Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

You did a fine job, Ace. Nice work. I like the use of spots on it. I agree on the lining. I can see why your buddy was pleased. Keep 'em coming. Great progress. Your first 500 pieces will be out the door in no time.  ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ace Lungger

Thanks for the kuddo's  :) Johny and Tw you are right on that the corners should of been rounded ??? But there wasn't any way to burnish the belt, that leather was gave to me, I was told it was Buffalo, but it is chromed tanned and streches, the lining is a vinyl car uplostry, and i did that to help with the strech, it started off 5" wide bye 5foot long, placed on a piece of 1/2" ply would stamped down and streched to the max! then it was out in the sun for 10 hours, and the staples were removed and streched and re stapled and then 10 more houres in the sun! Then it was cut to size glued to the leather that was stapled and streched, then i went to my 1920 dressmaker rotary maching, that i have put a hand crank on and sewed it up.
If I was to do another one i would round the corners! one reason I made it as strong as i could, his pitol is a stainless Black Hawk that weight 10lbs :o ;D :)
I One I am working on know will smoke that one I hope! Hey Johny, he is a south paw!!
Thanks again for the kind words!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Johnny McCrae

Great job ACE!

Like your design and your use of spots. Keep em coming. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Irish Dave

Gettin' better all the time, Ace. Keep after it.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

cowboywc

Howdy Ace
Keep up the good work....
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ace Lungger

:)It does my heart good that you guys feel i am improving ??? I don't want to get in a rut making the same thin over and over, but to get better you have to make as many rigs you can afford to make. It is self helpfull when you think that  that you are improveing!

Thanks again for the kind words!!
And I hope to see more from you guys, you are my inspiration to keep me going on!!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Johnny Dingus

Well the more you make the more you want to make.

After shooting with my Dodge City holsters last month and them working out so well I decided to make some brown holsters with the same holster part but different.  I want to be able to draw and reholster like the dodge city holsters but have a different look.

So now my problem is as soon as I get one set of holsters done or about done I am thinking of making another set and how they will be different from the ones I am working on now.

I am going to be one broke leather worker with all the stuff I want to make.

Well so here is my latest holsters.  Like the dodge city but different.  The pockets where the guns reside are the same.

Hope you guys like these.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Marshal Will Wingam

Those look good, Johnny. Simple border, concho, full skirt. Nice balanced loooking holsters. Good color on them, too. Now you're makin' your own patterns. That's what this is all about. We don't have a "thumbs up" icon, but if we did, I'd post it here. Thanks for the ;ics.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny

Will I have to agree with Marshal Will, you did a nice neat job, your placement of the loop looks right on , and the concho looks good too, your border tooling is right on the money and lined up properly, it's a nice shade of brown, and you should be able to use it with any color brown belt, it will make a nice contrast.
     Once you get going in leather, it's hard to stop, and your work will only get better with everything do, this is one of those crafts thats good to be hooked on.

Take care Johnny , and I look forward to seeing your next project  ??? :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny Dingus

Thanks guys for the kind remarks.

If you look both holsters have the same border but could have been made by two different people.  Though they weren't.  The borders are the same but different and I used a backgrounder (I think that is what it is called) outside the border on the left side holster.

Now I need to make some period holster too.  Have some of Will's paterns now that tandy had a sale so could do those.  I also have his Black Canyon pattern and I grew up in the 50's with Hoppy, Gene and Roy...

It is addicting.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Ace Lungger

Johnny,
Not much else I can ad to what MW, & TW said! Nice loking holsters!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

santee

Good looking work, guys! Everybody is really putting out some unique stuff!
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

HorsePen Henry

Hidy boys,

I would have to agree with Santee. I am excited about the progress that the beginners are a making. Ya won't be beginners for very long as hard as you boys are a workin' at it. Keep up the good work fellas and don't ferget ta have fun experimenting. Lookin' forward to more pictures. I surely enjoy this forum, "Leather Shop".

My hat is off to every one of ya,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

cowboywc

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

outrider

Howdy Pards,

I have re-designed the 1911 .45 holster slightly.  Since, it is lined (pigskin) and since the first prototype was a little tight I increased the size of the template and then added a 1/2 mainseam filler.  The 1911 now slides in and out of the second holster without any type of wet casing.  I also used a different stamp on this one and opted not to add the concho (can always be added later).  The finish is mahagony

I have also re-designed the flap and the back on the belt bullet pouch that I had done at x-mas time.  The original pouches had a two piece flap and back.  I have now incorporated them into one piece.  Finish is EVOO

Dalton...I will try to draw up the templates on the pistol caddy tomorrow.  Give me your addy in an e-mail and I will try to get it to you next week
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Forty Rod

Now that's my kind of 1911 holster, Outrider.  Looks just like what I'd use for mine.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I agree with Forty Rod, nice work Outrider, all around. ;D 8)

TW  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks great, Outrider. I like the idea of putting a partial mainseam filler in it. That would make a good fit for sure. It looks good in that color, too. The bullet pouch is a fine one. EVOO makes a good finish. Thanks for the pics.

santee

Nice! It would appear 1911 holsters are the rage. Maybe I'll make one for my brother...
Love the mohagany!
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ace Lungger

:)Outrider, those are beautifull, love both colors, realy like the 45 holster, i like the way you can lay your trigger fringer on the holster and when you draw your fringer will drop right in the trigger gaurd!!

Latter
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com