Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

Looks good, Johnny. I really like the simple design. Effective. Thanks for sharing

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Tommy tornado

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on May 10, 2008, 06:47:48 PM
Here are a few pictures of a Shoulder Holster Rig I made for a friends Pocket Pistol.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Holsters/100_0330.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Holsters/100_0331.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Holsters/100_0335.jpg

What is the measurements on the belf or strap of that rig?  That might look good with a snubby Remington stuff into it.  I like the design, very simple looking.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Johnny McCrae

Howdy TT,

Attached is a drawing showing the dimensions. I would guess my friend is around 5'-11" and 200 lbs. If you decide to make one up, it might be a good idea to mock up the strap length with heavy twine or scrap leather. I have the patterns available if you would need them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/Holsters/100_0338.jpg
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Tommy tornado

excellent drawing.  I am currently working out the final shape of a holster for my snubby when I get time.  I am about the same height and weight as your pard, so your drawing is most helpful.  Thanks Johnny
# 356056

anvilring

This is the first holster I've ever made for a pistol....

Then with my trusty VERY used CONSEW 227, I made a "practice cartridge/money belt... The learning curve here is steep... I just used some leather scraps but the idea was to sew a billit, some loops, the fold over etc... I just love these stupid things! guess I could wear one to Church or the movies as I wouldn't have much call to wear one at all...that'd be without the pistol of course.

I finally got two of these loops sewn right (the critical top'n bottom "across" stitch which you gotta do so's to get to the next loop. The rest look like steps to a haunted house.... but I'm learning!  ;D

My home made background stamp. Hand drilled, filed out, hardened and tempered. The one next to is is "Tandy Trash"...

Ace Lungger

ANVILRING,  :o :o :)
AWESOME JOB ! :) I love it, I have not got to the carving part yet, I have a long ways to go!
I can only hope my first carving looks half that could!
Great Job, Thanks for Sharing!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

santee

Cool holster. Did you happen to use a dremel to make your stitching holes?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Irish Dave

Nice job anvilring, it has a nice early period carving look to it common to the "slim jim" or California styles of the day.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Dalton Masterson

Looks good! I like the finish on the holster. Looks nice and vintage. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards,
Here is my lastest attemp at a Holster rig, I the Dye is Vinagroon, I love it! All the stamps exept for 2 little ones, were ones I made
the belt loops are bad, I am going to redo them someday! I think I am improving each time I do a job i do! :) It was still made with all scrap, the holsters are 11oz veg tanned, the belt I was told was Buffalo? I don't have a clue1

Don't laugh your self to death, but enjoy :o

ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ace Lungger

This is a buckle i bought at a flea Market for $5.00.
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

anvilring

santee, I used a well dressed and sharpened awl with a a piece of antler for the handle. I've used a dremel but I had an Amish man show me how to use a needle and hand awl and was astonished at how fast he could lace up a harness. You have to have a good stitching horse and a properly dressed awl. I sometimes use a little pair of brass lined pliers to pull the needle through really thick leather but a lot of times, you can just pull it through with your fingers! That's the beauty of using an awl the right size for the thread and needle.

I'll post a pic of my home made horse and the awl if you like.

The finish on this holster is the same "Cavalryman's dressing" my former father-in-law (U.S. Army hon. discharge in 39)taught me how to make; simply a mix of bee's wax and neetsfoot oil. When cool its the consistancy of Crisco. You warm it up and put in on with a small paint brush then with the oven at 150o or so, (or just out in the summer sun) it will absorb the rest and leave it darkened, supple and waterproof.

santee

Nice border stamp on the holster, Ace. The dye job came out great!

Thanks for the info, Anvilring. I use an awl, too. Post a pic of your interesting awl, sure would like to see it!
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Anvilring,
That is a beautiful holster especially for the first one. I like the carving and design. I'm going to have to learn how to carve one of these days. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Howdy Ace,
You are getting to be a pro! Thats a nifty design. Your work keeps getting better and better. I'm happy that you are enjoying this fine hobby.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Tommy tornado

Quote from: Ace Lungger on May 14, 2008, 01:21:54 PM
This is a buckle i bought at a flea Market for $5.00.
ACE

Now all you need to complete that rig and gun set up is the "Hand of God" grips!  I like the rig.
# 356056

Ace Lungger

I want to thank everyone for the KUDDO's, I still got to cut off the bullets loops and redo them  :-[, and I am going to have to do some thinking on that.  i think I am going to make a pair of arm cuffs to match that rig!
Thanks again for the kind words!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

anvilring

Does someone have a good picture of the "Hand of God" grip?

Anyone??

regards, mitch

outrider

Anvilring,

Go to Will Ghormley's web site.  He has a good photo of the "hand of god" gun   willghormley_maker.com
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Irish Dave

Ace:

You're getting better with every piece. Keep it up, pard.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com