Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalton Masterson

Ten Wolves, that is fine looking for a first time carving! Holster looks great too! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks Dalton

I can't tell you how good it makes me feel to be able to do this now , it's opened up a whole new adventure in leather for me , and thanks Dalton for the kind words Pard  :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

And you to Cowboy WC, I appreciate it Pard  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Black Powder

Moms have always liked the gifts their kids made the best, and 10WF, you really must've put a big smile on her face with that purse.  Good for you both!

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Dalton Masterson

Heres my newest project for a knife I picked up last sunday. It is handmade cable damascus by a gentleman in Smith Center Ks. Bought it needing to finish the grip and the guard.
Wanted a smaller blade to carry at work if I so choose.
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice work, 10W. It's nice to go back and look at your first stuff. That purse was a good one. It looks much like the second thing I ever made which was a checkbook cover for my mom. I guess that isn't uncommon. ;D Nice work on the holster, too. I don't have any examples of my first holsters. Wish I did. I do have other things, though. Thanks for sharing.

Dalton, that's a good-looking sheath. I like simple designs that work. Thanks for showing it to us.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

outrider

Ten Wolves:

All I can say is  "THAT A BOY"...the purse and the holster look really good.  You stick with it and you will see that with practice your carving will improve each time you do it.  If your hand starts to bother you...put the project down for awhile..it's not going anywhere until your done with it.  Good job pard.... ;) :)

Yesterday at our monthly shoot they used an old false teeth rigging frame as part of the scenario...what a blast...thought I would show you what they look like

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Pitspitr

Hi Guys, Sorry for the tardy replies, I had the flu all last week and it's been kicking my butt.

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on February 20, 2008, 09:20:57 PM
That's first rate, Pitspitr. You chose a nice parttern for it and did the pattern aligned with the fold in the holster and on the belt the same. Many people do basket weaves at an angle so any errors don't show as much.
That's one of the things I learned since I made that first holster (It was my very first attempt at basketweave stamping). However; if I was going to use that first holster it meant I was going to have to do the rest of the set the same way.

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on February 20, 2008, 07:08:37 PM
           Boy Pard, did you sit down one night , and say to yourself , self I'm going to make a beautiful ,Fancy rig that nobody else has , will I think you did it , you really did a nice job here , your tooling is perfect , and it's different , it really looks sharp, sort of a BBQ type rig . :D ;D 8)
Thanks Ten Wolves, The rig did turn out pretty photogenic. Never really thought of it as a BBQ rig but I guess it'd work for that  :) I am actually thinking of having my 3" Schofield turned into a BBQ gun and making a fancy shoulder harness for it. I recently got stamps that will allow me to replicate the stamping on my 1880's Collins/ Morrison saddle and am thinking that I might decorate that holster that way.

Quote from: dalton masterson on February 20, 2008, 09:28:44 PM
Now Colonel, that is one fine looking rig! Might look funny with your uniform tho!
Thanks Dalton, Your right it would look funny with the uniform, I suspect it won't get worn that way much. The plan when I made the original holster was that it was for my son (we share the same initials) but my wife nixed that idea, so for now we share pistols. He'll end up with it eventually. While he's a pretty good historian too, he's less into the military history and just likes to shoot cowboy guns fast!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Pitspitr

10W You know, that's one of the nice things about leatherworking, It's therapudic and I'll bet you mom would'nt have been any happier if you'd bought her a new house!

DM Nice knive sheaths!
I'm working on one now too, but I haven't touched any leather since monday. I don't think it's going to turn out as nice as your's, but I guess it'll work. BTW I saw your mark in the other thread, looks good!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Black Powder on February 23, 2008, 04:29:03 PM
Moms have always liked the gifts their kids made the best, and 10WF, you really must've put a big smile on her face with that purse.  Good for you both!

BP
Thanks BP, Moms  tend to like what their kids make for them , in her eyes I can do do wrong.

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on February 23, 2008, 09:15:19 PM
Nice work, 10W. It's nice to go back and look at your first stuff. That purse was a good one. It looks much like the second thing I ever made which was a checkbook cover for my mom. I guess that isn't uncommon. ;D Nice work on the holster, too. I don't have any examples of my first holsters. Wish I did. I do have other things, though. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Marshal Will Wingam, I didn't to go back too far for the purse , I made that  a month ago , This is what's nice about these new cameras, I can store all my stuff in the PC now, and bring it out when I want it , I also use some of these pictures as wall paper on my PC.
                                                     tEN wOLVES
Quote from: outrider on February 24, 2008, 07:50:05 AM
Ten Wolves:

All I can say is  "THAT A BOY"...the purse and the holster look really good.  You stick with it and you will see that with practice your carving will improve each time you do it.  If your hand starts to bother you...put the project down for awhile..it's not going anywhere until your done with it.  Good job pard.... ;) :)

Yesterday at our monthly shoot they used an old false teeth rigging frame as part of the scenario...what a blast...thought I would show you what they look like

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thanks Outridder,
      You were right Pard , when you said to me a year ago , and quote, ( give yourself time and you will be carving just like the rest of us ),I never forgot that Pard , and now I know the fun and joy in doing this. ;D and I like the false teeth ringing thing , looks like fun.

tEN wOLVES
Quote from: Pitspitr on February 24, 2008, 11:39:57 AM
10W You know, that's one of the nice things about leatherworking, It's therapudic and I'll bet you mom would have been any happier if you'd bought her a new house!
Thanks Pitspitr
        Your right, Mom couldn't have been happier, she right away went to show her friends , and pard , about be therapudic , thats how I got started in this , two years ago, Cowboy WC, persuaded me to give it a try , and that it would be good for my hand, so I did , and boy howdy was he right , and I'll always be gratfull to him for that. :D

And Dalton

Pard that is a nice knife sheath, and good looking knife , you were lucky to fine it , have you ever thought about makeing your own knife , I did one of the kits not long ago, and it was a lot of fun, and the knife came out nice too, anyway you did good pard, and the knife looks real good in the sheath  ;D

In case anyone wondered why I sign my handle like this with the caps messed up , it's because since I've been doing this when ever I sign off , I always get the caps backwards , so I finally just gave into it , and now I don't go back every time to correct it .. JUST IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING , im mixed up that way.]
                                                                       tEN Wolves  ??? ::) :o ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Dalton

I'm back again , I forgot to ask you on my last post, I've been looking at your knife and sheath, is the handle maple , it looks like some sort of burl, of some kind , is the blade about 3 1/2" long, the reason I'm asking , I'm going to be making another knife here in a few more weeks , I 'm going to get my material from Crazy CRows Trading Post, and I'm thinking of making a knife similar to yours , I don't know if I will be able to find the wood I'm looking for, I like the long full handle , on a short blade, being in the meat business , all the years that I was , I always had a few favorites, and a knife like this was great when it came to boning out beef necks , so I would like to make one similar to that but more period , with a nice handle, and carbon steel blade. you did a nice job on the sheath , and thats a great way to carry it . I don't plan on boning out anymore beef necks , but I always liked the way that short blade full handle felt .

Take care Pard

Dalton Masterson

Yes TWF, it is just over 3 1/2" from brass to tip and is birdseye maple. Use leather dye (medium brown on mine) to stain the wood. It penetrates very well on maple. Thank you for the compliments on the sheath. I am proudly wearing it to work as I type. DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello Dalton

Thanks for the reply and information  :D

tEN wolves  ;) :D ;D

panhead pete

Howdy All,

I have attached a picture of my replica from page 79 of Packing Iron.  I shoot 51 Navy Conversions, so this will be for my right hand even though the recurve is cut on both sides!

Thanks,

Panhead Pete

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy panhead pete

you did a real nice job pard, it looks like you even put a toe plug in , looks good   ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES   :D ;D

panhead pete

Howdy Ten Wolves,

Thanks for the kind words.  I have yet to master the perfect stitch spacing on the bottom of the toe plug, but I am getting there.

Happy Trails,

Panhead

Black Powder

Stitch spacing off, ya say?  Balderdash.  Y'all do great work.  Creative, obviously fulfilling.

OK, pards, so give it to me straight.  I can take the truth.  I'm just startin' out.  How long ya give me before I give in to the urge to give this a whirl?  What's the prognosis?  I think I may have it bad.  But I'm lookin' for a second opinion.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Dalton Masterson

It may be terminal BP. You may as well grab a handful of tools and some old dead critter and get to work! Welcome!

Nice job on that holster there Panhead! Looks good, and so does the spacing! DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Good job, Pete. It's good that you put the toe plug in. It really makes it look right. Good color for it, too. Keep 'em coming.

Quote from: Black Powder on February 26, 2008, 10:13:01 PMOK, pards, so give it to me straight.  I can take the truth.  I'm just startin' out.  How long ya give me before I give in to the urge to give this a whirl?  What's the prognosis?  I think I may have it bad.  But I'm lookin' for a second opinion.

Yep, you're hosed. Ya better go for it because there's no turning back, now. The only way through this crisis is to give in to it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

hOWDY GENTS

Panhead, your spaceing looked fine to me , but thats just part of it , the maker always see's things other people don't , and thats because you now have a personal relationship with this holster, I'm the same way with everything I make , it drives me crazy sometimes , but I love it . :D
                                                    tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D

Howdy BP
                          I give you 6 months at the most  ??? ::) ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

Hey there PHP, nice to see you here. I'm not too active on CAS City though this is a board I check when I can. Neat stuff and nice people.

To everyone here, Panhead Pete is a helluva leatherworker and if he's not too modest (hint, hint) might post his website address.

Also, hello again BP - making leather items is addictive and I highly recommend you try it - my guess is you'll have a great time making good stuff. Also nice not having to pay the big bucks if you can make what you need with your own embellishments and documentation. Post a picture of your first project.

YMH&OS,

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com