Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Outrider,

Beautiful work on your Derringer holsters. Thats a nice neat design! The stamp you have used in my favorite.
Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ace Lungger

Dalton, SWEET Pard :o  :o, Grest Garving and the color is awesome. When Can I come up to Nebraska for my carving lesson???? :o ;D

Outrider, that a little Honey to!!

Ace
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Jethro "Black Jack" Harris

Howdy, Pards,
New guy so here goes:

dumb question #1: is there anyplace where all the pix from this thread have been posted so i don't have ta wade thru all the "gee, that's some purty work" posts? Not that there's anything wrong with that and there are some interesting tidbits of advice, but ya got 4 years worth!  :o :o :o :o

dumb question #2: if'n i wanna add a hammer thong to my slim jim cross draw (that i did not make myself, that'll come later) what's the best way to do it? thru the holster or the belt loop? same fer a tie-down on a strong side holster

gonna get some supplies and advice and maybe, jes maybe, post my own pic one of these years
"Here lies Lester Moore...4 shots from a 44...no Les, no more"

Marshal Will Wingam

Welcome, Jethro. There isn't any place with all the photos packed away all together. Maybe there should be, but we haven't figured out how or where to do it. Looking forward to your posts and certainly any photos you have.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Muchas gracias, Marshall. Now, what about dumb question #2?

JBJH

HorsePen Henry

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. It won't cost ya any more......I think the loop over the trigger is a hollywood thing or at the very least a 20th century thing. I fit holsters real snug and they come up high on the revolver like the old timers made 'em. I haven't lost a pistole yet and I don't use loops or straps. It is my opinion that if the holster fits right there ain't nothin' ta worry about. 'Course...I don't do quick draw McGraw stuff so a snug holster is fine for me. If yer a quick draw artist with not much holster for the gun.....ya might wanna put a hammer loop or a snap strap on yer holster. If so....bring it around from the back side of yer holster and up and over the hammer just below the spur. A rivet will hold it from the backside of the holster. A trigger loop will come up the same way. Just poke a hole and tie it in with the knot on the backside of the holster.

Just my 2 pesos,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Marshal Will Wingam

I don't put hammer thongs on either but if I was going to, I'd punch two holes along the fold of the holster where the topstrap of the pistol is. Then I'd thread the thong in the top one and back out the lower one. A snug fit will keep the pistol in and you can tighten it by pulling down on the thong. For a tie-down, You can punch a couple holes in the back and run that thong in one, out the other and then tie it off leaving the ends long enough to go around your leg. The holster in the photo has an open toe so I just ran the thong out the toe. I've done them with two holes like I mentioned if the toe is closed.

Thanks, Will and Henry...good points all. I know this is not the proper thread for the question, but I jes' thot I'd throw it in and see if'n anybody thru it back out!   :) 

I have a 1858 Remmie .36 with 6 1/2" barrel made in 1970 by EuroArms, so the frame is a bit smaller. Til I can make my own, I bought a cheap holster at a local gun shop but it's cut for the larger .44 frame. Pistol threatens to fall out if I leave it in when I take off my belt. And the holster is a good 2" longer than the gun! As for the slim jim, I have a .44 Remmie with 5 1/2" barrel so it fits better, but same problem when taking off the belt. Jes' wanna pertect my firearms.

Thanks again, pards!

JBJH

cowboywc

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on June 06, 2008, 10:23:23 PM
I don't put hammer thongs on either but if I was going to, I'd punch two holes along the fold of the holster where the topstrap of the pistol is. Then I'd thread the thong in the top one and back out the lower one. A snug fit will keep the pistol in and you can tighten it by pulling down on the thong. For a tie-down, You can punch a couple holes in the back and run that thong in one, out the other and then tie it off leaving the ends long enough to go around your leg. The holster in the photo has an open toe so I just ran the thong out the toe. I've done them with two holes like I mentioned if the toe is closed.
Off set the holes form center between the topstrap & the cylinder. No wear that way.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: cowboywc on June 07, 2008, 01:50:09 PMOff set the holes form center between the topstrap & the cylinder. No wear that way.
Good tip. Thanks, I'll remember that.

Dalton Masterson

Offset it to the back side, then it can be tucked out of sight if ya want.
Welcome Jethro!!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

HorsePen Henry

About a week ago I posted a picture of this border on the Border Library. I finally got it done and here is a picture of it. For the finish I used Leather Glow and EVOO and as much sunlight as possible. The storms this spring has slowed things down some.

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Black Powder

I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Horse Pen

This holster is beautiful Pard, i like the way you use your tooling stamps on the borders and the seeding stamps really give it a different but really nice look, everything seems to tie end to one  another, and flow from the top to the bottom, the rosette's are perfectly placed, and useing a basket weave in combination with the border stamp to encircle the rosette's makes it all come together. WELL DONE PARD, again my hats off to ya... ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

will ghormley

Hey Guys,

I usually don't post photos of projects, but this one is different.  I was asked to make a couple of reproductions of the rig worn by Johnny Ringo in "Tombstone".  I couldn't find the conchos anywhere, so I ended up makin' 'em myself.  I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out.

Will
"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Ace Lungger

HP,
That is one PUrdy holster to have made there HP. I knew the frst time  saw the starting is was going to flow and be awesome :o

Mr Will, Do you have a better pic on your web site? I know that every forum has a liminted band space to use! I would like to see a closer look thet look mighyty fine to me. If they are not posted, maybe I could twist your arm in sending me a email with a bigger pic, if you don't still have my email pm me and I will send it to you.
Thanks ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dalton Masterson

HorsePen, thats purdy fer sure. I like it a lot!!

Will, you did a nice job on them there conchos. Whole thing looks pretty good as usual! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Very, very nice work, X-Pen. I like the color you ended up with. Nice contrast between the rosettes and the more linear border/background work.

Hey, Will. That really looks  great. I also would like to see a close-up of those conchos. Let us know when it's on your site. Is that holster close to the original? It looks similar to a few I've seen in collections.

Thanks to you both for the pictures.

will ghormley

There ya' go.  This link is about the best I can do for a larger picture.
Will

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/Photos.html

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Will Ghormley  ;D

Nice work pard, picture off your web site shows the detail much better , I like it , and the conchos, you did a great job on them too, I'm a push over for the bling , i've always liked this style rig, what did you use to get the brown color you finished with , I really like that. Thanks for sharing Pard.  ;) :D ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com