Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Pitspitr on April 01, 2008, 08:30:57 PM
I use Vista. here's a picture of the saddle again. As I said the stamps I have are a little different than what Collins/ Morrison had.

Thanks, that's great. Nice look to it.

Good job on those holsters, Johnny. You'll probably like the shotshells where you have them. I did that on my pistol belt and it is really great.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Marshall Will,

Thanks for the kind words and posting the picture of your rig.

That is top quality workmanship and a beautiful design!
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, Johnny. The belt design is similar to one on page 172 of Packing Iron, slightly narrowed and with the loops at the billet end so the end of the belt doesn't cause a safety issue by interfering with my left pistol at a match.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents

Will I guess I've been asleep at the helm. First off nice work on the wallet Pitspitr, and I like the stamp you used, it kind of looks like the cross stamp without the flower.  :D 8)

Johnny McGrae, your rig came out real well , and the web loops look nice in contras, useing that nickle cart buckle also gives it a nice look and a different look I have several of these buckles and I really like them , I remember Nick Barkley always wore one on his rig and his pant belt in The Big Valley, this setup should work out real well for you Pard, well done. ::) 8) ;D

Marshal Will , you did it again , this is a sharp looking rig , and I really like your border tooling, it sets it off real nice, and the color has depth to it, and by not having it all shiny it looks more period , I'm  just finishing a pair of Dodge City holsters myself, there a nice design, if things go well , I'll post pictures sometime this week. Does this belt have any cartridge loops or is this just for SG shells, I know some pards like to carry their cartridge ammo in their vest pockets. Well done Will . ;) :D ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

cowboywc

That's a great stamp on the saddle, it's a shame the stamper didn't take a little more time in making his
stamps line up.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

cowboywc

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: Pitspitr on April 01, 2008, 08:30:57 PM
I use Vista. here's a picture of the saddle again. As I said the stamps I have are a little different than what Collins/ Morrison had.

Pitspitr, what are the dimensions of the Morrison stamp from point to point? Also, is the brown background lower than the white lines that make up the design? I'd like ta tryin' make that stamp if you don't mind?

Thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on April 02, 2008, 01:12:28 PMI really like your border tooling, it sets it off real nice, and the color has depth to it, and by not having it all shiny it looks more period , I'm  just finishing a pair of Dodge City holsters myself, there a nice design, if things go well , I'll post pictures sometime this week. Does this belt have any cartridge loops or is this just for SG shells, I know some pards like to carry their cartridge ammo in their vest pockets. Well done Will . ;) :D ;D
Thanks for the compliments. I made a left holster, too, but it didn't add to the photo so it isn't in it. The border pattern is basically a copy of the one on a holster at the bottom of page 102 in Packing Iron. The dye is Chuck Burrows' vinegaroon dye recipe, completely correct for the 1800's. It produces a very beautiful black that modern dyes can't come close to. I didn't put any cartridge loops on it. Instead, I use a belt pouch for extra rounds.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Marshal Will Wingam

Will I think you captured the look real  well, and useing Chuck Burrows recipe, how long did you leave the leather submerged in the dye ? , or did you ?, anyway it came out looking great , I'm going to have to make me up a batch of this dye , you just cant beat the look.  ;D Your border tooling is right on to , and really stands out even though it's in black, this is where that Vinegaroonn, makes the difference. Thanks for sharing Will.  :D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dalton Masterson

Heres my latest pair of 5.5" Vaquero holsters made from Wills Cheyenne pattern.
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Dr. Bob

Marshal Will,

That vinegaroon die sure puts a fine color on the leather.  Deep & soft, rather than the harsh look of the modern dies.

Dalton M.,

I like the border stamping that you used.  Looks great!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Dang Dalton  :D

Pard I think you have this holster thing down pat Pard, these holsters are beautiful, I like the way you put multi lines on your work , it looks real period , but classy too, and thats one of my favorites on the tooling , is that  10/12 ounce Veg Tan you used for this, it looks nice and thick, and did you use a dye or stain, the color is very nice, Dalton you're rolling these new  holsters out about every other day it seems like, Well done Pard  ::) :o 8) :D

Take Care Pard

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents  :D

Will I just finished my Will Ghormely Dodge City Holsters, so here they are

Dr. Bob

10 W.,

WOW, those are beauts!!  Great work!!  Lots and Lots of great work showing up these days.  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Dalton Masterson

10 Wolves, those look really great! I just got that pattern here a few weeks ago, but havent tried any yet.
Those holsters are actually 9-10, and I used Fiebings Saddle Tan Oil, with a wash of Saddle Tan antique stain, followed by Satin Shene.

As far as roling them out quickly, I found if I start Friday night and work on it thru the weekend, with the main brunt being late friday, I can have them pretty much done or at least stitched by the end of the weekend. May have to do edges and topcoats yet tho. I do both at the same time, so I can make them match each other easier. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice looking holsters, pards. Will does make good patterns, for sure. I really like your stamping on Will's Cheyenne holster, that's a great pattern. I had to make a couple before I got my pattern to look right. Could have saved all the hassle by just buying his to start. I'll do that next time. 10W, I may have to modify my Dodge City pattern to make the top line more like his. I really like that look.

10W, I wiped the vinegaroon on liberally until it made a nice rich black. After it dried, I soaked it in baking soda and water until it stopped bubbling, maybe a minute or two. Then I neutralized it with a light coat of olive oil after that dried.

cowboywc

santee

Terrific work! Do most of you gents dye the flesh side of the holsters, too?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Dalton & Ten Wolves,

Beautiful job Pards! You can both be very proud of your work.

Describing your techniques for finishing the leather is great. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

HorsePen Henry

I second that motion! Dern nice looking rigs and many thanks for sharing your recipes with us.

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com