Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

Santee,
man you are not letting any grass grow under your feet, I realy liked the second holster, and this last one is kickin!!! :o
Keep it up pard!! I was thinking that you and I started off about the same time, here i am still in Kindergarden and you are allready in High School  :o Keep up the good work, Pard!!!!!

Tiggersmith, AWESOME looking rig! i guess I am going to have to get out of this bed and get something done no matter how much it kills me.

Maybe today I can get something done, I hope!
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

santee

Thanks, Ace. We did start off about the same time! Yeah, I get that perfectionist thing going on and I have to make it better right away.

But I have yet to tackle a cartridge belt. Gotta wait for the next paycheck and get some patterns...
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ace Lungger

Hey Bud,
You won't have any touble with that!! I got enough relielf to cut a holster out today, that's about all I got done. I was using some scrap and it was oiled tanned , found out right quick that it doesn't take a stamping or crarving! I had some home made stamps, that I used the clamp method, hope my glue holds to the lining ??? Just doing it to practice, and let me tell you i need it :( :(  I am going to cut out a pair off cuff's tomorrow and do some didling if i can get out of bed! I got 2 hours today, this stupid weather just kills me!
  I know what you mean about the next pay check to buy leather, I still am not having any luck selling my stuff, If i could get some of it sold i would buy me some leather!!!! I bought some here a while back, but I don't want to use it, untill I am good enough to do a job to be proud of!!
Can't wait to see your next stuff!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

collinsMS

KC, that is some great work. You can't get that kinda teachin n school.

http://www.theleathercraftsman.com

This web site does not profit in any way. It is personally funded.

Johnny McCrae

Attached are pictures of a Butt Cover made to serve as a recoil pad. This is for a neighbor who is building a long range rifle. I purposely did not match the contour of the butt plate so more padding could be added. He wanted me to add an insert for a "Buffalo Quarter" and just finish it with Neets Foot Oil.

I'm also making a Butt Cover for his Sharps and attached is a picture of the "wet-molded" part. This cover will match the contour of the butt plate. I use Saran Wrap to help keep the shape while drying.

[links no longer active - deleted by moderator]

PS: I've started to use "Photo Bucket" so I can post better looking pictures.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny

You're getting to be quit a butt cover mechanic, nice job and I like the color too, it looks like an oil tanned leather :D ;D

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks really great, Johnny. I prefer the shotgun-style butt plates and that gives the same feel plus a little padding. The molded end really gives it a finished appearance. Great job. I really like it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Boys,

Many thanks for the kind words.

I was on the range today and fired my .45-70 Sharps with a similar style Butt Cover. It really did the job for me as I felt virtually no recoil.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny

I learned a long time and many years ago from gun stock maker, that if you cut or change the angle of the gun butt to
90 degrees center line of bore, you virtually remove all the felt recoil that can be removed. I tried his method on a gun I belt or I should say customized, it was a 1903 A3 SPRINGFIELD 30/06, And it worked, your pads, and useing a shotgun type but do the same thing.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Tenwolves,

Thank you for your post. Thats very interesting. Here are a few pictures I just took of my Sharps. I've tried to eyeball that 90 degree measurement. I suppose using a large rafter square would give me a more accurate 90 degree measurement. It would be interesting to make a cover with an exact 90 degree dimension. I just love this stuff because there is so much to learn.

[links no longer active - deleted by moderator]

cowboywc

Quote from: Arabela Kid on April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM
OK pards, it is time to show off your talents. I would like to see pictures of holsters, belts, sheaths, etc.... that you have made yourself. Let's see what ya got!!!!
Howdy All
I know this is not period but it is cowboy and leather.
Here is the saddle I just finished for a contest next month. This is my first full sized saddle. I've done one
Pony Saddle a couple years ago.
Wish me luck.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Dr. Bob

Great looking saddle!  Looks like it would be comfortable to ride!  Good luck in the contest!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on April 21, 2008, 12:22:18 AM
Howdy Tenwolves,

Thank you for your post. Thats very interesting. Here are a few pictures I just took of my Sharps. I've tried to eyeball that 90 degree measurement. I suppose using a large rafter square would give me a more accurate 90 degree measurement. It would be interesting to make a cover with an exact 90 degree dimension. I just love this stuff because there is so much to learn.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Sharps/100_0281.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Sharps/100_0280.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Sharps/100_0282.jpg

Howdy Johnny

When this friend of mines Dad which was a professional gun stock maker told me this , I didn't understand what he ment , but after he explaned it , it made perfect sence,by having the butt at 90 degrees you are filling the whole stock with the recoil instead of just the top or bottom of the stock, when I built my 00/06 I did this and I couldn't believe the difference in felt recoil.

tEN Wolves  ;) :D ;D

Howdy CowboyWC

Will for you pards that can't get to see WC's saddle in person, it's even nicer in person , and I hope WC wins in the up coming Leather Show in Sheridan Wyoming.
                                                                                 GOOD LUCK PARD

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Pards

I just finished my copy of the Jesse James rig from Will Ghormley's Pattern, I really like this rig, these same holsters will hold my Remington 1875, my Colt SAA, and my Ruger New Model Vaquero's, I can use them in a cross draw or strong side, and twist and draw is smooth and easy, I can see why Jesse James loved to wear this style rig. I finished the leather CowboyWC's way three light coats of oil, and the Skidmores Leather Cream, after each coat I let them  sit in the sun to sun tan, and also after the Skidmores Leather Cream. So here they are  :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Ten Wolves,
That 90 degree theory makes perfect sense to me also. I appreciate your input on this. When I get some time, I'm going to make myself a new Butt Cover for my Coach Gun using a 90 degree dimension.

Just looked at your Jesse James Rig. Absolutely gorgeous! Great workmanship. I like the color. Thanks for sharing your method with us. I'll have to try that.

Howdy Cowboy WC,
Thats a beautiful Saddle!  Best of luck to you in your upcoming contest.
Thank you for all of your helpful and informative posts.

santee

Man is there some serious talent here! WC, I don't know squat about the saddle craft, but that is a beauty to behold!
Ten Wolves, those holsters are top notch. Love the carving/embossing!

Johnny McCrae, do you have to remove that nice looking butt cover after each shoot? I mean, will it harm the metal on the butt plate if left on?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Hi Santee,

I leave the Butt covers on all of the time. So far I do not see any problems with the metal or wood. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Vegetable Tanned leather will not react to bluing but Chrome Tanned leather will. Perhaps some of the other Pards can give some input here.

Marshal Will Wingam

Great saddle, CWC. I like the diamond accents on it, they give it a nice balance. I hope you do well in the contest.

Super job on those holsters, 10W. I really like the finish. It sets off the design nicely. Impressive.

Regarding leaving the butt covers on, I put mine on and forget about it. I never have looked to see if there was any adverse reaction from the leather. I figure at worst, I re-blue them again. Of course, I'm not covering up expensive stuff, only my match guns, which take a little wear now and then anyway.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

HorsePen Henry

tc, First saddle? Good work! Good luck at the show. Are ya gonna keep buildin' 'em?

Ten wolves, nice looking set of holsters. The carving is good and I like the color of the suntanned leather on 'em.

Speakin' of saddles......anybody have a resource for old west saddle patterns and construction. The half seat saddles with the seperate jockeys from the seat and all? I have found some real nice pictures on the web of the 1870's style saddles but no details on how to make 'em. Riggin' patterns and such? I found a tree that will work on the Bowden saddle tree site.  ;D
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com