Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooleemee Edd

Outrider, those were some pretty holsters! 

Marshall Will, I think that I will probably be making holsters forever!  I haven't had anyone to really show me the ropes, I just keep plugging away at learning by myself. It is good therapy at any rate. If nothing else, I'll have plenty of leather around for "loaners" and to play around with. The last couple that I made are begging for double cartridge-belts. The first cartridge belt that I made was pretty tight for the .45LC cartridges. It may loosen up with use, however I bet it will fit a .38/357 just fine. Maybe I'll find someone in our area who can use it getting started. It is a good way to make friends!

I always like to have a few little "trinkets" around to trade and give away. I used to make flint strikers and show new reenactors how to make fire with flint and steel, then give them their "fire fixins' kit. I'm bringing home a bunch of "antique" locks that are used here to secure cemetary plots. They look really good on gun carts. I wish that I could get them wholesale. They are a little hard to find lately. Funny thing, though. There is no shortage of need for them! People are still dying to get into these cemetaries! :P

SASS #68719
SBSS 1944
Prayer Posse

I've often been told "Quit while you're ahead." But I'm not ahead, so I guess I won't quit!

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Cooleemee Edd on July 08, 2007, 10:54:51 PMMarshall Will, I think that I will probably be making holsters forever!
Yeah, you're hooked. :D  On your double belts, remember that they fit differently than single belts. I made the first pair almost 3" wide and they didn't work as well as I would have liked, they had a tendency to slip down a lot, especially if the bullet loops were full. Not only that, but I could hardly bend over to pick up brass because of all the leather I had on. The next pair I made were 1 3/4" wide and much more comfortable, not to mention more correct for earlier pistols.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Cooleemee Edd

Will, thanks for that information. I didn't know that. The double cartridge belts look cool, however may not be very practical. I have never made a cartridge belt with loops that go under the holster loops, either. I see them on the movies, but they don't look very practical to me.

I like to have the holsters very snug on the belt so that they don't ride up and down when you draw. I am tempted to tie my holsters down to keep my regular gunbelts from  riding up on my skinny hips. This has been less of a problem recently; however I want to get back to the way I was a few years ago. I've still got about two inches to go. I try to make my belts long enough to give me plenty of leeway. From what I gather, it is best to size your belts by bhe distance from the buckle tip to about the mid-point in the array of holes for the buckle tongue. That gives you some play. That reminds me of something. I'll need to start a new thread for it.  The topic will be "old-fashioned buckles"
SASS #68719
SBSS 1944
Prayer Posse

I've often been told "Quit while you're ahead." But I'm not ahead, so I guess I won't quit!

Johnny McCrae

Beautiful work Outrider!

Thanks for sharing this with us. I need to make myself a better shotgun slide and you have given me some very good ideas.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Paladin UK

Yup!!, Bootiful work pard, the finish looks superb!! Ya should feel reeeel proud, ya got the right ta be!! ;D

Paladin (That thinks Outriders work is Brill!!  :D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

will ghormley

I've been workin' on saddles and haven't had much time for anythin' else.  But, I figured I could at least post a link the latest set of saddles I made.  1870s Colorado style, half-seat, stock saddles.  http://www.willghormley-maker.com/1870saddle.html

Will
"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Marshal Will Wingam

I love those stock saddles. Thanks for the link, Will. Good work, pard.

Dr. Bob

Will,

Way cool!  Can you estimate how many times you smacked a stamp into the leather to build that saddle?  Looks so good it makes me want to buy a horse to put one on.  Oh yea, I live in the city! :o >:( ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Icebox Bob

I wanted something with an ex-military look so this is the holster I made.  I started with a belt I picked up at a secondhand shop, converted the buckle to "ranger style' with some scrounged and some new brass harware, and then did up a matching cylinder pouch and shotgun slide.  I'm doing a matching knife scabbard next.

Icebox Bob
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Dr. Bob

Howdy Icebox Bob,

Nice looking rig.  The holster buckle is a real classy touch.  Thanks for sharing you project.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Marshal Will Wingam

I like the half-flap on it. Looks good. Thanks for sharing it with us. Be sure to post a pic of any other stuff you do.

Silver_Rings

Nice work Icebox.  I've thought of making a slim jim style but haven't gottin around to it.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Major 2

when planets align...do the deal !

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice work, Major. The oxblood looks good with the dark overtones. Did you airbrush that on?

outrider

Howdy Pards:

Here are some photos of a new knife sheath I just finished for the manager of the local Leather Factory.  The inlay is Canebreak Rattlesnake.  I particularly like the way the stripes are configured.  The knife was custom made for him by a fellow in GA.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Major 2

I got to say that is a handsome set... Very nice
when planets align...do the deal !

Marshal Will Wingam

That really works. The snakeskin is a good accent for the stag handle.

outrider

Howdy Major:

I sent you an e-mail about the grips. 
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Irish Dave

Just finished a shoulder rig for my new Beretta Laramie (New Model No. 3 copy w/repro S&W grips added) and thought I'd share a look with the board.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Marshal Will Wingam

That really looks great, Dave. I love the border design. How did you accomplish the very edge lines on it? Nice rig, pard. How's about a close-up of that border design? It's outstanding.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com