Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboywc

Howdy
Thank you all for the kind words.
Marshall that is checkering done with the swivel knife.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: cowboywc on February 14, 2008, 02:19:22 PMMarshall that is checkering done with the swivel knife.
That's what I thought. I've done similar, but not that detailed.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Black River Johnny

Heres one i made for fast draw. it is a little modified but mostly just stretched the bejesus out of it. and cut down the front alittle.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/john4645/IMG_1273.jpg

Marshal Will Wingam

That's really nice. I like those slim jim's. That one really has an authentic look to it. I like the dark brown, too. Good work.

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

All,

Thought I'd post a few old west related things I've made over the years though the stuff adds up and the canvas wasn't quite big enough to fit it all. I took a picture of some of the classics you might recognize from Packing Iron and a couple other sources.

Gotta love leatherworking - a labor of love. I didn't know how much I missed it until I was deployed a couple of times and couldn't make things for awhile.

I like much of what I see here posted from everyone, especially the artistry. Good stuff.

YMH&OS,

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Monterrey' Jack Brass

Pardner you've done your home work , nice collection , and well made , everything looks period and old, looks right out of Packing Iron, or the 1800's , My hats off to ya Pard  ;D And pard I hope your not deployed any more , and that your home to stay, I want to see more leather work from you . :D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice work, pard. Great collection of stuff. You did a good job on all of them. Thanks for sharing.

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

10Wolves5Shooter & Marshall W.W.

Not worried about deploying again but am glad to have served and it's great to be back for almost a year & 1/2.

Thanks for your kind words regarding my stuff. I only putz around with leatherworking, it's nothing professional but I try to get the right look by using simple techniques from what I have seen on some original pieces and by looking closely at pictures. As most of what I copy is simply constructed the results follow pretty close.

I also use period tools on most of what I make - got lucky about 10 years ago and found a complete saddler's tool set and have added a couple of pieces over the years. Most of the set is C.S. Osbourne and I pictures it below. Good thing the images I'm posting were already stored on my computer as it's a pain to lay this stuff out quickly for a picture...!

YMH&OS,

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 

outrider

Wow..that tool set is awsome.  I would love to find something like that for sure.  Even though Chattanooga was famous for saddlery's (three still in operation) and tanneries...those types of tools are hard to find around here.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Those tools are truly outstanding. I love things like that. Heck, the toolbox alone is a great find. To have it full of original tools is a heck of a bonus. Being able to use those tools is the best thing that can happen with them. Thanks for posting the picture. Many thanks.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Boy Pard you're not foolen around are you , NICE SET  :o :o ::) ??? ;) :D ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Sawdust Jim

Indeed!
What a nice set of tools. From the photos you've posted, you do nice work with them as well.

Jim
SASS # 62093

Irish Dave

Hey, Brass. Good to see you here. Missed you and James at Convention.

Very nice work there pard.
I had a similar situation many years ago. Though not as nice an outfit as yours, there was an old leatherworker in these parts who passed away back in the '70s and left his whole kit to a horse-lovin' friend of mine. After storing and moving it about for a couple of years, she finally decided that she was never gonna use the stuff and passed it on to me. I still use those tools to this day. I've repaired his kit box a half-dozen times and of course, added to the collection, but there's a special feeling I get every time I open up that box and pull out that old man's tools.

KInda makes me feel like I have to do them/him justice if you know what I mean.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

Fellows,

Yes, I am rather lucky to have found the complete kit and if my memory serves, the price for the whole set at the time came out to something over $4.00 per piece in the set (including the box). So I didn't mind forking over the cash to that antique store for the goods. It is fun to use those tools – too bad I really can't do them the justice they deserve.

Another picture is posted below. It is a hunter's companion I based on the one pictured in Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters and Skinners E-K by M. Gilbert. This is the only other picture I have on hand of anything I've made.

Repo hunter's companion. Also in picture are: sharpening steel, sticking & skinning knives; butcher knife and sheath (sheath based on one I saw in an 1872 tintype); round-head knife; hide hooks

Original hunter's companion used in 1881-82 by J. R. Edwards who hunted buffalo in Montana (shown on page 4 Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters and Skinners E-K by M. Gilbert, 2006)

[Deleted by moderator - Link lost, photo moved or deleted]

YMH&OS,

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 

Pitspitr

Here are a couple of photos of my latest project. Looking back I see I posted the photo of the right hand holster just over 2 years ago. When I got a matching pistol last fall I decided I needed a complete set of gun leather for it. I've learned a few things in the intervening time but unfortunately I didn't get the antiqueing to be quite as close a match as I'd hoped.

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

How Do Pitspitr

Boy Pard, did you sit down one night , and say to yourself , self I'm going to make a beautiful ,Fancy rig that nobody else has , will I think you did it , you really did a nice job here , your tooling is perfect , and it's different , it really looks sharp, sort of a BBQ type rig . :D ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice hunter's companion, Jack. I like it. Cool the way they simply stick the steel out the bottom. I'm not familiar with them so they're new to me. Thanks for the introduction.

That's first rate, Pitspitr. You chose a nice parttern for it and did the pattern aligned with the fold in the holster and on the belt the same. Many people do basket weaves at an angle so any errors don't show as much. You did extremely well putting it on the hardest possible way. Good work.

Dalton Masterson

Now Colonel, that is one fine looking rig! Might look funny with your uniform tho! Wow, that does look good tho. DM ;D ;D
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

cowboywc

Howdy Pal
That's a really nice job on the holster. Picture does not do it justice.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents

Will thanks to a lot of Pards , and my 87 year old Mom encourageing me to try carving, which I haven't been able to do , because of a injured left hand, and I'm left handed,my Mom wanted me to make her a small purse , so I couldn't say no to Mom, so I got one of those kits from Tandy which I already had a gift certificate from Christmas, so I did my first ever leather carving, useing a swivel knife, also for the first time, I went slow , and had to rest my hand several times along the way, BUT I DID IT , next I wanted to do a Cheyenne holster , with a flower design,I used Will Ghormely patern for this, and altered it a little bit, I shortened the skirt, and dropped the top of the holster down a couple of inches from the top of the belt, and put a slit mussel to the rear cant, I used 12 to 14 ounce saddle skirting that I got from Cowboy WC in his store , Standing Bears Trading Post, so this is a real sturdy holster, I had to skive the loops to make them a little easier to get the body of the holster through them, and it worked just fine, so heres the pictures

tEN wOLVES

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com