Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

:D ;D   DM you're getting better and better every minute, nice job pard, is that a S&W 5 shot hammerless  I see tuck in that new holster ?

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice work, Dalton. I should make a pocket holster one of these days. That one sure looks good.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dalton Masterson

Thank you for the compliments. That is actually a 1895 or thereabouts Hopkins and Allen hammerless .32 5 shot. Only has a little nick in the nickel, other than that is in great shape. Had the grips cast off of the originals, which are put away. Good little shooter, but only likes black. Smokeless factory loads make it want to come apart. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Neat little gun DM, and it looks like it's in real good shape, I have a S&W 5 shot 38 hammerless, that an old friend gave over 40 years ago, it's in very good condition , except for some of the nickle has come off , I've never shot it , but I've been told that it's perfectly safe to shot, so maybe I'll do that one of these days , it came with a little Mexican one loop holster, carved and laced, and it to is in like new condition , I'll have to post a picture of them together one of these days.

Take care Dalton , and thanks for sharing  :D 8)

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Dalton,

Neat design and beautiful workmanship on your Pocket Holster!

I'll have to make one like that for my wife's S&W Model 65.

Appreciate your sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

santee

Hey all. Just completed my first holster.  ;D  I learned a lot and look forward to making more.
I didn't want to tackle tooling on the first one. Just wanted to get the basics down and see the project through to get an idea of the process. It's Will Ghormley's West Texas pattern with a squared off bottom dyed with Fiebling's medium brown.

I gave up on the awl after the second hole and went for the 1/16" drill bit. By the way, you don't want to see the back of the holster (the stitching line looks like it belongs on Frankenstein). Guess I have to master that. Any tips?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Santee, :D

You did good Pard , I bet you feel good , after making your first holster , I know I did , and your right you probably learned a hole lot by doing it , now that you got your feet wet , I bet you can't wait to get going on something else, so have fun pard , YOU'RE HOOKED NOW  ;D

santee

Thanks, Ten Wolves. I'm now inspired to make another. Maybe the same pattern with some nice tooling.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

outrider

Geez..looks like I have somecatching up to do here.

Dalton...excellant job on those holsters...like Ten Wolves I also have a S&W Safety hammerless

Santee...That is quite impressive for your first holster.. I have a feeling you will be a regular on this thread... ;D
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

All right, Santee. Nice going. That's great. I remember how my first one felt good to get finished. What it did was to get me going on more of 'em. Nice job. Good color for it. Looking forward to your next one with some design on it.

On the stitch line, cut a stitch groove first and then punch your holes in the groove. When you stitch it, the thread will lie down below the surface and line up with the groove.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

santee

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on March 28, 2008, 11:17:12 PM
All right, Santee. Nice going. That's great. I remember how my first one felt good to get finished. What it did was to get me going on more of 'em. Nice job. Good color for it. Looking forward to your next one with some design on it.

On the stitch line, cut a stitch groove first and then punch your holes in the groove. When you stitch it, the thread will lie down below the surface and line up with the groove.
Thanks, Outrider and Marshal! Good tip on the sewing.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ace Lungger

My wife is going to the city today shopping, she ask me if i needed anything  ::) I replied that I didn't realy needed anything but  :) :) I would like to have the book Packing Iron  ;D, to my suprise she said she would get it for me  :o :o :o  :)
So you guys know that i am a happy camper!
  I have not ever see the inside of the book, and I know I will enjoy it. But I can say this, With this THREAD and I have went threw all 74 pages, I have saw the most AWESOME WORK EVER  :)
I would like congrad EVERYONE THAT POSTED THERE STUFF, and also I would LIKE TO THANK ALL THE VETERAN LEATHER WORKERS WHO HAVE HELPED many people like me, MY HAT IS OFF TO ALL OF YOU :) :)

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

outrider

Ace:

Another good reference book is "Cowboys & The Trappings of the Old West"  Lot's of good photos of all kinds of gear
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Santee,

Congratulations on completing your first holster. Its a great feeling of accomplishment. You did a nice job!

Please keep us posted on your future projects.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

santee

Thanks, Johnny. Much like Ace, I must have gone through this string gandering at everyone's work 10 times. You all do such fine work.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Dalton Masterson

Very good work there Santee. Looks good especially for a first time holster.
Heres a pic of the ones I did for my Starrs. Started them late friday after figuring out what went wrong with a pattern I had made previously. Took the carving out of Packing Iron and applied it to these.
I dont have any top finish on them other than some Lexol. I wanted to antique them, but dont want to fill in the carving, so.... will antique them naturally. You know, wear them out and shoot the holy black with them till they look good.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Dalton Masterson

And heres a few I did in the last few weeks of officesitting at work.
The Cheyenne is for a Schofield, and the other is for a S&W K frame, right out of the How to Make Holsters book.
Had a nasty cut in the leather but used it anyway on the Schofield. Its got a slight antique look to it.
The Model K was the first time using that basketweave stamp, and wasnt too impressed with it. My other basketweaves seem to line up better by dropping a corner in the hole left by the previous stamp. This one didnt. Oh well.
BTW, I dont have guns for either of these, so they arent fitted at all. That is usually my reason for more guns according to my wife. (She knows the truth tho).
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello Dalton

Nice work Pard, they both look good , I really like the Cheyenne holster , and the cut in the leather just gives it character,  and I really like the double lines around the border and on the the inside this really sets it off giving it a classy look. I bet you wish you could have more of that office detail, ??? ;D Wow Dalton, I had to modify my reply, I totally missed your rig for your Srars, these are totally Awsome, and so is the look of the picture, kinda Chuck Burrows style , you really out did yourself on these, to get this look , do you dye your leather first and then do your knife work, to get it to show lighter where cut? this really looks like it came right out of Packing Iron. This is a job really well done.  ::) :o 8) ;D

Dalton Masterson

Ten Wolves, yes I did my stitch groove, then dyed the leather. Then while it was still damp I carved it. Took a lot of stropping, that dye really hardens the leather a bunch.
Look at pg 85 in the PI book. That one is the pattern. It looks to me like it was done after the holster was made, and I tried to copy that as much as possible.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

HorsePen Henry

Here are a couple of pictures of a belt I made here while back. Getting ready to start some holsters for my pistoles.

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com