Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalton Masterson

Dang Seth, that looks good! Also looks like a tough sucker to sew too. Great work! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Good job, Seth. I like the simplicity of the design. It really shows the insert off nicely. It'll be nice to see the completed rig. The black really works with it. Keep 'em coming.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Seth Shaw

Thanks pards! I'm really proud of this piece, it was quite a challenge working with ray-skin. The belt will buckle in the back and has a buscadero drop loop on the right hand side that this holster will thread through. 20g shotgun loops in front along with some .32 cartridge loops. I'm going to do some simple carving on the belt and try and inlay a little more ray-skin for effect and add a couple of silver concho's to the base of the billet and chape.

Needless to say I have really high hopes for this rig and more importantly my wife really really like it so far.
See me takin' shots at the bar like I'm bullet-proof.
USFA-CSS #176

Pitspitr

I thought it looked like ray skin. Super neat looking!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

santee

Coooool. Is that ray-skin more or less pliable than leather? You mentioned it was tough to sew through, but is it flexible?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Seth,

Beautiful Holster! Great design! You did a great job with the insert.
Many thanks for sharing this with us. Look forward to seeing the completed Rig.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Seth Shaw

Quote from: santee on May 31, 2008, 08:40:50 AM
Coooool. Is that ray-skin more or less pliable than leather? You mentioned it was tough to sew through, but is it flexible?

The ray-skin is actually quite flexible. The hide itself is similar to gloves leather or garment leather. The "grain-side" of the skin has these little round bumps all over it that look like tiny glass beads. Cutting through those little beads was one of the hardest parts, as was putting stitching holes in it. I had to invest in a Dremel just to get through it :D

I'm really looking forward to completing the rig. I'll get some more pictures up as I complete the remaining pieces.
See me takin' shots at the bar like I'm bullet-proof.
USFA-CSS #176

outrider

Howdy Seth,

Now that looks really good. you should give yourself an "atta boy" for that holster.  That Ray Skin looks good. 
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Dalton Masterson

Heres my newest Ruger set. Built off of Will G.'s Jesse James set. Forgot to use the 5 1/2" pattern, so have stubby holsters. Will probably sell them or donate them to our state shoot and make me some longer ones.
Finish is EVO and a few days at work riding on my dash in the sun. Topped with a coat of Skidmores.
BTW, I found Skidmores at Corral West Ranchwear in our local mall, if anyone is trying to find some. It was by the boot polishes. DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Dr. Bob

Howdy DM,

Those look GREAT!!  Somebody is going to be real happy!! ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

:D ;D 8) excellent, Dalton nice work pard, their beautiful , and you said you couldn't carve leather, will you can't say that now, WEEEEELLLL DONE ;) :D ;D ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Hi Dalton,

Beautiful Holsters! The finish looks great!

Never thought to leave them on the dashboard for the sun-tan treatment. Good idea.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Dalton Masterson

I did that Johnny, so that I could flip them every hour to get both the inside and outside tanned. I didnt stitch them until afterwards. DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

HorsePen Henry

Good lookin' old style toolin', Dalton. Those are cute lil' holsters fer sure!!
Nicely done.

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a fine pair of holsters, Dalton. Nice work. Good tooling. Great color. Those will make someone very happy, I'd say. They look good as shorter holsters. Thumbs up. Thanks for the pic.

outrider

Dalton,

All I can say is "DITTO" to what everyone else said..beautiful ;) ;) :D
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

santee

Impressive. The suntan treatment really works well.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

outrider

Howdy Pards,

Well, I have another order for a "Snake Slayer" holster.  The difference between this one and the first one is that this one has a safety strap.  These little Bond .45 Colt/.410 Shotgun derrengers seem to be getting very popular around here.  I think I will buy one of these little derrengers and start making these holsters as part of my front line offerings.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Outrider  ;D ;D

Very nice pard, clean lines and stamping, you should do well with these. ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice Holster, Outrider. It looks like the strap is a good addition. Now you have an excuse to order one of those little poppers. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com