Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

TW,  :o Absolutely AWESOME :o No I am not shocked I just like that Icon, I have seen a lot of your work, and it is no less than TOP RATE, i love those!!! The detail that you put into those holsters are smoken!! When one of you guys post your work, it realy gets me going!!! The only problem I am facing, is that I get a idea in my head what i want to start on next, and then someone like you post those, and then I get to thinking, maybe i want to make them!  :-\ :-\ ??? :-\ I just got to get something laid out and get to work on it! My son is back from the west coast, My mother in law passed away Wensday night, so got that to deal with, and then I can get my self in gear!

TW, AWESOME JOB PARD  :)
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: santee on April 04, 2008, 06:32:24 AMTerrific work! Do most of you gents dye the flesh side of the holsters, too?
I don't always dye the flesh side when I use modern dyes because many of them rub off on your clothes. The vinegaroon doesn't rub off since it changes the color of the leather rather than adding pigment to it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents  :D

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments, I think everytime I make something I learn something new which makes this craft so interesting and fun. :D
           A BigThanks for sharing your talents and information to Dalton Masterson, & Marshal Will Wingam, I always look forward to hearing new ideas and thoughts. ??? :o 8)

Thanks again everyone for stopping by and taking a look  ;)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dalton Masterson

Depending on the holster I am making, I dye the flesh side. Usually a lighter color of the main body, like light brown with a med. or dark brown holster. Gives it a little contrast that way. Mainly on loop holsters I do that, on slims, not always, but I like to for a more finished look. I usually slather gum trag on the back of loop holsters to smooth them out, so they get sealed pretty good once I topcoat. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents  ;D

I just finished the grips for my Remington 1875 , and I took a few pictures, I think the color, hue, and tone came out better here than on the other picture , so if you pards don't mined I'll post them.  ???

Thanks for taking a look  :D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dalton Masterson

10 Wolves, they look great with those holsters! Color is outstanding. Did you use the leather dye as a stain? I did that on a knife handle, and it turned out well. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Dalton

I just got this Remington 1875, and the wood grain on these grips was beautiful but it was just to glassy and or too glossy looking for me and they felt slick and plastic to me, I liked the color so I didn't remove the old finish, I haven't used the spirit dyes on wood yet , but I know a lot of pards do with nice results , I plan on trying this one of these days. About 20 years ago I picked up some wonder type oil called Arrow at a gun show, and I forgot I had it , but I pulled it out , and read it , and I remember the demonstration, with this Arrow Oil you don't have to remove the old finish, you just work right over it and it blends right in , but it brings out the grain that is usuaaly hiding under any finish, you use a super fine wet-dry paper, I used a 500 wet -dry to get the finish here, of course you can use this oil on raw wood also. After I finished with the oil and sanding, I put the grips out in the sun for a couple of hours to dry, then I wiped them down with some Rubing Oil, the finish is now of a natural polished wood , but the best part is they grip a good 60% better than they did with that glossy finish on them, their almost like gripping real Ivory. I have a web site for the Arrow Oil some place , I'll try to find it and post it here. Thanks for your comments on my holster , I think the lighting was a whole better on this picture.

Take care Pard  ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

That really came out great. good photo, too. I like the gun, the holster, the branding iron and the spurs. Heck, I like the yucca, too. :D Good work, pard, I'm going to have to look for some of that Arrow oil. I have a few Uberti grips that need something done.

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Ten Wolves,

The grips and the holsters really compliment each other. Beautiful job!  Many thanks for posting this.

I would be interested the website for Arrow Oil as I have the same problem with the grips my Richards Mason Conversions.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents  :D

Thanks for the nice comments Marshal Will & Johnny McGrae, I'm real happy with the way things came out from the holsters to the grips, the grips have the best feel that I have ever had on a pair wood grips, like I said earlier their like Ivory, and you can't beat that with a stick. And to think I had this stuff in my gun supplies cabinet since 1984 and never used it, BOY DID I SCREW UP, I could have useing this stuff for over 20 years now, anyway at least I have rediscocered it. I found the web sites for Arrow Oil Stock Finish, and another site for quility wood stains so here they are.

Thanks again Pards , and have a great weekend. ;) :D

For the Arrow Oil Stock Finish go to    www.rb-treasures.com
              For stain go to                                 www.cheyennesales.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, 10W. I have it duly book marked. I'll round some up. :D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

;) :D ;D Will I know you will love this stuff , one thing though, after you finish your final application, and let it dry, use some rubbing oil to wipe everything down, and then you're done, it thats simple, I can't tell you where to get the rubbing oil , the pint can that I have has lasted me over thirty years, and it's still half full, it goes a long ways and you don't have to use very much, just put it on a small peice of old t-shirt and do your wiping this way. I bought it at Standard Brands when they were in business. I think Brownells or Midway USA have it.

Have fun  :D

Marshal Will Wingam

I wonder if the rubbing oil is linseed oil? I may just try that, anyway. Thanks.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Will, :D

Rubbing oil is a different blend of oil , it is thinner, I've always used it as the last step in rubbing out a gun stock or wood grip , I would use it together with rotten stone as an abrasive, and then finally by itself, Linseen oil is thicker and stickier, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, your just using it as last step wipe down and not a finish.
                   I use this process as a final step in finishing up the wood , after useing Lacquer, True-Oil , Lin-Speed, or any oil type wood finish. I would think any good paint store would carry this oil, good luck Pard, you're going to love the results, just remember just use the oil only as a wipe off agent  after your final coat of Arrow Oil has dried, if you rub too much you can put a gloss right back on it again.

Judge Lead

Marshall,
add some mineral turpentine to your linseed oil. This will thin it and has been used for some time to finish timber. Just make sure that you clean any excess off and give it a good buff.

Regards
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

santee

Thanks to the comments and info on this forum, my second holster came out much better than the first. The stitching in the back looks worlds better, and I suffered through the awl so I could have more control. Marshall was right, the stitch groove does make it look like the stitching grew out of the holster.
I slimmed the width of the skirt about 1/2", dropped the curve at the top for more pistol exposure, and used a Dark Brown dye (with less red in it). Tried my hand at a border, and am pleased with the results.

Now I'm working on a version of the Ben Wade holster. Okay...so I'm hooked. I blame you all. ;D
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

outrider

Howdy Pards:

Need your opinion on this project.  This is a "gun caddy" (holds two guns) that you attach to your gun cart or can carry it over your shoulder.  It is generally used when there is a break in the shooting and you take your guns off or transporting from the car to the shooting area.  It has two pouchs that oppose each other with a cover flap...similar to saddle bags or a flap holster.  This is the third one I have made and so far I have had no complaints from my clients...This is not my design..and is kind of a pain to make.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

outrider

In addition   the revolver is my new Great Western II.  I picked up a pair of SS versions yesterday. 

Ten Wolves...thanks for the input into these revolvers...I hope to get to the range this afternoon to try them out. 
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents  ;D :D ;)

You Pards are turning out some nice leather, Santee, Your right you're hooked , and we're happy to have you ride the trail with us , your second holster came out real nice, it even looks a little antiqued, I just started two years ago my ownself, and I've been hooked ever since, Santee this leather crafting just gets better and more fun the more you do it . Congrads Pard you did good, and now I can't wait to see you're next project. ::) :o 8)

Hello Outrider  :D

This is a neat idea pard , so you can strap this to your gun cart or over the shoulder, sorta like a REAL MANS PURCE, this would also be an easy way to pack your guns to an indoor range , although out here in California they like the guns locked up . but for CAS it would be just the ticket, sometimes there isn't a whole lot of room in the gun cart box , and this would free would free the space up for other goodies. GOOD IDEA. and I'll bet there will be a market for them too. ??? ::) 8) :D ;D

That's a dandy looking SS Great Western l l pard , and I know you're going to love it , if their anything like mine

Have fun at the range  :D ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the tip, Judge. I'll try it.

Quote from: santee on April 06, 2008, 10:26:21 AMNow I'm working on a version of the Ben Wade holster. Okay...so I'm hooked. I blame you all. ;D
Uh-huh. Good work, pard. I'd be honored to take part of the blame for feeding your habit. ;D Looking forward to more stuff.

Outrider, that's a nice design. It looks fully functional. For California, you could simply put a loop through the strap for a padlock. Bingo, lockable case. I'll remember that idea. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com