Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Marshal Will Wingam

We were starting to get on another topic about how we got started working with leather. It is a good subject so I split those posts off to form a new thread just for that. Hopefully others will chime in to tell their stories. You canl find it at: How did You Get Started In Leatherworking?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I thought I would share a picture of a rig I did a little while back
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

This is a rig I did resently
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

This is a picture of three of the western rigs I've made

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice work, pard. I like the conchos. Nice balanced-looking holsters. Say, how many guns do you pack at one time?

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Will

thanks for the flowers, as for the six shooters, when I'm feeling real tall I has my 7 1/2" guns and when eyes feelen a little shorter I has my 5 1/2" ers. ???

Thanks for the come back Will, I really loves doin this leather work . :) ;) :D ;D

Ten Wolves  :D ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on October 27, 2007, 12:33:35 AMI really loves doin this leather work . :) ;) :D ;D
I think all the pards here would agree with that. ;)

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents

I thought I would show some of my stuff, this one is a hunting holster/ shootgun & cartridge belt combo, for CAS events, all I have to do is remove the holster and I have my shootgun shell & cartridge belt, holster back on, shot shell slides off, and you have a hunting rig. I prefer a cross draw holster for hunting , you don't have your long gun bumping into your side arm, like you would if you wore a strong side holster.

You Pards have great day  ;D

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a good idea to double up on the use of your equipment. It breakes it in nicely and you get to enjoy it more. The rig looks good. Nice blond color on it. Good work. Is that your hunting holster? It looks to have a hammer thong tucked away back there.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Will

Thanks for the kind words, the gun is a 44 flat top, it's one of my hunting companions,I switch around with my shooting irons, and there is a hammer thong, you can't see it real well in this pisture . I had a bad experence with strapes that snape, it seemed like when I would be moving through brush, the snap was always getting poped open. so I'm going to try the hammer thong and see if it does any better, I'm hopping it does. The hammer strap with snap was on some of my strong side holsters, I don't think I'll have that problem with this cross draw rig, and it won't be in the way of my rifle.

Take Care Will :)

Ten Wolves  :D ;D

Sawdust Jim

Hi All,
I finished this holster not too long ago. It's a real late (1900) style but, when I saw a picture of the original, I really liked it.
SASS # 62093

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Sawdust Jim  :)

Nice work, I seen this style before, and you captured it very well , my hats off to you pard  ;D

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

I don't recall having seen that holster before. It's really unique. It's easy to see why you like it. You did a good job on the concentric stamping. That's not always easy to get right. Nice work. Good design. Do you have any more information on the original or where you found the photo?

Sawdust Jim

Thanks for the complements!

I found the original on one of the antique arms sites I check out from time to time, looking for interesting paterns and tooling.
The site is called Antique Arms America. http://www.antiquearmsamericainc.com/
Look under "Western Leather" towards the bottom of the list.

Sawdust Jim
SASS # 62093

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the link. I saved it for future reference. Good site. There was a fantastic Meanea holster for sale there, too.

caliberclyde

Hello.  I'm new into leather work, and would appreciate any tips or suggestions to make my work better.
63275 SASS
Thornfield Rangers
I never miss...I just fire lots of warning shots...

outrider

Marshal:

Did ya get a gander at the asking price for that Meanea holster???? ::) :-\
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Welcome, caliberclyde. We like to see new leatherworkers. Good color choice and the dark background sets the design off nicely. As to getting better, the best suggestion I have is practice, practice, practice. The more you do, the better your work is. You obviously have the basics down because you're here. One thing that you may want to do is to get patterns and books from your local leather store and try copying the different styles of the leatherworkers that write them. As you do more stuff, you will evolve your own particular style determined by the way you make your designs as well as how you use the tools. When I was first starting out, I sat down with a swivel knife and made all kinds of cuts on scraps. Over and over until I got a leaf or scroll the way I liked. Then I'd do it again the next time I wanted to fiddle with some leather. It's all a matter of getting enough miles on that knife and taps on those tools. Looking forward to your next project. Thanks for the post.

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: outrider on November 01, 2007, 02:50:20 PMDid ya get a gander at the asking price for that Meanea holster???? ::) :-\
Yeah. I wish I could get that for some of mine. Let's see, one a week wouldn't do bad..... :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com