Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

This morning, I finished up the Frazier holster I've been working on for Wild Bunch matches. This was one day in the walnut dye. It came out nice and even, but as it dried, it left light areas where the strap connected with the rest of it. Any ideas why this happened? I actually like it, but would like to get that effect when I choose, not when it wants. ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Gun Butcher

I have seen that happen before Marshall but I'm at a loss as to why. Its almost as though the top piece leeches the color out of the bottom.  However, it is beautiful work very clean lines and the stitching is outstanding. I'm gonna have to get me one of those so I can build something for it.  GB
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

outrider

seems we are all on a 1911 kick lately...great work there Marshal.  When I first saw this type holster in PI I really didn't like the deep recurve.  But on this one it looks kind of nice.  Maybe I will do one and just do a little mod to it ;D ;D ;D ::)
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

;) :D 8) Hello Marshal, I like your holster, nice design and well put together, I answered your question about the light spots on the other post ,( testing natural walnut dye ).

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: outrider on August 11, 2008, 01:54:10 PMseems we are all on a 1911 kick lately...great work there Marshal.  When I first saw this type holster in PI I really didn't like the deep recurve.  But on this one it looks kind of nice.  Maybe I will do one and just do a little mod to it ;D ;D ;D ::)
When I started making it, I thought about that deep recurve and thought, "What's that all about?" but made it anyway since it was one of the main characteristics of that holster. Having tried it out, I know why. When you draw, you put your forefinger straight out and it rests mostly on the pistol. as you draw, there's no drag on the holster from your finger and the gun slips right out with more control than if you were pulling it with your three fingers only. As you point the pistol, your finger is already in position to slip onto the trigger. Darn functional design.

Thanks for the post, 10W, I'll go check the other thread.

Don101

Hi Will that holster has turned out a dream, and i like the light color too the stitching is great,
did you put in a welt at the top of the main seam? i found that if the holster is to tight and there is presure on the mag release button it can pop the mag some times, Don

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on August 11, 2008, 12:02:24 PM
This morning, I finished up the Frazier holster I've been working on for Wild Bunch matches. This was one day in the walnut dye. It came out nice and even, but as it dried, it left light areas where the strap connected with the rest of it. Any ideas why this happened? I actually like it, but would like to get that effect when I choose, not when it wants. ;D

Marshall Will,
For the life a me I can't find anything wrong with that holster. The border is perfect, stitching, color, shape,etc...

And I can be derned picky sometimes, too! ::)

Real nice work. Keep it up!

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Don101 on August 12, 2008, 03:12:58 AMHi Will that holster has turned out a dream, and i like the light color too the stitching is great, did you put in a welt at the top of the main seam? i found that if the holster is to tight and there is presure on the mag release button it can pop the mag some times, Don
No welt, but thanks for the heads-up. I'll watch that and correct it if need be.

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: HorsePen Henry on August 12, 2008, 06:44:43 AMFor the life a me I can't find anything wrong with that holster. The border is perfect, stitching, color, shape,etc...

And I can be derned picky sometimes, too! ::)

Real nice work. Keep it up!
Thanks. I guess we really are our own harshest critics.

I have the second Frazier holster finished. Well, maybe. I did exactly the same as I did with the other one. It was in the walnut dye an additional 6 hours, not enough to make any difference, but I got tired of waiting. It's all finished now, except for oiling. Then I got inspired by Chuck's latest project pics and thought it might be interesting to see what would happen if I threw it in some cowboy coffee to give it a slightly different shade.

I broke out some fresh beans: genuine San Francisco Bay brand 100% shade-grown USDA certified organic Rainforest Blend (a superlative blend of the finest Arabica coffee from Columbia, Mexico, Guatemala and Indonesia), flavor guaranteed, priced to pay for the beautiful label, and started grinding. Don't get me wrong, I don't drink the stuff. I bought it thinking it would be great, but I wasn't impressed. Folgers is much better. This has been sitting around for a while waiting for the right person to dump it on (no pun intended) (well, OK, pun intended). Rather than waste it, I ground the whole thing and put about a pound of it in a gallon or so of water. It boiled for 1 ½ hours, until the pan started popping because of the grounds lying waterlogged on the bottom inhibiting the bubbling action. After it cools, I'll try a scrap of leather in it and see what it does overnight. Then, if it looks good, I'll do the whole holster. If it's too wimpy, I'll strain it off and boil the other pound or so in the same brew. Any of you experienced coffee dyers, feel free to chime in with any suggestions and advice. At any rate, if the coffee works right, I'll have a different look when I'm done. Time will tell, I guess.

Kid Cavalier

Try putting your gounds in a cheesecloth bag. That should prevent the popping of the grounds on the bottom of the pan.(suspend the bag so it doesn't touch the bottom)
This will allow a longer simmer time that will give you a darker color.
I have always used generic dark roast coffee.

Kid
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, Kid. I'll do that. How long do you simmer it?

Kid Cavalier

I'll let it stew until I start smelling that burnt coffee aroma.
I use a whole pound bag of fine ground dark roast.
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Marshal Will Wingam

Sounds like I'm there. It spent the last half hour smelling like I'd burnt it. Thanks. I'll test it.

HorsePen Henry

Marshall Will,

Anytime I hear someone say,"Watch this!" I always naturally look that direction. I am interested in watching what you experimenters come up with. Be sure to show pix. All of ya sure are a lot a fun. ;D
I am bettin' on a nice dark brown color.

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Ace Lungger

:)Howdy Fellows,
I guess maybe one of the reason i feel at home on this forum is i am kinda like you all are, I like to play! The otherday, I pickup a small handfull of little green pecans, put them in a coffee can with a cup of water, turn on the burner on high and let those little babies boil for 10 minutes, there wasn't much water so they boiled fast, and then I turned it off and put 2 cup more water in it and let it sit, i forgot about for about 5 days, and I look at the water and man it was getting dark!! I put a small scrap in for 24 hours and pulled it, it came out greyis and brown, the scrap I put in was real light colored  let it dry and put some EVOO and looked, not to bad of color!! So I am going to get a couple more hand fulls and put in there with another 2 cups of water and cook it a couple times and I will let you know how it looks!

Later, Have a good Day
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents

Kid, Marshal Will, and ace, I'm looking forward to seeing what you pards come up with, I'm like HorsePen I like seeing new things, it stirs my thinking process.  ::) ??? :o :-\ 8)

Four Clicks to ya All  ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Don101

well this is a job im doing at the moment for a friend of mine that is quite tall so ive extended the boot tops by adding a stiched brown piece with scalloped lining its an awquard task to line everything up and you have to open the boots half way down the seams and then restitch by hand,  Don

santee

Cool, Don. What thickness leather did you use?

Marshall, did the coffee add any decent color yet?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

HorsePen Henry

Howdy Don,

I like the way you cut the lining into tiny scallops and let them peek over the top of the boot. All around very fine and professional looking job.

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice work, Don. I like the finishing touches on the top and botom edges. Very attractive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com