Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards,
Seemed Like it took me a life time, but I am almost done with the rig! Havn't put on the bottom metal, still not happy with what I have found! Might leave them the way they are!
     Here it is!

I see you guys carve or super cool stamp a rig out in a day, and I thinking how in world do they do that? I think that this is my nicest yet I give a lot of thought to it, plus help from the wife and TW on design! I will try to do better on my next rig, it most likely will take me longer than this one! I learn from you pards and then by doing! This was made out of scrap veg tanned leather 11oz, the buckle and tounge 50 cent gararge sale! Someday , since I have bought some none scrap leather, I will make one out of good stuff! Far cheaper to to practice on scrap that store bought! The dye is from TW homebrew deep brown, the finish is, Beeswax and Olive Oil, then when it dyed, I put a light coat of pure neats foot oil!
Thanks for looking
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

HorsePen Henry

You guys have been busy. Santee, that holster turned out real nice. I like the warm color of brown and the stamping is placed accurately. I am partial to spots on leather wok but have not done any as of yet. Nice job.

Ace, your double rig looks real good. Your work is coming along just fine in my opinion. I think the design is a well balanced one and turned out real fine. I don't think it really needs the holster rings but I guess you can save that for another time as you find them. Keep up the good work!!! I'm eager to see yer Dodge City holsters. What kind of guns are you expecting to get for that rig?

Cheers,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Ace Lungger

HP,
I am going to get rid of my cartridge 44's and i am going to buy a pair of 1851 Navy US Marshalls in 44 C.B. go to Cabela's and look at them. I just feel in love with those the minute i saw them! i have never shoot C.B. but I can learn, and no more shoots that I go to, I won't be shooting them very much, i like shooting my Taylor 72's 4 3/4" barrels 38's and they are point and shoot. They make conversions for the 51's but i don't think i would spend the money! I wished I would of got into this 20 years ago!
Thanks for the kind words HP!

ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy ACE

Will Pard, it was worth the wait , it came out beautiful, and like you said I think it's the best yet, the color is beautiful and your choice of stamps for the holster and bordering really complement each other, and it looks great just the way it is , it doesn't really need the metal cups at the bottom, but who knows maybe you'll fine something down the road that you really like , and then make another one , or maybe you could even put them on these. The leather looks natural and rich, you did a good job with your finish , I'm VERY PROUD OF YOU PAL. ::) :o ;) :D 8) ;D

Keep it coming Pard  ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

ACE, send me these pictures to my reg. e-mail address, i want to put them in my CAS SCRAP BOOK , If you don't mind                                 
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

HorsePen Henry

Ace, you deserve them. You doing good work. Say....if ya haven't shot cap n ball revolvers before, you'll have a blast with them. Literally, they are a hoot. Be sure to get snug fitting caps and grease over the balls. Or ...grease wads under the balls. You'll do fine!!! I still need ta get down there and see ya one a these days.

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

santee

Thanks for the input, guys.  :D
ACE, that looks terrific! Great job (I like the cartridge belt, too).
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Dalton Masterson

Ace, I gotta say that is a fine looking rig!! You should be proud! It looks like all this information you have been gleaning is starting to come out and make itself useful. Good job!!! Wont be long now and you will be posting photos every other day of your newest rigs.

Santee, yours looks pretty good. If you want to lighten it up and distress it at the same time, use some 400 or 600 grit sandpaper or emery and LIGHTLY go over the top, highlighting any edges, scars, etc. Make sure your gun is in it when you do it, but dont scratch your gun. Just remember that this will scratch up your top finish, and may take several times of sanding and topcoating to get what you want.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ace Lungger

:)I what to thank each and everyone on this forum!!!! :) :) I would still be on my second holster if it hadn't of been for the kindess people in the world :o 8) A person would have to read day and night for months, to get the info a person can get herte in one day!
I must admit I am ate up with the leather crafting, I think what I like the best is that you can look threw the Packing Iron Book and see something you like and make it, or see something you like but want to change it! And if you don't know, how to do something, just ask, and there will be someoe tell you! I am trying to trade a guitar amp for a amll vertial mill, if I get it, I will be able to make some stamps that you can't buy! Anyone that wants to come down and visit, i have a 24foot fully self contained with heat and air frig, cook stove  and bath room with shower, come on down!

Most likely, I have a few gun belts that I need to make nice sellable rigs, when I get those done and a few other projects, i am going to make another give awaygig made out of med brown Buffalo.
Better go
Thanks for the kind words
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Curley Cole

Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Johnny McCrae

Santee,
Thats a beautiful holster! It sure looks like a holster you would see on the pages of "Packing Iron" I like the design and how it fits around the trigger guard.

Ace,
I certainly echo all of the other Pard's sentiments. That is a great rig and you can be very proud of your work. You have come a long way. Your enthusiasm, persistence and attitude is an inspiration to us all.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Pitspitr

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on June 19, 2008, 07:47:10 AM
That is a great rig and you can be very proud of your work. You have come a long way. Your enthusiasm, persistence and attitude is an inspiration to us all.

Echo that! If I improved as quickly as you have my would be perfect by now. (well maybe not perfect, 'cause there was only one guy that was ever perfect and they killed him for it; but close anyhow)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Johnny Dingus

Wow you miss one evening at the computer cause your sitting on the stiching horse and a couple nice beutiful projects turn up on the forum.  Really nice work Santee that holster is just right color and bling.  Ace those holsters look great your getting up to pro status here.  I am going to be asking you how to do things soon.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Marshal Will Wingam

Wow, Ace. Nice work. Balanced design and a good choice of color for the amount of coverage you have. Just the right amount. You're right, they stand on their own without the tips on the toes. All this from the guy who was hesitant to start in. Looking forward to seeing the next ones.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ace Lungger

:) I am so happy that you guys liked that rig,it took me along time, not so much to make, it was how I wanted to put the stamps and what ones! I was going for something in the 1840 pommel's but, the pommel's have a lot more round ness in the toe, so I did a little more tooling than the 40's but tried to flow it all toghter with a semi floal with a little cowboy flare.

And the real truth is it IS YOU PARDS THAT HAVE KEPT ME GOING :) :) If ithad not been for the kindness of you guys and all the help you have gave me, i will still lay in bed evryday feeling sorry for my self! ::) ::)
But with the spark and you pards answering my question without giving me a hard time, like on some other forums, you all have gave me a reason to get up, no matter how bad it feels and go out and work on something!
And it I that Thank YOU :) :)
You all have a good evening.
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Irish Dave

Ace:

Looking better all the time. Nice job.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

HorsePen Henry

Well boys, Ya remember Lil' Lillie? My 1839 Paterson? I finished a belt for 'er today. 

I just thought maybe I'd surprise 'er. :)

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

;) :D HP, that's a a nice looking rig pard, your design and use of border tooling really sets it off, and complements your holster at the same time. Well done.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

HP,  :o That Rocks!! I told you when you made the holster how nice it was, strait out of the book!1 And the belt is just the tip of the ice cream cone!! Love it, anyone would be pround to wear it!

AWESOME RIG
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dr. Bob

Horse Pen,

That is one GREAT looking rig!  Everything is JUST RIGHT!! ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Marshal Will Wingam

Outstanding, X-Pen.  I like the way you cut the billet with the square tip to match the holster. Nice touch. Great match for a great holster. Thanks for the pic.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com