mine. In fact, after 24 hours, the leather had hardly taken any of it at all. This color is outstanding. It's particularly suitable to this rig with the shiny accents. Good work. Thanks.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on May 09, 2009, 04:32:46 PM
Boy that sure makes a beautiful rig, TW. Did you put any iron in the coffee to darken it? I didn't have that great success with mine. In fact, after 24 hours, the leather had hardly taken any of it at all. This color is outstanding. It's particularly suitable to this rig with the shiny accents. Good work. Thanks.
Howdy Will

Thanks for the compliments, and yes I added IRON to to the Coffee, in fact I add IRON to my Coffee/Walnut/Pecan, and of course there is the Vinegaroon which is Cider Vinegar and Iron, I found just like you , that I wasn't getting much color by just using coffee or walnuts/pecans without adding some iron, by adding Iron I was able to get the deeper colors I was after in all my natural dyes, Thanks for asking, this might help others that are looking for more color in there natural dyes, just a note, this Slim Jim was in the Coffee for 20 hours this time, which was 4 hours less than the other, but it's been hotter this time so I thought a little less time would be OK, and it was.

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D

Bad Hombre

WOW!!!  Ten Wolves great rig.
Love that color...thanks for the tips!!
The money-belt  sure is  comfortable...love mine!!
Soft, distributes the weight, after awhile you forget your wearing it.
Again Great looking rig!!

BH
"Them guns ain't old son, they're experienced"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com