Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HorsePen Henry

I bet his eyes bug out when he sees it. It's real flashy and nice workmanship! Real nice!

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Paladin UK

:o WOW Outrider!!!!! :o

What a Boooootiful rig !! :D

I think it just oooozes class!!, I think yer pard will be one very happy cowboy!!
;D

Paladin (What reckons Outriders `Da Main Man`  ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Pitspitr

I just finished a couple of projects.

The first is a retirement gift for the park superintendant at Fort Hartsuff State Historic Park, Roye Lindsay. I took my inspiration for it from several holsters in Packing Iron. I made it to fit one of the pistols I knew he had, a 7 1/2" Schofield replica.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Pitspitr

for some reason it's only letting me post one picture at a time. so here's another view of it.

Pitspitr

The other project is a set of pommel holsters for the GAF Grand Muster in Oct. They were made to use as a prop on a wooden horse. I used some scraps of leather I had and would have been better if I'd have used better quality materials, but I guess they'll serve the purpose.

Pitspitr

and another look at them...

Dalton Masterson

Pitspitr, that is beautiful!! Very nicely done. I am sure he will treasure it. DM

And, nice lookin pommel holsters! Props are a great way to use up scraps that you wouldnt normally use good leather for. Hope you get a chance to make it to State next weekend. Plan on seeing you at the Cornhusker games..... DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Black Powder

Roye Lindsay must be a heckuva superintendent.

More and more I appreciate why Mom always loved the things her kids made.  There's just nothin' that rivals a hand-made gift.  Pitspitr, that is one fine gift.  I know nothing about leatherwork, but I just marvel at the alignment of the pattern to the edge.  If it's a known technique, fine; I just gotta tip my hat regardless.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Pitspitr

Nice work indeed, your tooling is absolutely beautiful, and right on, I know your friend will be overwhelmed, and the pommel holsters should be a nice surprise for your club , they have the look of leather right out of the 1800's, your work seems to be getting better everytime i see it , and i always enjoy your post's thanks for sharing with us Pard. ::) :o ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Pitspitr,

What a great retirement gift!

Did you give it to Mr. Lindsay yet? I'll bet he will be touched by your wonderful gift.
Great design and workmanship!

Your Pommel Holsters look very authentic. Nice job!

Many thanks for sharing this with us. Look forward to seeing your future projects.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

HorsePen Henry

I like that stamp you used on the holster. It has a nice open feel to the design in its contrast. The finish makes it really pop. I like the pistol buckets too. Sewing those toe plugs are quite a challenge yet for me. Good work Pitspitr!!

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Marshal Will Wingam

You're hot, Pitspitr. You really did a good job on that retirement holster. The alignment of the stamping is well done, not an easy task. The overall look is great and anyone would be proud to receive that as a gift. No doubt he'll treasure that one. Great job on the pommel holsters, too. They really look like they're originals. Nice work. Thanks for posting your pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

santee

Great job! I assume you carved those initials?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Pitspitr

Thanks guys!

Santee; yep they're carved then I used echo flow to block them but they almost look like the dye migrated under the finish block. I had run out of the dye that I had been using and used a different type. I probably won't be using it again when I want to block the dye.

Horsepen; these toe plugs didn't work as well as they usualy do for me since the leather was scrap leather the body was considerably lighter weight than the plug so it didn't stand out the way I'd have liked. Actually the retirement holster is the first holster I've made without a plug.

Johnny; I haven't given it to him yet, hopefully I'll see him this weekend.

Marshal Will and BP; I use a Craft-aid template to make a grid to follow, but even then it's next to impossible for me to get perfect alignment. Even so, I'm a lot more comfortable with stamping than I am with floral carving. :-\ I wish I could do florals like you guys.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

HorsePen Henry

Pitspitr,

The reverse is true for me. The two holsters I am working on now are the first two holsters in my entire life I have put toe plugs in. The second one is in easier than the first one. I am warmin' up to the process. The pommel holsters look good ta me.

Question for you guys: How long does it take for Olive Oil to dry and is that the end of the process or do ya put wax on over that?

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Pitspitr

Horse Pen
If  you're doing a plug for the first time, one of the biggest things I've found that makes them work better is to make the stich placement closer on the plug than on the body. For instance I use 7 stitches per in. on the plug and 5 on the body. On a 1 inch circular plug that comes out just about perfect. You might have to fudge just a little but not much.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: HorsePen Henry on May 29, 2008, 07:44:36 PM
Pitspitr,

The reverse is true for me. The two holsters I am working on now are the first two holsters in my entire life I have put toe plugs in. The second one is in easier than the first one. I am warmin' up to the process. The pommel holsters look good ta me.

Question for you guys: How long does it take for Olive Oil to dry and is that the end of the process or do ya put wax on over that?

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen

hELLO hORSE pEN

The olive oil will soak in real quick, I generally do three light coats , with drying and sun tanning in between, then you can buff it  with a soft cloth, then I use Skidmores Leather Cream, as a final finish, it will give you a nice natural sheen, after its been on for a hour or two , buff it up, and your done, I love this stuff.. you can do a couple coats as well. When useing olive oil only use EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, ANYTHING ELSE YOU TAKE A CHANCE OF IT GETTING RANCID.  http://www.skidmores.com/

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

HorsePen Henry

Thanks fer the tip on the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and the Skidmore Leather Creme. That extra virgin olive oil is all Mrs. Horse Pen buys so I am good there. She allows me some fer my guns and now the leather. It makes good gun lube too. Ain't she a sweetie?

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Horse Pen Henry  ;D

Sounds like the better half is all tuned in pard , thats how i started out , getting it from the Mrs., but now i have my own bottle in my shop, i think she might of thought i was getting cutties on one she had,  oh well thats ok with me , nothing like having your own Extra Virgin, don't ya know.(LOL)

tAKE CARE pARD  :) :D

;) :D ;D       tEN wOLVES

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com