Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Branding Iron Bill

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on August 01, 2008, 09:24:21 PM
That looks great, Outrider. I like the idea of putting a partial mainseam filler in it. That would make a good fit for sure. It looks good in that color, too. The bullet pouch is a fine one. EVOO makes a good finish. Thanks for the pics.

Marshal. at the risk of sounding dumb and uninformed, just what exactly is EVOO?  I use mostly textan antique saddle tan paste followed by super sheen, and am more than satisfied with it's results.  Very simple and basic I guess.  I like the way the super sheen enhances the look of the finished product.  It reminds me a lot of neatlac which we used back in junior high school shop back in the 50's.  That was about the only option we had back then.

Patrick
Patrick  D.
AKA Branding Iron Bill SASS 2019
6th generation son of the Texas Republic since 1824
USFA CSS
SCORRS
RATS
A proud Henry owner.
STORM (Love my R-M 44's)

Kid Cavalier

KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Dr. Bob

BI Bill,

Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  Puzzled me at first too.

Kid,

That is simply gorgeous!  I really like the balance between the carved area and the background.  WOW!! ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Branding Iron Bill

Patrick  D.
AKA Branding Iron Bill SASS 2019
6th generation son of the Texas Republic since 1824
USFA CSS
SCORRS
RATS
A proud Henry owner.
STORM (Love my R-M 44's)

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Kid

We haven't seen you around the forum in some time , it's good to have you back , and your new rig is awesome, your use of stamps is awesome too, everytime I see your work, even though it has always been great, it seems a notch higher than the one before, I don't know how you manage to do that but you do , and your tooling is almost too perfect, Well done Pard... ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Doggone nice rig, Kid. I also like the balance between background and design. So often we get all wrapped up in filling all the space with something. That's just right. Regarding the border stamp on the belt, I have one like that and never figured out a good use for it. Now I know. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ace Lungger

:)howdy Kid, AWESOME RIG :o Super layout on your carving and your borders complement's the complete rig !
Super Good looking!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dalton Masterson

SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny Dingus

Love the two tone effect with the backgrounding picking up a darker color.

The holster as all of yours are awsome!!  The belt looks to match perfectly.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Kid Cavalier

Thanks folks,

A little background...

I've been looking to improve my carving skills.
I do not think much of most floral patterns for holsters.
I have always been fascinated by gun engraving.
I bought books and borrowed others to learn how to lay out scroll patterns.
After copying Nimschke for earlier holsters. I decided to do an original.

This is my take on a Cheyenne pattern holster with an American Scroll pattern carved into the holster.

The border stamp on the holster and the belt were made by Robert Beard.

These "Engraved Rigs" of mine tend to be award prizes for Cowboy friendly charities and a few pards.
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Kid,

Very nice! You have created a real work of art. Look forward to seeing your future projects. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Irish Dave

Very nice piece, Kid. Very nice, indeed. Like the scrollwork very much.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

HorsePen Henry

Kid Cav, that's a beautiful rig all the way around. Carving, stamping, color, and finish. I have been wondering where I could get a stamp like the border stamp you used on the belt. The one that looks like a c scroll with a shell inside it. Which tool name and number is that from Beard?

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Don101

Kid Cav nice rig i admired this rig on the leatherworkers net i just love the scrollwork, Don

Kid Cavalier

Quote from: HorsePen Henry on August 03, 2008, 04:32:20 PM
Kid Cav, that's a beautiful rig all the way around. Carving, stamping, color, and finish. I have been wondering where I could get a stamp like the border stamp you used on the belt. The one that looks like a c scroll with a shell inside it. Which tool name and number is that from Beard?

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen

HorsePen,
The stamp is called "Ram's Curl".  Bob only makes it in one size. Be prepared for sticker shock if you aren't familiar with Beard's tools.
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

HorsePen Henry

Thanks Kid Cav,

I spent money on worse and wasted it besides. ;D

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

ChuckBurrows

Another pouch bites the dust  - the Plainsman/Frontiersman rigs are one of my most popular items and some of the funnest to make - this ones on it's way to Sweden - thought ya'll liked to take a look see of all sides this time....

This one is buffalo hide lined with German Tan aka imitation braintan - all well aged - the color by the way is not walnut - anyone care to venture a guess - it is a common food household item - starts with a "c'
no fair Horsepen - you already know ya ole coon you......... ;)

Oh yeah the pouch goes along with this gunrig the gent picked up last year.......

!..........right now though I've got a tomahawk with beaded drop and two beaded sheaths with custom knives to get done so not much gunrig/cowhand stuff for a little while although I'm back on my feet and spending mucho hours in the shop doing catch-up....

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Dr. Bob

CB,

GREAT looking pouch.  I like the carving on the tabs for the pouch straps on the back!  Boy howdy,  ya sure did put a ton of spots on the gun rig!  Small tacks??  All so evenly spaced.  Looks like you done laid it out with a laser! :o :D ;D  VERY impressive!

SWAG: coco butter??
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Kid Cavalier

KID CAVALIER