Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalton Masterson

Heres my newest projects. Made these lined holsters for my wife's Cimarron Model P Jrs. Workin on the matching belt yet. These were the subject of my spot setting question previously. Once the belt is finished, will use an antique to highlight the detail.

They were a lot of fun to build, and was almost tempted to grab the Adler machine and start machine stitching. Cant bring myself to do that yet. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Dalton Masterson

Heres another project, courtesy of Mr. Ghormley.

Gotta finish the edges yet, but figured I would post them while I am posting others.
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: dalton masterson on June 06, 2007, 11:20:33 PMThey were a lot of fun to build,
Isn't that the truth. Those look good, pard. Nice contrast between the lining and the outer color, too. I take it that the second pair is made from one of Will's patterns. Be sure to post pics of them finished.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

crossdraw

They both look great. Have you carved leather before?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Dalton Masterson

I have carved a few holsters, but these are the best I have done yet. Not perfect when I look at them, but good 10 footers, lol. DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: dalton masterson on June 07, 2007, 09:24:38 PMNot perfect when I look at them, but good 10 footers, lol. DM
LOL, I have yet to make anything that I'm completely satisfied with. My new holsters that haven't even been assembled yet have a thing or two I'll change next time. It's just the way it is. Now, good enough, that's another matter. If it's good enough, I'll put my mark on it and say it's my work. If not, I toss it and start over.

Maj.Bull S. Hitter

I am impressed with all the talent out there.I am wanting to put pics on and found the Marshalls post on how to do it .So now I just have to figure out the camera.
If anyone is interested the only magazine to my knowledge is The Leather crafters and saddlers journal,331Annette ct.  Rhinelander,WI 54501.   leathercraftersjournal.com is the website.Lot's of leather crafting info and suppliers.Also every month has patterns for doing leather projects of different types.
Period patterns can be found from different suppliers catalogs and elsewhere.

Brazos Jack

Howdy again folks,

Got a couple Oldies but Goodies I want to share with you. Now who can say that these ain't True Old West?

Enjoy.

Cooleemee Edd

For someone who is a destroyer of pocket-watch crystals, or who has ever had a pocket-watch come open in your pocket, here's a really simple little case that will only take you about 20 minutes to make out of light leather. This is meant for those who are going to carry the watch in a pocket.

It is simple an elongated rectangle of leather with a big hole cut in it for the winder and chain to come out. I made a pattern of paper so that it fit snugly but not too tight around my watch. There are no fasteners of any kind, just four stitches on each side. This is about the simplest possible thing to make, but it builds confidence in your cutting and stitching abilities if you haven't done any leather-work before. These also make nice little gifts for friends who carry pocket watches. If I was going to give a pocket-watch to a Pard as a gift, I'd certainly make one to throw in the box.

I'm in the process of making more little things, like a cell-phone cover that doesn't look like one. As soon as I decide on a fastener for it, I'll photograph it and add that, too.
I'm slowly working on a pair of saddle-bags, made from really crummy but heavy-duty leather that I'm salvaging. For $15 for a side, I figured that I would chance it!  I think that this leather was intended for shoe soles or something. It is as hard as a rock.  I already made a very durable strong-side holster and gunbelt out of it for practice with my "replica" 1858 Colt. I'm playing with a mix of warm "Virgin" and "Extra Virgin" olive oil to soften it up. I am hoping that I'll have enough of it left to make a rifle scabbard out of it, too.

We are out of the country, so cheap leather is available, but I have never found any vegetable tanned, so I have to "make due."
SASS #68719
SBSS 1944
Prayer Posse

I've often been told "Quit while you're ahead." But I'm not ahead, so I guess I won't quit!

Dalton Masterson

Nice idea C.E.!! Make sure ya post some more pics of stuff when you get it done!
I have had some leather like yours, that was too hard to do much with. I ended up using it for stamping practice. Even wet it hardly stamped. Terrible stuff. DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Lincoln County

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on June 06, 2007, 05:46:35 AM

Lincoln County, I really like the design for a field and personal carry holster.  My guess would be that the rolled over liner will offer stability and stiffness at the mouth to prevent any tendency towards loss of shape. If you do not mind, what is the total weight of the combined leather with liner on this one. 

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.  Thanks for the compliment, and you're right about the holster mouth.  The total weight with the liner is around 12 oz.  That is a rough guess based on my limited experience.  The holster seems to be holding up well, though.

Marshal Will Wingam

Good idea, Edd. I like it. Now I have an excuse to get a pocket watch.

Cooleemee Edd

Hey, Pards,

Here's another simple project that took me about 30 minutes to produce. I didn't have a straight-edge, just a piece of scrap leather and my little "housewife" sewing kit. If you are not familiar with that, I'll lay it out, photograph it, and you can see what it contains. It is "historically accurate" for a soldier, cowboy, or single person during the period from 1700-1900, and even now!

When I put this together, I was sitting outside in sweltering heat in a little country town in central Azerbaijan. The air was still and the sweat was heavy. It was starting to get dark and there was no outside lighting to speak of, so I needed to work fast. After I got it finished, the sun was down and the breeze from the mountains started up. No such thing as air-conditioning out there. (Or indoor plumbing or water year-round or electricity 24-hours per day, but the gas is pretty good.) When the weather is hot, folks move their kitchens outside. Not a big deal except for getting the refrigerator and range down the stone steps. People traditionally usually live well above ground level out there, as you can never tell if and when the river will flood and how high it might get. (Enough of the culture and weather already!!)

I used two pieces of leather for this one. One is the "pocket" if you want to call it that, and the other is the cover and belt-loop. If I had been thinking better, I would have had a one-piece pocket/cover and a separate belt loop. Sometimes the cell phone hangs up on the inside edge of the pocket when I put it back. If I had used one piece, that problem would have been eliminated!  (Better luck next time). I found a little "barrel button" made of wood, with a swiveling brass "eye" as a fastener. As I didn't have a slot cutter with me, I used my pen knife to cut the button-hole. Not the best thing, but it worked just fine. I figure my cowboy counterpart in the 1870's would have made his cell-phone case about the same way! ::)

Next: The "Housewife." After that, "Telescope Case."
SASS #68719
SBSS 1944
Prayer Posse

I've often been told "Quit while you're ahead." But I'm not ahead, so I guess I won't quit!

Marshal Will Wingam

There ya go, Edd. Looks like it should do the job. You have a CSA cell phone to go with it? I hear those are worth a lot these days. ;D

Johnny McCrae

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on June 07, 2007, 10:18:32 PM
LOL, I have yet to make anything that I'm completely satisfied with. My new holsters that haven't even been assembled yet have a thing or two I'll change next time. It's just the way it is. Now, good enough, that's another matter. If it's good enough, I'll put my mark on it and say it's my work. If not, I toss it and start over.

Thought I was the the only person who felt this way about my work. I usually see some improvement with each new project but I always seem to be on a quest for the perfect holster.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

outrider

Howdy All:

Here is a few pics of a new gun rig I just finished for a new SASS shooter.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice rig, Outrider. You even included a loading stirp to match. Good idea. I notice the shotgun slide extends down a distance below the shotshells. Is that to keep the slide stable?

Slowhand Bob

A good looking competitiion rig.  Marshall, a close look will reveal that the loops or pockets are located up real high to place the shells above belt line for quick access.  Though attractive, I would say this rig is mostly about competition.

outrider

Howdy Pards:

Marshal..the shotgun slide is large enough to go onto a 3 inch ranger style belt and the double loops are so that the shooter can retrieve 2 shells at a time.  Alot of the SASS shooters are using this style with the double loops.

Slowhand...you are correct the holsters are styled towards competition.  Although not my style this is what the customer wanted.

Many of the shooters are now using this type holster with a 2 inch drop and an 8 degree muzzle forward cant.  Definately not period correct but SASS allows this type of stuff to go on so alot of the competitive shooters use what ever they can to get the upper hand.  Kirkpatrick..even puts out a holster that has an adjustable cant  where you can adjust I think our to 20 degrees.   To me...personally...this kind of stuff reminds me of police combat shooting gear...but SASS allows it.   ??? ??? :o

Thanks for the kind words..means alot coming from fellow leather crafters.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, Outrider. I was wondering about that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com