Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

Good looking belt, Lefty. Nice work on the border stamping and stitching. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

ChuckBurrows

I took a "busman's holiday" for Thanksgiving and built the sheath for this SW style trade knife that's been hanging around the shop. Unlike most of my knives which are collaborations (I don't/can't forge blades much these days with a bad neck and back) the entire package was made by me. This style knife and sheath can be documented as early as circa 1800 so would be appropriate for the 1807-1840's fur trade era or the later 1860-1880's Indian Wars period or any period in between.
The knife has a 7 3/4" hand made blade. The blade is thin like the originals and was converted to this style from a circa 1900 extra large Old Hickory blade. The birdshead grip is Osage Orange with a cast pewter bolster and a buffalo rawhide  wrap - all with an aged finish. OAL is 12 1/2".
The aged sheath, inspired by a couple of originals, is made of harness leather with a brain/smoke tan beaded cuff and fringe. Decoration includes period glass beads, brass tacks and beads, and tin cone tinklers. The sheath is pretty neat since it can be worn in several positions including left or right hand crossdraw in the front or in the middle of the back as seen so often in A. J Miller's prints of the mountain men.

hope ya'll enjoy the look see.........

PS I "apologize" for not offering up kudos for the really fine work so often posted here - between injuries, illness, and spending as much time as possible filling my orders I don't get much "play" time........So here's a BIG two thumbs up to the rest of ya'll  ;D  ;D  ;D
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

outrider

Lefty,

First off...welcome to the forum.  A very fine job indeed on your belt.  Looking forward to seeing more.

Chuck,  as always your work is superb....
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Johnny McCrae

Ditto what Outrider said. Many thanks for sharing your work with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Marshal Will Wingam

Well, Chuck. I think I like this knife better than any of the others you have showed us so far. I really find it a good look. As always the sheath is appropriate and impressive. Thanks for the pics. I may have to drool some more over that knife. Better still, I may have to make one. 8)

santee

I like that style of knife, Chuck. With the sheath, they compliment each other well.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

ChuckBurrows

Glad ya'll enjoyed the look see - I'm pounding away on more goodies so better get back to the shop

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on December 04, 2008, 11:27:59 AM
Well, Chuck.  Better still, I may have to make one.
Or let's make a deal  ;)  ;D  ;) it is available.....
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Irish Dave

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Beautiful Chuck  really nice work thanks for sharing Pard
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: ChuckBurrows on December 05, 2008, 01:28:55 PMOr let's make a deal  ;)  ;D  ;) it is available.....
Thanks for the offer but I'm one of those guys who likes to make things. This would be a fun project. I've been meaning to make a good knife one of these days so something like this may be a good excuse. It would be a challenge to make one as nice as yours, for sure.

Johnny McCrae

Attached are pictures of a set of Saddlebags I just finished for a fellow shooter. These are made from pre-finished Chap leather that I bought from our local Tandy store. This set was sewn inside out. This leather was pliable enough to be able to turn the bag right side out "dry". The holster and flap are two-ply to add some stiffness and body. I would estimate that the leather used here is around 5-6 oz.  I hand sewed this set. Again I used small welding clamps to hold the pieces together while sewing the gusset.

I have two more sets in process. On these I'm using unfinished 7-8 oz. cowhide for all of the parts except the gusset which is around 5 oz. leather. Since this leather is stiffer, I may have to turn these bags right side out "wet". I have a local shoemaker who is sewing the front and back panels to the gusset for me on these sets.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/saddlebags/100_0970.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/saddlebags/100_0971.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/saddlebags/100_0973.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/saddlebags/000_0936.jpg
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

Hey Johnny, that's really nice work. The whole thing looks great. Sewing is the hardest thing I'm dealing with at this point. I have clamps like that, but it seems like they would get in the way of the stitching. For a "green guy" like me, could you explain a little more how you use those clamps? Thanks very much, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Rayban

Go for it Marshall Will...I started dabbling in it about a year ago...let me warn ya...it's addictive...here's one I'm working on now....
If I can do it, anybody can!! ;D

[Lost link deleted by moderator]

Rayban

Johnny, nice job on a very cool idea. I take it this type of rig is very useful among you shootists??

Marshal Will Wingam

Good work, Johnny. Those really look nice. I like the rich color on them. Welding clamps seem like a good idea. I may have to rob my toolbox and give them a try. Thanks for the pics.

Cool knife, Rayban. Be sure to post a picture of it when it's done.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny

Great looking bags pard, and a really good idea, they look like they were done professionaly, WELL DONE..  ::) 8)

Hello  Rayban

Looks like you have knife a in the makings, I made one last year and enjoyed the process, it's fun to see it all come together, I look forward to seeing the finished knife. :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D                                                     
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

santee

Johnny, those came out real nice. Did you have to dye the leather or was it that rich color to begin with?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Boys,

Many thanks for all of your kind words.

JD, I sent you a PM on the use of clamps and stitching.

Santee, This was pre-finished leather that I bought from my local Tandy store. I was lazy this time.

Wiley Desperado

Howdy, Haven't been on this site in awhile and this is my first post in the leather shop.  Just finished this project I used the Will Ghormley pattern for Cheyenne Holsters.       

Dr. Bob

Wiley,

That's a mighty fine looking rig that you made there!!  Thanks for sharing it with us.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com