Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Kid

Nice work pard, I really like your holster , it has just the right touch of stamping/tooling, it looks real classy, and the color is nice too , is this holster lined , it kinda looks like it from the picture, you're sure too get some looks when wearing this one.
     Your Neice is sure to like the purse you made for her , i'm not a purse man but this looks good, again your carving and stamping are right on, well done pard. ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

cowboywc

Howdy Kid
That's good lookin work. They'll be happy with those.
By the way, it's never too early for Bourbon......... ;D
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

Good rig, Kid. Good, clean lines and good execution. I like the matching hatband, too. The purse is really nice. She should be tickled with that. What a fine gift.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ace Lungger

:)Howdy Kid,
AWESOME work, love the rig and the color, it is a little to glossy for me, BUT it is your rig and not evryone will like certain things, but the style and the color, JUST SMOKIN :) :) The purse mind blowing for me, I am 10 years away from reaching out to  making something like that!
I am very great full that you have shared them with us! That is how I get a lot of idea's!

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

HorsePen Henry

That rig finished up real nice, Kid. I like the huntin' bag too. She can always use that for her C&B revolver reloading equipment. ;D

If ya don't mind me askin'....how did ya arrive at that finish and color on the rig and hatband? Inquiring minds gotta know!!!

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Kid,

Beautiful work! Many thanks for sharing this with us. Look forward to seeing your future projects.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

kid sheleen

Thanks for the kind words guys!

yeah, ten wolves, its' lined with 4/5 oz cowhide that had been tanned almost white.  when I put the finish to it it came out a little lighter than the outside, and gave the holster a two-tone look.  I kinda liked it.

Horsepen, I hesitate to tell you about the finish on accounta it's so easy.  It's fiebings paste antique leather stain in British Tan, two coats, and topped with fiebings resolene.  The stain isn't entirely waterproof but the resolene seals it.

The only problem I had with this one was when I dipped it in water for about 30 seconds and put the pistol in a plastic bag to seat it in the holster the stamping stretched out and is not as crisp as it was before.  I've had this problem with import leather but never with grade A stuff, and this was a nice choice piece.  Any ideas?
kid
www.circlemleather.com

Marshal Will Wingam

To wet mold holsters, I seldom dip them for more than about 5 seconds. They're malleable for a good 5 minutes before they start to stiffen up again and the design never raises back up. Of course, if the leather is going to stretch where the design is, it will take its toll some no matter what the degree of wetness.

ChuckBurrows

Some mighty fine work going on here! Congrats to all....

I just finished this one today - no income for almost a month is a big incentive to get things done! (still hobbling but finally motivating) ;)
These cap and ball frontiersman/plainsman style rigs are my favorites - I get to do a little bit of everything........

for those who've expressed interest in beadwork keep a weather eye out - as soon as I get a breather I'll make a post with some info..........

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Marshal Will Wingam

Holy Shamoley, Chuck. I think you outdid yourself again. I love that possibles bag. The beadwork is really outstanding and the way it's held onto the belt is nice. What are those buttons made of? They really look nice. I like the way you put the fringe on the holster, too. It helps tie it all together. Thanks for sharing.

santee

Quote from: kid sheleen on July 21, 2008, 11:11:50 AM
:D  OOPS! Forgot the pics!  Can't blame it on the bourbon, too early in the day.  
When exactly is "Too early in the day"?  :)
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

kid sheleen

Quote from: santee on July 22, 2008, 09:36:37 AM
When exactly is "Too early in the day"?  :)
Anytime before ten AM, I've only had two or three by then and that's not near enuff! ;D

NICE work Chuck!  I agree with marshal W on the everything he said.  That's downright pure artwork! :o
kid
www.circlemleather.com

ChuckBurrows

Glad ya'll enjoyed the look see and thanks for the compliments - always a nice way to start the day.... ;D

The buttons are slab cut antler (eitehr elk or red deer) - instead of cutting across the antler and exposing the core these are length wise slices of only the outer bark - I then shape to size, drill and chamfer the holes, and then soak them in leather dye (these were dyed in Fiebings Russet). Once dry I buff back to the color/look I want.
aka Nolan Sackett

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

:D ;D ;D Beautiful Stuff Chuck, thanks for letting us have a looky loo, it sounds like you're feeling better, thats good news. :D ;D

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

:o :o :o :o :o
:) CB, you allways do outstanding work, and that is why you can make a living doing it!! I am glad to see that you are healing, even though it is slow at least you are getting around some!!
That is the closest to being period correct (that I have seen) I realy like the way you over layed the top part of the holster with a peice of flesh side side out! It shows as if a mountain man made his rig to go out in world, but shows the craftmanship that you allways give! :)

A pure peice of a ART you have there, Thank you so much for sharing that with us!

ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: ChuckBurrows on July 22, 2008, 03:36:14 PMThe buttons are slab cut antler (eitehr elk or red deer) - instead of cutting across the antler and exposing the core these are length wise slices of only the outer bark - I then shape to size, drill and chamfer the holes, and then soak them in leather dye (these were dyed in Fiebings Russet). Once dry I buff back to the color/look I want.
Thanks, pard. I was wondering. They are a nice look.

ChuckBurrows

QuoteI realy like the way you over layed the top part of the holster with a peice of flesh side side out!
Ace that's braintan buckskin which doesn't have a smooth grain side - it's removed during the processing. To learn more about braintan check out www.braintan.com...

A good (and less expensive substitute) is chamois aka German tan aka imitation braintan - it's available from Fox Valley Leather or Crazy Crow.....
aka Nolan Sackett

Ace Lungger

:) Thanks Chuck, I have a friend that says he is going to brain tan a lot of deer hides this season, his cousin owns the local locker plant, so he gets all the free deer hides he wants. He has been going up everytime they kill hogs and getting the brains and doing what ever you do. I sure love the orginality of that last outfit you posted! I hate to ask this and if you do not want to answer i work be upset any, because this is home you make your living!!! Did you line the holster with that buckskin, or just a top overlay?
Thanks for the reply!! :)
Ace
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Johnny McCrae

Chuck, I always enjoy looking at your work. Its like going to an Art Gallery in a Western Museum.

We appreciate your sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Don101

Just finished this hunting bag for a friend of mine, Don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com