Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

;) :D  Well you did it again Chuck, BEAUTIFUL work Pard, your the master of making something new and making it look like it just stepped out of the 1800's, well done for sure. ::) :o 8) I'm going to have to try your 60/40 mix of Walnut dye and Vinegaroon, and see if I can com up with this color, I really like it, it has a quality about it and at the same time looks old and used , but like you say " Well Kept "

Chuck I was wondering about the concho's, because your fastening them to thinner leather, do you nip a little off the stem to get a better fit, or would that ruin the concho, the way you have them mounted they look to be very flush to the leather, I assume your using  rivet back concho's.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Wiley Desperado

Cowboy 316, you're leather caving is really looking good as well as you're over all leather working skills.

JD, pardner you can be proud of that rig it turned out really good, great job!!

Chuck, you're leather work is truely in a class all it's own everything you do is collector quality. Beautifully done!

Thanks all for sharing

Wiley

Johnny Dingus

You miss a Saturday by going and putting on a match and you miss all the posting here.

JD that is a Beautiful first set.  The color is right on.  Yeah maybe a few things you learned but real nice.  One thing I kind of do since I don't have unlimited resources.  I make a good looking brown belt that will go with a lot of differnt holsters.  Then all I have to do is make new holsters and can change them out on one belt.  I do the same for my black belt.  Now if I had more room and money..... ;)

Chuck thanks always for your postings...the pictures are always inspiring and the wisdom well it comes at the right times.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice job on that rig, JD. Good color for the design you chose. You can tell us how it performs after you get done today. I can hardly wait to see your next project.

Darn good rig, Chuck. Beautiful work. I really like your more "conventional" stuff. There's a good balance between the open leather and the accents.

Thanks for your pics, pards.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

Will, it worked just fine. I got a lot of positive feedback about it. there was only two guy who knew I was doing anything with leather, so it came as a surprise. I already have several requests for items, which I will provide for free, just to get the experience.

So thanks to you, Will, and so many others who provided their encouragement and experience with me. You guys really do pay it forward. JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Glad your rig works as you were expecting, JD. Nice that it got some attention, too. Now you're out of the starting gate. Outstanding. ;)

cowboywc

Howdy JD
That's a good lookin rig. You got nothin to hang your head about. Keep up the good work.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

JD Alan

That's very kind of you WC, I appreciate it.

One thing I've learned is to protect the face of the leather from even small marks. Once those buggers are there, you're stuck with them. I used a combo of Lexol and EVOO, then Fiebings Antique paste. It did a good job highlighting the stamping, but it also all highlighted marks I could hardly see before applying the Antique.

I thought about trying to strip it down and start over, but then I thought it would be better to leave it as reminder to do a better job guarding the leather

I'm really looking forward to my next holster project

God bless you guys!JD.   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboywc

Howdy JD
You are 100% right. Wet leather will take mark. I have to keep my fingernails cut real short. Antique stain will make them stand out even more.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ace Lungger

JD,
For your very first Rig, it is AWESOME! I think you did a excellect job, and can't see why you would be disappointed with it? Your syamping is gteat, your lay out of your holster are super, I say Congrads Jon well Done!

Chuck,
As allways AWESOME, style , color, match of the concho's to style, just a all  round Chuck Burrows  Master peice!

There sure have been a lot of nice leather goods showing up on this forum! And i think it is great, i hope you all keep the good work up, i realy injoy seeing it!

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Gun Butcher

JD, man you did good. Like chuck said every new project will have its own set of new things to learn. A man told me once that the day you dont learn something new they will be putting dirt on your head so keep learning.
Chuck , your work is beyond words. I hesitate to even try and do what you do.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

cowboy316

heres the latest 2 cell cases ive done im workin up a design as we speek for the bigger phones like the blackberry curve and others like that

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Cowboy,

Pretty Cool! I'll bet you have some very satisfied customers.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Marshal Will Wingam

Dalton Masterson

Hey, good job on those cases!!!! Lookin good.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Dr. Bob

Boy, you are the King of the cell phone holders!! ::)  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

santee

Like Ace, I tried my hand at the swivel knife. There's a few boo-boos and choppy areas on this (I tried to do some of it without my spectacles).
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Angel_Eyes

Tell me if I am reading this wrong, but is 'carving' just like line drawings on the leather, but using a swivel knife?

Or do you actually remove surface leather to get a more 3-D effect? ???

Do you use stampings for shade and effect?

AE, (who's thinking about getting more involved)
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Dalton Masterson

Angel Eyes, that is an example of Incised carving. It is just the lines cut in. It is an early style of decoration.
The normal carving you see, that is 3D, is a combination of cutting in the lines, then using the stamps to "carve" out the 3D image. No leather is actually removed, for the most part.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks pretty darn good, Santee. It looks like a lot of your lines are nice and even. Thanks for sharing with us. Be sure to post a pic when it's sewn and ready to use.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com