NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Ace Lungger

Howdy Fellows!!
Marshall Will, did youu let that holster sit in the sun? My Pecan is twice that dark? The only way I could get that light of pecan color would be to do a 6-8 hr, treatment and then pull it out! I was just wondering how you got it that light?? ???

TW, Anothe fine piece of art work from you!! I thank you for showing me those picks, so when I redo mine I know how I am going to do it!

later ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on September 09, 2008, 11:14:12 AMMarshal, I think the pecan color came out real nice, and the border trim really adds a schnazzy look to it, you do very well when picking out your border tools.
Thanks, TW.

Quote from: Ace Lungger on September 09, 2008, 08:01:45 PMMarshall Will, did youu let that holster sit in the sun? My Pecan is twice that dark? The only way I could get that light of pecan color would be to do a 6-8 hr, treatment and then pull it out! I was just wondering how you got it that light?? ???
It's a mystery to me, too. It was in the dye for 20 hours and then an hour in the sun. I like the color, but it sure wasn't what I expected. The test piece was way darker and it was only in the dye for 5 or 6 hours. There have been times when I couldn't get that color no matter what I did. Got two gallons of it, too. I'm stoked.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Don101

Quote from: Johnny Dingus on September 08, 2008, 07:03:01 PM
Beutiful holster Marshall W,  like the Remington too.  Like the border design also.  Can't wait to see the full rig.

Don Nice holster also really like that belt style.  Did you hand stich all those bullet loops?

Johnny Dingus

thanks guys yes Johnny the whole rig is hand stiched,
will as usual a fine holster and i love the color, Don

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Marshall Will,
Beautiful job on your Remington Holster! Thats a great design and finish. I like the way you have integrated the stamps and borders. Excellent workmanship. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Howdy Ten Wolves,
Beautiful job on your Sharps Butt Cover! I love the finishes you put on your work. You did a good job of padding this cover and should feel very little recoil if any at all. Thank you for sharing this with us.

As I've said before, this forum is a tremendous resource for ideas, methods, inspiration and most important... Encouragement.
Many thanks to Marshall Will for a great job in moderating this forum.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny McCrae  :D ;D

Thanks for the kind words Pard, and thanks for sharing your rifle butt cover with us , this is what pushed me to give it a try, and I'm really happy I did,being able to add a sizable amount of cushion to the butt and have it stay firm and stable is a good trick, and this method did that ,and allowed me to get the 15 1/2" trigger pull I needed, I think this rifle stock cover will last a long time, and I can pass it down when I can no longer shoot, but that will be a really looooooooong time from now ( LOL ) ( imho ) ( LOL ) I HOPE , anyway I really like your method and I'll use it again on my other rifle stocks that need a longer trigger pull. 8) go to page 45 on Show your stuff to see Johnny's how to's.

Thanks again Pal  :D ;D ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

MW, I have never seen it turn light like that! But I don't use the Sun, and mine allways gets darker after treatment! My treaments are not like a lot of what you pards do, my treatment is a bascisly like WG. does, not exaclty!
  I am in shock :o :o, that is 10X lighter than my pecan, the color you got I would get with a dip and dunk! When did it change colors, during treatment, during the time it was in the sun?
MW, if you can give me any details , I would be great full, I want to firgure this out, and see how it could of done that? When you were treating it, I understand that there are ways different than I do, I think most of you guys treat the inside, and then do your sewing, and then you dye it. Where I case, stamp, treat the inside, when that is dry, I grind the outer edges and glue, after the glue has dryed, I sand the edges, adjust my stitch groover put on my back groove sew, and then dye it.
MW let me know, if get came out that color or when did get change?
thanks
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Ace, that's what it looked like after an hour in the sun, rotating it so it wouldn't be dark on only one side. The parts that didn't get any sun, like right under the belt strap is really light. That's OK, I've never been able to get a good light brown like this. I'm happy with it. I would imagine your brew is stronger than mine. I thought about reducing it more, but I like this color anyway. Remember, this is a very different piece of leather than the scrap and it didn't take the dye as well.

Ace Lungger

:)Good Morining Pards!
MW, I cook all the pecans I can get in to my 2 small hands cuped toghter, put those in a 3lb coffee can and boil for 20-30 mins, then I turn the temp to 3 (7 being the highest) with a lid on and let cook 8 hours, turn it off, the next morning I wil have to add about 10oz of water and do it the same way! the next day it is done! Thank makes a 2 litle bottle full, i have used the same batch of pecans i started with, and i have 4 gallons! If I can help in any way, please feel free to ask!!! You guys have done so much for me, i will not and cannot every pay you all back!

ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

kid sheleen

Beautiful work Marshal Will!  I love the border and the colors phenominal!  I just aquired a Remington myself and I may borrow that holster design if you don't mind.  Maybe a little different border using a small meander stamp with the rosette but still, I really like it!  I've got a pecan tree in the backyard, guess I'll have to pay the neighbor kid to pick up some for me!

Here's my latest just finished this am for a friend of mine.  Pics aren't too good but someday I'll spring for a better digital camera.
kid
www.circlemleather.com

Johnny Dingus

Kid, Nice looking Holsters.  Can't quite see if they are carved or if it is the texture of the leather you used.  Yeah camera's are a tool.

You guys have patience.  I get one holster done and I want to post it most of you wait till you get all of them done and then post the set.

Johnny Dingus

Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Kid  :o ::) ;D

Wow nice rig, this would be suitable as a BBQ Rig, Sunday go ta meeten in such, but really I like this style, it's got the BLING, without being gaudy, and pearl handled grips Pard this is the finishing touch, a pard can wear a rig like this just about with anything and look good. You did a nice job of carving also, the picture doesn't show it off like it should, but that could be because of it being black, darker colors never show off the tooling or carving like the lighter colors, but from what I can see it looks rich and classy. WELL DONE , and thanks letting us have look see.  ::) :o :D ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

AWESOME Rig Kid!
Realy looks good, i wished we all could learn how to post pic's like a lot of pards do, so we can see a pic picture!
i would of like to seen the stamping ect.
KS, still it is super1
Later ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice work, Kid. I like the black as a contrast to the spots. 10W summed it up nicely: it has bling. If you get a better camera, a nice close-up of one of those holsters would be nice. Thanks for posting the pics.

Quote from: kid sheleen on September 11, 2008, 03:43:43 PMBeautiful work Marshal Will!  I love the border and the colors phenominal!  I just aquired a Remington myself and I may borrow that holster design if you don't mind.  Maybe a little different border using a small meander stamp with the rosette but still, I really like it!  I've got a pecan tree in the backyard, guess I'll have to pay the neighbor kid to pick up some for me!
Thanks. I'm honored that you like it enough to want to make something similar. Of course I don't mind you borrowing the design because I did just that myself. Page 95 in Packing Iron shows the holster that got me fired up in the first place. As to the color, remember to get the pecans with the hulls on them like Ace sent me.

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Kid.

Beautiful job on that two gun rig! Eye catching and attractive! Your friend will be very proud to wear it. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

kid sheleen

As to the color, remember to get the pecans with the hulls on them like Ace sent me.
[/quote]

I wonder if just the hulls would do?  Does anybody know?  I was walkin' the dog the other day and a squirrel decided he didn't like me under his pecan tree and started throwing hulls at me while I was waitin'.  I have plenty of them! :D

Yeah, I REALLY need a better camera, 'cause you can't see the classic floral pattern carving and the true color is dark mahogany, almost black cherry colored. :)
kid
www.circlemleather.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: kid sheleen on September 12, 2008, 08:33:02 AMI wonder if just the hulls would do?  Does anybody know?  I was walkin' the dog the other day and a squirrel decided he didn't like me under his pecan tree and started throwing hulls at me while I was waitin'.  I have plenty of them! :D
I think it would probably work fine. For walnuts, you use just the hulls. They seem to have the highest concentration of pigment. For proof, just pick up a bunch of walnuts without gloves. :o

kid sheleen

Thanks for the tip, Marshal.  I know about the walnuts, we used to pick 'em when I was a yonker.  Speaking of squirrels, did I ever tel you fellas 'bout the time I went squirrel huntin' with.........never mind. ;D
kid
www.circlemleather.com

kid sheleen

OK Amigos, I had never tried figure carving before so I thought I'd try it for a buscadero rig for the B-Western catagory in SASS.  Here's the left side of the belt.  I've been working on it off and on for about 6 weeks, in between other stuff.  Any suggestions before I go too far? :)
kid
www.circlemleather.com

cowboywc

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com