Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny McCrae

This is a rig I made to practice and experiment with. I wanted to try putting shotgun shells on the holster belt. I don't know if this will be practical or not. I also wanted to try some decorating with stiching. The loops are made out of cotton webbing that I dyed.

The holster shown in the pictures will be used as a cross draw for my Richards Mason with a 4" barrel. I am finishing a matching strong side holster for a RM with a 7-1/2" barrel.

I seem to get a little sloppy and rush too much when I don't do leather-working for a while. I have to remember to slow down and think before going to the next step.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

HOWDY DO Johnny

I'd say your holster turned out real nice, I have an old Alfonso Penada rig with that pattern on the gun belt , I always liked that, your webbing looks good too, let me know how you like having your shot gun shells on your gun belt.

Take care Pard , good to have you back  :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Tommy tornado

Johnny, where did you get the cotton webbing?
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Johnny McCrae

Howdy TT,

I bought this Cotton Webbing from a mail order company in Indiana called Jas. Townsend & Son Inc. The link to their website is https://www.jas-townsend.com  Look under "Goods-Fabric". You can buy this webbing by the yard and they ship orders real fast.

I bought several sizes. I used 1" heavy for the .38 special cartridges and 1-1/2" Heavy for the 12 ga, shells.
The Medium weight seemed a bit on the flimsy side. The color was pretty light so I dyed the webbing before I used it with Ritt Dye.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Marshal Will Wingam

Good rig, Johnny. The shotgun loops on the belt really work nicely. I did that with my most recent rig and it is way better than slides. More correct for the era, too. Thanks for the photos.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

colemadjack

I would like to show a holster I have just made . Ihave tried to make it look antique and designed it my self.
I ride for the Brand

cowboywc

Howdy
Great job. It does look antique.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Colemanjack

You did a nice job pard , good design and definitely antique looking I like that you put a large skirt on the back , and a modest, amount of border stamping, looks real PC, and so does your gun. ::) 8)

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

panhead pete

Howdy Colemadjack,

That is one nice piece, Amigo!!  How did you antique it?  I agree with Ten Wolves regarding the border stamping. 

First class leather, all the way.

Panhead Pete

colemadjack

Hi Guys,
          Thanks for the kind comments . To get the antique look  I mixed a suede dye with oil and applied it with a small brush working in small circles untill I got the effect I wanted .It worked out fine.
I ride for the Brand

Irish Dave

I think you achieved your aim. Nice job, pard.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Good job, Colemadjack. The finish on it really looks original. Nice work. The simple border design works well and really adds to the overall antique appearance. I've been offline for a couple days and that was nice to come back to.

cowboywc

Quote from: Arabela Kid on April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM
OK pards, it is time to show off your talents. I would like to see pictures of holsters, belts, sheaths, etc.... that you have made yourself. Let's see what ya got!!!!
Howdy
I'm in the middle of building my second saddle. The first was a kids pony saddle. This one is not period
but I thought someone might like to see it. I'm going to enter in the saddle contest in May at the Sheridan
Leather Show.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

I like it, pard. Nice saddle. Good diamond stamping on the horn. Thanks for the pics. Let us know how it goes in the contest.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy WC

That saddle is taking shape real well, I'm going to have to stop in and take a closer look  :o ::) 8)

Dalton Masterson

I know I posted a pic of this on my other post, but here we go. My newest rig for my Rugers. Made from Wills Cheyenne pattern, and copied from a holster in Packing Iron, with the addition of spots.
Belt is made not to match, as I will wear it with other holsters as well. Also, I dont think there were a lot of matched rigs back then anyhoo.
Used Wills brass buckle to match the brass spots. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks really good, Dalton. The border design on them is really appropriate. Nice rig. Will should be proud to see one of his buckles in use, too. Nice work.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Dalton, I thought I was loseing it for a minute, I just posted on your work down below, but now that i'm here , i'll say it again , WELL DONE ,Pard, you're becoming a real artest  ;D

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D

Daniel Nighteyes

I don't consider myself a leathersmith, exactly, but here's a recent project that I'm purty proud of.  It's a boot/belt scabbard for a knife that I picked up for less than $10 at a recent gunshow.

[links broken - deleted by moderator]

Whadda y'all think?

Dalton Masterson

Daniel, that looks like a pretty good sheath there! Nice work! I wish I had the patience to do that lacing.  :-[
Nice knife for a good price too! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com