Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

Thanks Dave,  I am great full for the Kuddo. I just got threw watching the DvD frontier Holsters with Chuck Burrows ! And it was very educational, I only wished that the video of the carving was closer, he made it look easy. he had a tool that I can't find, except for one that was $85.00. It was a stich grover non adjustable the cutter was in the middle with a wooden handle, Dave do anyone else knoow where to look for this tool?
Thanks ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

HorsePen Henry

Good job Ace. Keep up the good work. You are really making a lot a progress.

Thumbs up,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello Ace

Tandy sells a free hand stiching groover, check it out , it has a red handle , this is what I use when there is no border to use as a fence.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

CLICK ON THIS WEB SITE

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?dept=210
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

Thanks Horsepen for the Kuddo's I am trying!

TW, I might have to trry one of those, taht handle is so little, I wonder if I could keep it against a strait edge or not?

After got got threw watching Chuck Burrows DVD, I think I will start on a pair of California Slims for my 72 open tops, with the belt loop on the back, I think I will use the Frank James Stamps and a nice simple border, need to get me another adjustable stich groover, been wathing ebay with no luck on a used one! What do you think 1 1/2 belt or 2" belt or? I am thinking, instead of a double crossdraw, I would do to rigs? Be pretty 1800's don't you think?

Have you got to use the vinagroon dye yet? I am going to mix up some of the brown Chuck on his DVD uses it and I like the color!
TW. give me your thoughts on this, I would be great full!
Ace
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

HorsePen Henry

Ace, ya might want to try making some cardboard templates of your curves and use that to be a guide for your freehand stitch groover to make designs in yer leather with. Draw them on some card stock and cut them out with a X-Acto knife then lay them on the leather where ya want to make the curves. Another bright idea would be to by those plastic french curves that draftsman use. You can get them in art supply stores. Is there a instution fer higher learnin' in yer area with a bookstore with art supplies in it? I'll betchya they have those french curves. They'll help ya make all kinds of curves real graceful like. ;D

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Ace Lungger

Horespen, Thanks a lt for the tip, I only live 35 miles from Joplin Mo. and they have a Micheal's and Hobby Lobby, and i am sure i can get that stuff there> i am still thinking on buying a replacement blade and heating it a little at a time and bend a little at a time untill i get it strait, and i have a wooden handle allready! I watch Chuck slide right down a stait edge with that old tool I am afraid if I buy that tandy pen like groover, when I get done it will look like a snake :o :o

I want to thank all you guys for all the help, and i want to thank MW for starting the fact section on sewing and makingh your own dyes ect. I been researching how to make my own Tan Kote!
Have a good one!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Ace

Useing the free hand stitch groover with a ruler or straight edge, or following a contour pattern is a piece of cake, don't sweat it pard, it's easy, and this tool is easy to hold on to, even with my big hands. but if you need more bulk , you can always wrap it in leather or just tape, I used to wrap some of my butcher knives with butcher twine, and that work great.
      You ask what size belt I would use for the California Slim Jim's, it's a matter of tast, I wouldn't want anything less than 2" but 2 1/2" for me would be better, I'm a big pard, putting a 1 1/2" belt on me, would look like my holsters were tied on with string ( LOL ) SO JUST STEP BACK , and give it some good thought.
      If you're going to make the walnut dye , just follow Chucks directions , and you cant miss.

HorsePen Henry's idea of making templates is a good one, especially if you don't have a steady hand, which I don't anymore, my hand gets to shaking sometimes and I have to stop for a while , it takes me longer , but I still get it done, Cowboy style. So HorsePen thanks for that idea.  ??? 8)

You Pards take care  :D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dalton Masterson

Ace!! Nice job! Looks good!
Nice tips on the freehand groover too, Horsepen! I think I will pick up one of those tools too. Meant to get one last time I was there, but ended up with the adjustable creaser/groover instead.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ace Lungger

:) I want to thank all of you guys I am great full for the tips, And i would advise anyone that is just starting to buy Frontier Holsters with Chuck Burrows. I wished I had of had it before I ever started, I knew some of the stuff that was on the DVD's but I learned a lot!!!! from it  :o :o
Dalton, and who ever, there is a never ending list of tools that you need, and the cost :o You can't buy them all at a time, I FEEL VERY VERY LUCKY, those reading this will know why I said that :) After wathing the DVD a peron needs a free hand groover, and if a person could pick up a extra adjustable it would be a great help!
Talk to you all soon, I hope everyone has a GREAT WEEKEND :)

ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Howdy, pards. After a few days of being without WIFI to get in here, I'm back. It was a long drive home but we made it and things can get back to normal. Glad to see you all have been busy.

Quote from: anvilring on May 14, 2008, 11:02:08 AMThis is the first holster I've ever made for a pistol...
Fine holster, pard. I have yet to make one by cutting the design in like that. It really looks authentic.

Quote from: Tommy tornado on May 14, 2008, 09:16:11 PMNow all you need to complete that rig and gun set up is the "Hand of God" grips!  I like the rig.
Tommy is right, Ace. That would fit the theme beautifullly. You may even want to put the same cross conchos on the grips that you used on the holsters. Great price on the hardware. Keep 'em coming.

Great tips on the grooving, pards. That's how we all get better.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dalton Masterson

Heres my newest set for my 1860s. Used Will G's Jesse James pattern, and carved in the shield. Need to go back and do some touchup probably after it all has time to cure.
I am hoping it will antique itself over time, and yellow out, get scraped, etc. Thought about doing some rough antiquing with a sanding block, etc, but figure it will happen in time.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Dr. Bob

Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Pitspitr

OH ManDalton! those are gorgeous! actually I'm not sure "Gorgeous" is quite good enough to describe them
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

outrider

Dalton...fantastic   that's all I can say
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Marshal Will Wingam

Outstanding, Dalton. Those shields really make a statement. Very impressive.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dalton Masterson

Thank you gents. They took a long time to paint with the Ecoflow dyes. The stars are actually stamped deeply, and in the picture look fuzzy. Could be because of the flash. Its kind of ironic I think that I took the pics on my Confederate vest, but I dont have any Union blue stuff yet. DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Irish Dave

Very nice work, pard.
Clean, well-crafted and striking. Great job.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Dalton ::) :o 8) ;D

Man, Pard, these are beautiful, what a great idea, you're all set for any of the Patriotic shoots coming up for sure, and I know how long that must have taken to do. Well done Pard

Dalton Masterson

10 Wolves, your are correct. Hell On Wheels is over the 4th of July, so hopefully I will be wearing them there. DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com